Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 10-19-2011, 02:49 PM   #61
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I really like the Vox. Over at the KF forum we've been discussing alternatives to the Fire and this is probably the best one I've seen for the Price. I will be getting it if proves to be stable. I never was impressed with the limitations on the Fire and full access to the Market is a big selling point with me.
I ruled the Vox out because it has the same specs as my NC. The Fire was scratched because it has no card slot and the Lenovo A1 just vanished one day. That leaves a possible NC II as my last hope for an upgrade.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:00 PM   #62
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I ruled the Vox out because it has the same specs as my NC. The Fire was scratched because it has no card slot and the Lenovo A1 just vanished one day. That leaves a possible NC II as my last hope for an upgrade.
It's lighter then the Fire which is a big plus compared to the Micro Cruz tablet I was considering and it's got a better screen, Market Access and Card slot so for me I am very interested.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2011, 03:04 PM   #63
Lordvic
Connoisseur
Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.

Device: Blackberry Playbook
gah, i'm sitting at the kobo online order page right now. kode entered for $10 off, and i'm itching to pull the trigger and spend money i dont have...

But...
I need to see more photos of this! i wanna see how thin it really is and a few hands on photos before i can pull the trigger
Lordvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:09 PM   #64
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordvic View Post
gah, i'm sitting at the kobo online order page right now. kode entered for $10 off, and i'm itching to pull the trigger and spend money i dont have...

But...
I need to see more photos of this! i wanna see how thin it really is and a few hands on photos before i can pull the trigger
Go on Lordvic..you know you wanna
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:13 PM   #65
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrII View Post

This sounds workable if true.
If you look at the pictures on the Chapters Indigo website, you can see that there is a filemanager preinstalled. That should be ll you need to add apps. From what I can tell, this is what differentiates it from the Nook colour, which needed to be rooted to do this sort of thing.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2011, 03:19 PM   #66
Lordvic
Connoisseur
Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.

Here's another question that we might not have an answer for:

Google just announced Android 4.0 yesterday. The successor to 2.x. Ice Cream sandwich.

while Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) will be slowly rolling out to smartphones i guess first, What about tablets similar to this?

will 2.3 be upgradable to 4.0 in the near future?

I'm terrified of buying a 2.3 based device right now just to find in 4 months, nobody is making anything for it and will require 4.0 for future app's. (similar to RIM"s constant OS updates)
Old 10-19-2011, 03:23 PM   #67
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Why is it misleading?
I thougth that it was pretty obvious. But apparent not, so lets take the whole blurb and add truth (in brackets)

When you buy a Kobo book, it’s yours (so long as you have an account with Kobo and/or Adobe and both companies maintain the authentication system that gives you permission to read it on a case by case basis). You have the freedom to read on any open reader (By open reader, we mean Kobo application for a device we support, or some version of Adobe Digital Editions. How either of those quality as 'open' is an exercise left for the reader.)

None of this really has anything to do with the Vox, however, which looks like a pretty awesome gizmo all around.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:30 PM   #68
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

2.3 is not optimized for tablets, and like buying any sort of technology, I never count on getting more than I can get when something is sold to me. My thought when purchasing was that if I had wanted a tablet with all the bells and whistles, I'd buy something else.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:45 PM   #69
Latch
Porcupine Tree fan
Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Perhaps by 'open reader', they mean 'reader of open formats'? Nothing else applies under my definition of 'open'.
Latch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:53 PM   #70
Lordvic
Connoisseur

not sure.

only thing i can think of, is that Kobo has an application for every platform right now. Meaning, "open" as in, not platform specific. if you buy something with kobo books, you can read it in the kobo app on every device you might own. no restrictions.

its in contrast to Apple's ibooks which are bound to your itunes library and apple devices synced with it.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:57 PM   #71
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Open usually means not locked into something like say B&N DRM or Kindle DRM books. In this case I think it means you can use other Reader Apps not just Kobo's on the Vox.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:57 PM   #72
IsabeauG
NKTB
IsabeauG can extract oil from cheeseIsabeauG can extract oil from cheeseIsabeauG can extract oil from cheeseIsabeauG can extract oil from cheeseIsabeauG can extract oil from cheeseIsabeauG can extract oil from cheeseIsabeauG can extract oil from cheeseIsabeauG can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo
If I had known

If I had known back in July, I might have chosen the vox, but I don't think I'm missing out too much by having just a KT. If you're going to get something with all of the features of vox, you might as well upgrade to an iPad2 (or another brand of tablet) and have a bigger screen to read from.
IsabeauG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:11 PM   #73
kaikara
Zealot
kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox
The touch is much better pure e-reader. The Vox is a tablet with the ability to read on it. I wouldn't give up my touch for one. You should see the people on the facebook announcement having a heart attack because they want the new one. I think people want something that it is new without really understanding that the touch is a better e-reader. They expect Kobo to give trade in their old device on a new one. Like Kobo owes them something because they released a new product that is completely different from the one they own.
kaikara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:16 PM   #74
taming
Trying for calm & polite

I'm not giving up my Touch, either. I did though buy a Vox--it will be my pocketbook device, for when I am out and about and reading in short bursts. Settling in for a good long read, well, that's my eInk reader's strong point.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:17 PM   #75
Lordvic
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaikara View Post
The touch is much better pure e-reader. The Vox is a tablet with the ability to read on it. I wouldn't give up my touch for one. You should see the people on the facebook announcement having a heart attack because they want the new one. I think people want something that it is new without really understanding that the touch is a better e-reader. They expect Kobo to give trade in their old device on a new one. Like Kobo owes them something because they released a new product that is completely different from the one they own.
I'm not sure thats the reason.

I think many people (myself included) are scratching our heads as to why Kobo decided the release of this thing needed to be so "stealthy".

they did a huge announcement what, 2 months ago announcing the Touch. they advertised it pretty nicely. it was allover the front pages of their respective partner stores.

as far as everyone knew, the Touch would be the "pinnacle" device for the Kobo line-up. nothing indicated prior to the leak that kobo had any intention of releasing a device like this.

Then suddenly. Boom. today its on the website and taking pre-orders. no press announcement. No media event. nothing. so People who bought the Touch, who might have wanted more, and would have waited if they knew it was coming are sitting here with a device, that they might not have really wanted.

I can definitely understand why there's some grumbling going on. Although, buyer beware still. Kobo doesn't own anyone anything. it's still doesn't have to sit well