Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-23-2010, 02:45 PM   #46
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes - what's called the Myth of Er. It's that that the early Church liked so much, because it puts forward the idea of the existence of the soul after death, and that good deeds are rewarded, and bad deeds punished. But it's philosophical rather than religious in nature - there are no gods involved.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:00 PM   #47
GrimRedBones
Banned
GrimRedBones began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes - what's called the Myth of Er. It's that that the early Church liked so much, because it puts forward the idea of the existence of the soul after death, and that good deeds are rewarded, and bad deeds punished. But it's philosophical rather than religious in nature - there are no gods involved.
Its fascinating that even though the Republic is an attempt to postulate a perfect and moral state from logic alone, Plato still feels the need at the end to add on a supernatural element to round of the system. I suppose thats where atheists really differ. We can live without filling in the gaps. But the rise of modern scientific knowledge has made this dramatically easier these days, I feel. It would probably be hard if not almost impossible to be an atheist without that kind of support.
GrimRedBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2010, 04:28 PM   #48
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Don't worry, it wasn't you.
for once I know it wasn't me either as I made an early exit and refused to respond to further prods
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:39 PM   #49
MJK2111
FUBAR!
MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 S
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
There used to be a rule in British pubs, Grim (good to have your new company, by the way): 'Strictly No Politics or Religion on the Premises'. Folks argued football instead or just got along.
[/I]
Having been in one or two (or three) UK pubs, one would think that football arguments would have much more dire outcomes that discussions about almost anything else!

P.S. Arsenal Rocks!!!!!!!!!!
MJK2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:01 PM   #50
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Not at all. I'm not advocating in the slightest that the atheist community should hide their views; just that aggressive zealotry causes conflict which serves more to entrench beliefs rather than shift them.

You're right, it does take people with courage to stand up and speak out, but it doesn't have to be done with aggression and arrogance, which is what I took to be inferred by the "atheist zealot" label in the thread title.

Graham
I am going to stick my neck out here and say that the old saying of 'It ain't what you do, it's the way that you do it', pretty much applies here.

With some people they cannot help themselves in the name-calling department, nor with their abrasive nature. Who knows, they may be the parents or grandparents of today's schoolyard bullies, who have learned by example.

With them it's of case of 'It's either my way, or the highway'.

They don't debate......they pontificate.

Sad really.

Cheers.
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2010, 02:59 AM   #51
ebooker
Banned
ebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: sony prs-650!
i'm not sure forums are really the most productive place for arguments like that, even tho people engage in them online for a variety of reasons (not least of all, simple boredom). Yea sometimes you might learn a thing or two, but at what cost? We can learn much more from, well, reading books.

On a similar vein, someone said in the news recently that democracy (and I suppose it applies to internet democracy on forums) enables people to gain as much knowledge as they want -- or remain as ignorant as they want. On the forums, the outcome is often constrained by who has happened to show up to fight that day. At least in the real world you can go out and find your own audience.
ebooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 04:28 AM   #52
thrawn_aj
quantum mechanic
thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook1, Samsung Transform, Nook2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohmi2 View Post
They don't debate......they pontificate.
Interesting choice of words . Seems that things may be just a mite skewed towards one side of the debate eh?
thrawn_aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 04:51 AM   #53
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Interesting enough, last week my local astronomical society had a talk from Dr. Guy Consolmagno, who is also a Jesuit priest, and works at the Vatican Observatory. The subject of the supposed conflict between science and religion naturally arose, and he said that, certainly from his perspective, there's no conflict at all, and the Catholic Church, at any rate, fully accepts such ideas as the Big Bang, the universe being 13.7 billion years old, evolution, etc. etc. The Vatican has a science advisory council (of which Stephen Hawking is a member) specifically to advice it on new developments in science.
They usually then end up with a "God in the gap" theory and that is usually not what the common man associate with the God concept.

Also I think it is a conflict in the ways you decide to hold things true. For religion (Catholicism) you can hold thing true using methods that you would not accept in your activity as a scientist. To me this has always been the big conflict. How to motivate the difference in standard.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 04:59 AM   #54
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Again it's a sliding scale, and my feeling is that the more inclusive you can be the better the long term chance of real progress.
And the point Dawkin makes is that empirical evidence indicates that that is not true.

Can you give some example from The God Delusion about the things you are talking about? I really cannot remember anything to be upset by.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:10 AM   #55
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The counter-argument being, of course, that one has systems of moral philosophy
Well, the traditional counter argument is Plato's Euthyphro dilemma: "Is what is morally good commanded by God because it is morally good, or is it morally good because it is commanded by God?"
Old 09-28-2010, 05:43 AM   #56
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Can you give some example from The God Delusion about the things you are talking about? I really cannot remember anything to be upset by.
I'll have to have a dig later (at work at present). As I said earlier, I probably agree with most if not all of the points made in "The God Delusion". It was a question of tone rather than argument.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:20 AM   #57
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
They usually then end up with a "God in the gap" theory and that is usually not what the common man associate with the God concept.

Also I think it is a conflict in the ways you decide to hold things true. For religion (Catholicism) you can hold thing true using methods that you would not accept in your activity as a scientist. To me this has always been the big conflict. How to motivate the difference in standard.
I'm in the middle of reading Science and Islam in Conflict by Todd Pitock (see link below) which was included in the 2008 edition of The Best American Science and Nature Writing. Looks to be the full version here:

http://discovermagazine.com/2007/jul/science-and-islam
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:42 AM   #58
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Thanks for the link, Kenny. Looking forward to downing tools for the night and studying that. Very best. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:58 AM   #59
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I'm in the middle of reading Science and Islam in Conflict by Todd Pitock (see link below) which was included in the 2008 edition of The Best American Science and Nature Writing. Looks to be the full version here:

http://discovermagazine.com/2007/jul/science-and-islam
Interesting link, thanks for that. So, it seems that just as there are Christian scientists whose science is marred by their Christian beliefs, but there are also Christian scientists whose adherence to the scientific paradigm is paramount, (neither of which is, of course to be confused with a Christian Scientist), so it seems there are Islamic scientists whose science is similarly marred by their adherence to religious dogma, but there are also Islamic scientists, doing perfectly good scientific work.

Both lots of scientists are concerned with the unprovable, but neither type of scientist is - to return to the topic of the thread.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 04:19 PM   #60
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
so it seems there are Islamic scientists whose science is similarly marred by their adherence to religious dogma
Oh, yeah. Big movement in that. Though I'd use quotation marks around "scientists."

Witness this guy:

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2..._a_science.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adnan_Oktar

You can download all his books for free-- here's the link to the first one:

http://e-library.net/ATLAS-OF-CREATI...isit11689.html
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote