Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-16-2009, 09:10 PM   #1
owlrigh
Bibliomanist
owlrigh began at the beginning.

Device: [past:PRS-700, PRS-505, PRS-T2] Now: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung G7 Edge
Dropped and broken PRS-700

Last year I bought the PRS-700 seeing as I was taken in by touchscreen, and then hardly had I had it any time that it dropped from my chair onto my foot, a distance of maybe 50cm, in its case.

That was it; the screen broke. The screen was half blank and half a permanent image of the page I'd been on. I kept it for a while, considering getting a new screen (but translating into AUD, it'd be just as much for a new one). Eventually it went into the bin.

Sadly, now, without e-book reader. It wasn't until I read these forums that I realised how delicate the things were; I've dropped things before and they keep going, but this took me completely by surprise!
owlrigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:56 PM   #2
Treven
Addict
Treven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
I dropped my 505 a couple times (once on concrete). Fortunately the only problem I've had was the power switch didn't work half the time. I've had my 700 for about 6 weeks now and so far I've managed not to drop it.
Treven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2009, 11:31 PM   #3
narbeauchamp
Groupie
narbeauchamp has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS700BC/PRS505/TZ350N/MacBook/Aspire One/iPad/iPhone/BB 9630
I had dropped my 505 several times,with no damage (aside from it coming out of its case)-I think how it finally broke was maybe an elbow to the screen.I have dropped my 700,only the case is no longer useable -I was way smarter the second time around and bought insurance for the 700....I didn't realize how used to reading on it I got,until it was no longer an option (I ended up buying the 700,otherwise I would've bought another 505,after weighing the repair costs....)
narbeauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:36 PM   #4
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
I killed my first PRS 500 by putting it in my coat pocket. It got a bit bent when I got into my car.

I've learned to respect the fact that in a sense these screens are glass in a frame. Treat it like that, and it keeps it out of most accidents.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 12:59 AM   #5
wpk123
wpk123 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS700
Or get a cover for it. The cover that came with my 700 is not much for protection. The M-edge I'm now using seems much better. The material used is genuine leather and there must be some pretty hard plastic sewn into the leather as the front and back covers are very stiff. All in all, I'm feeling more comfortable having my 700 in the M-edge than in its original cover.
wpk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2009, 03:48 AM   #6
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by owlrigh View Post
Last year I bought the PRS-700 seeing as I was taken in by touchscreen, and then hardly had I had it any time that it dropped from my chair onto my foot, a distance of maybe 50cm, in its case.

That was it; the screen broke. The screen was half blank and half a permanent image of the page I'd been on. I kept it for a while, considering getting a new screen (but translating into AUD, it'd be just as much for a new one). Eventually it went into the bin.

Sadly, now, without e-book reader. It wasn't until I read these forums that I realised how delicate the things were; I've dropped things before and they keep going, but this took me completely by surprise!
oh no!

sony will repair is for 29-99 bucks!
did you even call them? they have much better service now from what our members report.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 10:47 PM   #7
Treven
Addict
Treven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpk123 View Post
Or get a cover for it. The cover that came with my 700 is not much for protection. The M-edge I'm now using seems much better. The material used is genuine leather and there must be some pretty hard plastic sewn into the leather as the front and back covers are very stiff. All in all, I'm feeling more comfortable having my 700 in the M-edge than in its original cover.
No, the original cover that came with the 700, or the 505 for that matter, wasn't much for drop-protection. The MEdge cover is much sturdier; but I've managed to keep it in my hands - so far .
Old 07-18-2009, 03:54 PM   #8
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've dropped it 4-5 times in my medge, 2ce on concrete. I didn't even open it to make sure it still worked when I did that cause I trusted the case to still work. worse fall was 5 feet, most were about 3. its real sturdy.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:02 PM   #9
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I got one of the hard cases being sold on eBay (sorry, can't remember the name off hand) and I'm glad I did. I can keep the 505 in the case all the time, although it's a tiny bit heavier for reading. It's saved my reader a few times on the subway when a sudden stop knocked me into a pole. A wrist strap also helps.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:57 PM   #10
richman
Addict
richman is on a distinguished road

Device: sony prs-505 *BLUE*,itouch,netbook
Although I do think it is too expensive at 35 dollars I did get the armor book case. I like it and it fits like a glove. I did put the 505 in cargo pants in zip bag before I got the armor book case. Then I read horror stories about the screen cracking and figured I better learn from their experience. The armor book case zippers up and has much harder cover than the cover that comes with 505. (the armor case fits over the 505 cover so it's double protected.)

Hope everything works out for you with sony. If I crack the screen with the armor book case, at least I feel I did what I could. Without the armor book case, I think if screen cracked I would be kicking myself for being too cheap to get the armor case, so, at least I will not kick myself if it does crack.

I thank everybody for sharing with us that we have to be extra careful with the glass screen on this device.

Last edited by richman; 07-18-2009 at 09:03 PM.
richman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:17 PM   #11
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
The Armor case is the one I have. I'm very impressed with how sturdy it is for the light weight.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:54 PM   #12
owlrigh
Bibliomanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
oh no!

sony will repair is for 29-99 bucks!
did you even call them? they have much better service now from what our members report.
No, I didn't ... I'd been reading (at the time) people saying here that they HAD called upon breaking the screen, and been quoted about how much I paid for the entire thing, and decided to call it a day.

Maybe I should have continued reading a few more posts! Ah well, I've a PRS-505 on the way now, and now am attempting to decide upon a cover for it, flipping between BookArmor and the M-Edge, the last of which looks quite nice.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:31 AM   #13
Andybaby
Wizard

get the medge, read my review if you need any more pushing.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:11 PM   #14
Treven
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by owlrigh View Post
No, I didn't ... I'd been reading (at the time) people saying here that they HAD called upon breaking the screen, and been quoted about how much I paid for the entire thing, and decided to call it a day.

Maybe I should have continued reading a few more posts! Ah well, I've a PRS-505 on the way now, and now am attempting to decide upon a cover for it, flipping between BookArmor and the M-Edge, the last of which looks quite nice.
I sure like my M-Edge cover. I'm helping Andy push you into that cover.;-)
Old 07-22-2009, 12:06 AM   #15
owlrigh
Bibliomanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treven View Post
I sure like my M-Edge cover. I'm helping Andy push you into that cover.;-)
Y'all have succeeded -- I went ahead and bought a green one. Bright green! Things always come out in black, brown, red, and sometimes maroon, but never nifty colours like bright green!