Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-19-2012, 07:10 PM   #16
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
You mean descendants of course... But you realize that your ancestors n'ont pas fait le bon choix? Alors tu en subi les conséquences aujourd'hui... They should have come back (mine did), and then you would already have your Glo (as well as medicare)
My ancestors would turn over in their grave if they knew Kobo was treating their descendents this way. And, I'm hoping to visit Quebec and St-Joseph-de-Beauce this summer to kinda make up for G-G Grandpa running off like that.

But in the mean time I want a Kobo!

Geez, I hope I'm getting my message across
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:13 PM   #17
tnforpaul45
Zealot
tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle DX
The inability of American customers to get their hands on a Kobo Glo is starting to rise almost to the level of an international incident.

Meanwhile, thanks to a very kindly Forum member, mine is on its way to Alabama

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrII View Post
My ancestors would turn over in their grave if they knew Kobo was treating their descendents this way. And, I'm hoping to visit Quebec and St-Joseph-de-Beauce this summer to kinda make up for G-G Grandpa running off like that.

But in the mean time I want a Kobo!

Geez, I hope I'm getting my message across
tnforpaul45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2012, 11:32 PM   #18
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The inability of American customers to get their hands on a Kobo Glo is starting to rise almost to the level of an international incident.
Yes, I'm afraid this could swing the American elections, as whichever party most effectively taps into the growing sense of frustration with the current wave of "Kobo hoarding" in Canada, is most likely to win.

(And, please, let's not blame the Japanese, that kind of behavior is not only transparent it's shameful.) I mean it's not like we see long threads about "how happy we are with our Kobo's" originating from Japan. Believe me, we are not that dumb - and please don't site the re-election of George Bush as evidence to the contrary, it's not like we haven't heard that one before.

Anyway, sell us a few Kobo's (well at least one) and let's give cooler heads a chance to prevail. What do you say, huh? We've had a good relationship, lets not end it this way.

Let's give peace a chance.

(And just in case anybody forgot, a black one with a cover, would be preferable.)

Old 10-19-2012, 11:39 PM   #19
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Maybe what we need is a state of detente.

The American stores can sell covers for the Glo and Mini, and the Canadian stores sell the devices themselves.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:10 AM   #20
Tzar
World War II buff
Tzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Dear Canadians,

I would like to sincerely apologize for any failed attempts by the United States to invade Canada. I want you to understand, we never meant anything personal, we just didn't understand why you liked the British better than us.
Well, there is roughly about 25% of Canadians who were not, and still aren't enamored too much by the British too, they're called Quebecers

Joke aside, I guess the frustration you feel about Kobo in the U.S. is basically the same frustration a lot of Canadians feel towards Amazon! You would think it shouldn't be that difficult to get these new Kindles over the northern border at the same time they do in the U.S. But no! It takes forever, like months and months before Amazon finally starts shipping their new Kindle releases in Canada.

And that's why I own a Kobo

But even if you're in the US, can't you just order your Kobo through a 3rd-party vendor (like shopereaders.com or a similar store) ?
Tzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2012, 09:43 AM   #21
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I think Kobo may be retaliating against American citizens for Amazon's slight against Canada (not releasing the PW in Canada straight away)
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:53 AM   #22
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
I think Kobo may be retaliating against American citizens for Amazon's slight against Canada (not releasing the PW in Canada straight away)
I think Kobo are probably happy that Amazon is doing that.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:26 AM   #23
fbrII
F. BluDevil

Quote:
Well, there is roughly about 25% of Canadians who were not, and still aren't enamored too much by the British too, they're called Quebecers
Yes, and we probably both have some distant relatives living in Louisiana who might be willing to add a few words on the topic as well.

Quote:
But even if you're in the US, can't you just order your Kobo through a 3rd-party vendor (like shopereaders.com or a similar store) ?
First, thank you for the suggestion but a sixty dollar premium (cough, cough) makes a pretty sound argument for considering the virtue of patience.

Or, for considering other options

Kobo, I have a credit card and an urge to buy - Call me!

Don't make me root a Nook!

Last edited by fbrII; 10-20-2012 at 10:30 AM.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:33 AM   #24
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
Quote:
I'm debating whether the Kobo Glo is worth the extra $85 ($60 over retail + $25 shipping) to me if I order it from shopereaders.com over waiting for Best Buy to eventually get them here. With my luck the local Best Buy stores will get them the same day that my order from shopereaders ships.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:19 AM   #25
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Kobo is retaliating? Kobo is taking advantage of Amazon not doing early release in Canada to get maximum sales in their best market Canada. All companies must do what will keep them profitable.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:41 PM   #26
fbrII
F. BluDevil

Quote:
Kobo is retaliating? Kobo is taking advantage of Amazon not doing early release in Canada to get maximum sales in their best market Canada. All companies must do what will keep them profitable.
Well the only problem with that as a strategy is: 1) Amazon is on a four to six week backlog for the Paperwhite. 2) There have been numerous complaints regarding QC and the Paperwhite product.

Looks like an opportunity missed to me.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:48 PM   #27
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I think Kobo are probably happy that Amazon is doing that.
Of course I was only jesting. That is how business works. For example I believe amazon had every intention of not releasing the paperwhite in the UK/Europe until next year but were forced into doing so with Kobo releasing their glo into that market first and the imminent release of the nook simple touch with glow light into the same market.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:00 PM   #28
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Quote:
Don't make me root a Nook!
You ARE desperate!
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:14 PM   #29
tnforpaul45
Zealot
tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle DX
I have been as Vocal as any about Kobo's supply chain restraints in the U.S., and wanting to focus on their core markets first. I cannot blame them at all for this, being the unabashed capitalist that I am

I think that Kobo is hearing us loud and clear on this, and they are pushing their production as hard as they can to get them to the States. I would also hope that they are preparing a great marketing blitz for the U.S. market as well. They need to advertise "Freedom, Form, Functionality" over the Paperwhite and the now out-of-date Nook.

I really think that Kobo has the potential to break out and become a big seller in the U.S. market. The Nooks are buggy, and Amazon has seemingly botched the Paperwhite launch with inferior hardware.

If Kobo was smart, really smart, they would create an app that would pull your Amazon library from your Kindle (.mobi) and automatically move them over to your new Kobo. What an easing of an upgrade hesitation that would be for current older Kindle owners to have an easy way to move everything over to their new Kobo.

Hop to it!
tnforpaul45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:12 PM   #30
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
Well, I just got back from my local Best Buy, and they still have no clue when they'll see their Kobo Glo order, so I ordered from shopereaders.com. If my usual rotten luck holds... since I've ordered from some place else and paid a hellacious premium Best Buy will get their Kobos by the end of next week.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote