Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-09-2010, 01:33 AM   #16
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
If it must be in only one place, I would think that "Reading Recommendations" would be the logical one.......

Thoughts?
from personal experience, I never went in there as a newbie. i was scared
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:12 PM   #17
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
from personal experience, I never went in there as a newbie. i was scared
I wasn't scared just not interested , but I don't go in there much at all. To be honest I never paid attention to it - I'll have to go check it out now though.

Speaking as a recent newb though, I frequented the device forums (I was researching which one to get when I first got here), but after I got my reader one of the first places I went was the deals and freebies forum.

Just my $0.02
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2010, 12:17 PM   #18
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
I agree.

Plus, I was thinking.... How about changing the thread title to something much more direct for the newbies?

Maybe... How to download ebooks from the MobileRead Library.

What do you think?

desertgrandma, the information you gave in post 12 (about the mobipocket guide) would be great to have in your first post.
If a mod would like to change the title, I have no objections.

Absolutely........
Done. I just copied and pasted the info
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:33 PM   #19
ravenne
Wizard
ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PocketBook 360°, Cybook Gen3, iPad mini
Quote:
If a mod would like to change the title, I have no objections.
Thread title changed

Edit: ... and moved as requested.

Last edited by ravenne; 02-09-2010 at 04:46 PM.
ravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 03:11 PM   #20
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
What about adding a link to this thread (wherever it ends up) to the Ebooks drop down menu? When I first tried to download books, I kept clicking the "Mobipocket Download Guide" option, looking for this exact information. There isn't any real guidance on the Upload pages on how to get the books to your device.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2010, 05:37 PM   #21
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
What about adding a link to this thread (wherever it ends up) to the Ebooks drop down menu? When I first tried to download books, I kept clicking the "Mobipocket Download Guide" option, looking for this exact information. There isn't any real guidance on the Upload pages on how to get the books to your device.
I don't think thats needed.......However, perhaps if "Latest Uploads" and "Formats" were reversed?

Question. Were my directions clear? If not.....what else needs to be added?

Directions on how to upload to a device would depend on which device you have. We'd need to get an explanation for each device, which is do-able....
Old 02-10-2010, 12:48 AM   #22
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Quote:
For example, "D" for Conan Arthur Doyle.
Arthur Conan Doyle
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:45 AM   #23
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
I don't think thats needed.......However, perhaps if "Latest Uploads" and "Formats" were reversed?

Question. Were my directions clear? If not.....what else needs to be added?

Directions on how to upload to a device would depend on which device you have. We'd need to get an explanation for each device, which is do-able....
Your directions are very clear - and dreams' screenshots compliment them perfectly.
I just wondered about adding this info (or a link to it) to the pages listing the ebooks available for download- so that if someone not familiar with MR Googled for a title and chose the MR link - could then learn all the options they have for downloading MR titles.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:58 AM   #24
AFK_Matrix
Sci Fi Addict :)
AFK_Matrix doesn't litterAFK_Matrix doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Hi,

I have grabbed a few books from the Library, still got to read them though. One question, I assume when all I have is a readme.html link that leads me to a page saying something like I have to be in canada to get the book then I can't get this book as Im in the UK?
AFK_Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:17 AM   #25
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFK_Matrix View Post
Hi,

I have grabbed a few books from the Library, still got to read them though. One question, I assume when all I have is a readme.html link that leads me to a page saying something like I have to be in canada to get the book then I can't get this book as Im in the UK?
You will see that message when the book cannot be legally hosted on a Canadian server (for copyright reasons). The 'readme' link will redirect you to a server located in another country (usually the US) where that book can be legally made available.

If you are concerned about the copyright status of that book in the UK, then you should check that out before downloading it (although I don't think anything other than your conscience would physically stop you).
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:30 AM   #26
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by yekim54 View Post
Arthur Conan Doyle
I KNEW that!!!

He's only one of my favorite authors.......I can't believe I did that.......

thanks for the correction.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:48 AM   #27
Marilyng
Marilyng began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
Hi,
I am trying to download a book from the library here but I am unable to do so.I can download to my computer,I right click on it & send to my kindle but I never can find it.Yes I have pluged in my usb cable & have my wireless on.What am I doing worng??????
Marilyng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:00 AM   #28
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyng View Post
Hi,
I am trying to download a book from the library here but I am unable to do so.I can download to my computer,I right click on it & send to my kindle but I never can find it.Yes I have pluged in my usb cable & have my wireless on.What am I doing worng??????
It could be that it's a file format that the Kindle cannot read. I don't know how the Kindle reacts to that, but it's possible that it's not showing it because it doesn't recognize the format.

You should be able to read mobipocket format on your Kindle, but not ePub. I don't know about other formats.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:04 AM   #29
Marilyng
Marilyng began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
Yes this is the format I am trying to read.I even downloaded the mobipocket info to my desktop & right clicked it to send to my kindle which I can see it sending but I can't find it when I go to look for it on my Kindle!!
Marilyng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:09 AM   #30
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyng View Post
Yes this is the format I am trying to read.I even downloaded the mobipocket info to my desktop & right clicked it to send to my kindle which I can see it sending but I can't find it when I go to look for it on my Kindle!!
OK, in that case I think you should go to the Kindle sub-forum for help. I don't have one myself, so I don't know what could be wrong.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote