Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-30-2015, 09:17 PM   #1
like00111
like00111 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura h2o
Trouble converting special kind of pdf

I bought a book online, not from any big retailers or anything. It is a book for studying questions.
What I want to do is be able to put it onto my kobo h2o, but the problem is that I got a weird file once downloading the book.
When I first downloaded the book I had to download 4 files and one of them was a .exe file that I had to use to enter the key for the book. After entering the key it activated the pdf file but instead of a normal pdf file it got saved as example.pdf.mmf
I cannot figure out how to add this book to calibre in order to add it to my kobo. Any help would be great.
like00111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:28 PM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Where did you get this book from?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2015, 09:31 PM   #3
like00111

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Where did you get this book from?
from http://www.studyguides.com/
Old 07-30-2015, 09:36 PM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by like00111 View Post
They have no tech help FAQ, no online information on formats or compatible devices... I suggest using this:

http://www.studyguides.com/html/contact_us.html
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:01 PM   #5
like00111

That doesnt really help me
Advert
Old 07-30-2015, 10:17 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by like00111 View Post
That doesnt really help me
And why not?
You bought a product from them.

Did the claim it was convertible? The fact it came in parts leads me to believe a proprietary (DRM) reading system is involved.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:22 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The fact it came in parts leads me to believe a proprietary (DRM) reading system is involved.
It probably is.

Many study/course guide publisher products only work on a computer and while it may be a PDF underneath it's probably got some kind of proprietary DRM and/or is locked into some kind of special "viewer", sometimes Flash based. I mean I suppose the OP could try renaming it (working with a copy of the file) to a .pdf instead of a .mmf, but it's unlikely to be that easy.

Looking at their website they basically provide very little info, but I saw no mention of using their materials on a reader or tablet which you'd think they'd address if it was easily possible.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 07-30-2015 at 10:25 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 11:00 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
It probably is.

Looking at their website they basically provide very little info, but I saw no mention of using their materials on a reader or tablet which you'd think they'd address if it was easily possible.
You would be amazed (OK Not you), how lame on the critical (to users) 'info' about their product, many manufacturers provide.

If it is not in writing, you can't hold them responsible
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote