Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-18-2007, 10:13 PM   #1
smoogle
That dude with the thing
smoogle once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.smoogle once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.smoogle once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.smoogle once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.smoogle once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.smoogle once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.smoogle once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.smoogle once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.smoogle once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.smoogle once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.smoogle once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iLiad
Memory Card Access From Computer.

Perhaps i'm being silly, I don't have a memory card on me; but does someone with shell access want to try this?

ln -s /mnt/cf /mnt/free/cf

Wouldn't it then give you access to the CF card from the PC when connect via USB?
smoogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 02:01 AM   #2
narve
iLiad fan
narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoogle
Perhaps i'm being silly, I don't have a memory card on me; but does someone with shell access want to try this?

ln -s /mnt/cf /mnt/free/cf

Wouldn't it then give you access to the CF card from the PC when connect via USB?
Feeling optimistic today? I tried this the first time I realized that the USB connection doesn't give access to the memory cards... (which is utterly stupid!). I don't remember why it didn't work, but when I tried it today:

root@ereader:~# ln -s /mnt/card/ /mnt/free/card
ln: /mnt/free/card: Operation not permitted

I can't make symlinks within my memory card or on the free partiotion either, only in /dev/tffsa2 (/)...

could it be because the "free" partition and the card are FAT (vfat)? I am no expert at linux/filesystems, but that seems like a possible explanation for me.

Last edited by narve; 04-19-2007 at 02:03 AM. Reason: clarification
narve is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2007, 02:07 AM   #3
smoogle
That dude with the thing
smoogle once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.smoogle once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.smoogle once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.smoogle once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.smoogle once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.smoogle once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.smoogle once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.smoogle once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.smoogle once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.smoogle once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.smoogle once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

D'oh, of course they're vfat; otherwise windows PCs wouldn't be able to see them at all...

It does lend an interesting question about reformatting /mnt/free to be something else

EDIT** Just checked the system structure itself, tffsa1,2,5,7 are ext2, and 6 FAT16/vfat

Last edited by smoogle; 04-19-2007 at 02:10 AM.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:10 AM   #4
narve
iLiad fan
narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoogle
D'oh, of course they're vfat; otherwise windows PCs wouldn't be able to see them at all...

It does lend an interesting question about reformatting /mnt/free to be something else
Not really for us windows users... But if the iLiad could expose the free partition and the cards via smb, that would be great and a lot better than USB. Matijas has done this (search the forums here for more info), but I didn't get it to work for some reason (didn't try that hard tho)
narve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 02:54 AM   #5
Matthijs
Groupie
Matthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enough

Device: iLiad, DR1000S, DR800SG
As I've explained before, symlinks won't work because the entire disk is exported. It is umounted in Linux and 'mounted' via USB to the PC with direct filesystem access. Changing from VFAT to EXT2 would not make a difference.
The only way to get this working would be to export memory locations as different drive letters, which is not supported by the iLiad USB software stack.
Matthijs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2007, 03:07 AM   #6
smoogle
That dude with the thing

Thanks for that response! I didn't know about how it was treated; makes sense I guess tho.

When you refer to the iLiad USB software stack, at what level is this implemented? namely: firmware, kernel, kernel module, userspace?
Old 04-19-2007, 03:10 AM   #7
Matthijs
Groupie
Matthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enough

module and userspace, for this mostly userspace I guess. A program called msdisk (for mass storage disk) does the export. We cannot release the source for that since it's license is proprietary.
I'm not sure if there are open alternatives for that app.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:08 AM   #8
smoogle
That dude with the thing

I'm assuming this is the component related to the ISP1xxx linux stack? Don't suppose you can identify the controller type, version and interface?

There are some open-source drivers for linux but it depends on the interface...
**EDIT Also, just found out I can simply agree not to distribute the source-code and still experiment with the other versions. So yeah, any further details on the particular controller used would be nice.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:26 AM   #9
Matthijs
Groupie

ISP1362
See http://www.nxp.com/pip/isp1362.html and http://www.nxp.com/acrobat_download/.../UM10012_2.pdf