Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-13-2008, 01:55 PM   #1
jacksonunit
Sand Bender
jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle1/iPhone/iPad/Droid/KindleDX/Kindle 3G/Kindle Touch/Kindle Fire
Tech Books on Kindle

I have this fantasy of having all my technical reference books with me on my kindle. One of the most useful one to have with me at away games is Scott Mueller's "Upgrading and Repairing PCs" which I have found in the Kindle store for quite a bit less than the dead-tree version. Actually, I think it may take several trees to produce this particular gem. The last version I got was almost cubicle in form.

Anyway, I just wanted to ask if anybody has Kindle versions of any technical books. I know there are illustrations and drawings galore in U&RPCs but the important ones are line drawings so they ought to translate pretty well. The other thing I wonder about is the multi media materials that come with the book are actually pretty helpful and include some utility PC applications that can make geek life easier and I'd hate to miss out on these.

If nobody warns me off of it I'll probably get it tomorrow.

Of course if it allows you to check out a sample that will make it much easier to decide if I want to spend the 32 bucks for the Kindle version.

I'll have all these answers in probably less than twentyfour hours... I'm just juking around on the stick while I wait.

tick tick tick tick tick tick tick......
jacksonunit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 02:28 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I have a couple textbooks on my Kindle, and I strongly urge you not to get one for the purposes of having tech books. If you do, you will need to learn a whole new way of looking stuff up. So far, the method I've developed is slower than using a pbook.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2008, 03:46 PM   #3
cfw123
Enthusiast
cfw123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I have a reasonable number of such technical books on my Kindle, all ebooks in PDF formats, which Kindle converts reasonable well, but there is software available which will convert PDFs to HTML which might look better. The advantage of having these on your Kindle is that the search looks at ALL books on your Kindle, not just one as most search programs do. And this is very important with tech books, since often you don't really know where to search.

But for me, the weight savings is critical. I don't throw away my original ebooks, just keeping them in less handy locations where I can find them again if I really have to. But to date I've never wanted to look at one of my "archive" books, which are all printed and in 3-ring binders, but I just can't see discarding them. But in the future, I will cease printing them, and just keep the archive version on my hard drive (I have two terabytes of storage on my home server), using the Kindle version instead of the printed version.

Of course I have an 8 GB Sandisk Ultra II SDHC memory card, which gives me the capacity to store thousands of books on my Kindle. So far I've only used 0.3 GB of this storage. By year end Sandisk has annouced they will have a 32 GB version, which boggles my mind as to how many books it can store. Today my home directory already has 30 pages of entries, but I've heard Kindle will try to make this better for users.

Charles Wilkes, San Jose, Calif.
cfw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:37 PM   #4
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I'd like to see an option to search the current book in addition to searching all. Search all can really come in handy but sometimes I know I want to find something in the book I'm reading. It would be much faster. They could make it another @ command.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote