Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-06-2011, 04:46 PM   #1
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
Vox hits New Zealand

Just received an email this morning from Whitcoulls saying that they are selling the Kobo Vox for NZ$399 (about US$310 at today's exchange rate).

The Kobo Touch sells for NZ$199 (about US$154 at today's exchange rate).

Expect the price to come down soon though as Whitcoulls reduced the price on the Touch about a week after it was first introduced, it seems they like to make the early adopters pay!
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:28 PM   #2
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
That's interesting - I wonder if it's available in Australia? And for how much??

EDIT: A bit of googling tells me that it has been available since mid November at $299 from that imaginary book store called Collins! I have to think that Kobo doesn't really want to sell any of them in Australia as they appear to have given Collins an exclusive deal. It's a pity Collins didn't think it was worth advertising it.

Last edited by HarleyB; 12-06-2011 at 05:42 PM.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2011, 12:30 PM   #3
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by moffattm View Post
Just received an email this morning from Whitcoulls saying that they are selling the Kobo Vox for NZ$399 (about US$310 at today's exchange rate).

The Kobo Touch sells for NZ$199 (about US$154 at today's exchange rate).

Expect the price to come down soon though as Whitcoulls reduced the price on the Touch about a week after it was first introduced, it seems they like to make the early adopters pay!
So moffattm, are you going to get one? Not for me at the moment, short on $ and I'm enjoying my 6 month old kobo touch. But I'd be interested in how kiwis rate this device
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:55 PM   #4
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipippa View Post
So moffattm, are you going to get one? Not for me at the moment, short on $ and I'm enjoying my 6 month old kobo touch. But I'd be interested in how kiwis rate this device
No, kiwipippa, I don't think I'll be getting one. Only a couple of hundred more and I could get a very decent Android tablet, and of course I could run the Kobo app on that. I'm just waiting for Ice Cream Sandwich (the latest version of Android) to become a more widely available before I spring for a tablet.
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:44 PM   #5
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
That's a dreadful markup for NZ and Australia. I imported one in from USA for way less than that. I later sold it though.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2011, 02:51 AM   #6
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by moffattm View Post
No, kiwipippa, I don't think I'll be getting one. Only a couple of hundred more and I could get a very decent Android tablet, and of course I could run the Kobo app on that. I'm just waiting for Ice Cream Sandwich (the latest version of Android) to become a more widely available before I spring for a tablet.
Good point - I can't really follow kobo's logic on this device, why compete with all the other tablets out there when you have a niche in the ebook market? Are they going to sell other content as well? eg movies and music?
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:45 AM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Some of the latest marketing data seems to show that in the US 55% currently use dedicated eInk devices, with the rest being split between tablets and phones. Tablet market share is growing. I'm pretty sure Kobo wants a slice of that pie.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:44 AM   #8
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
The Nook Color was very popular in the U.S. when it was released last year, particularly among women. I think both Kobo and Amazon saw this, realized there was a market for this type of ereader, and decided to pursue it. It also gave Kobo the opportunity to issue children's books and cook books that are much more attractive on a color ereader, and market to those who wanted a device to read magazines on.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote