Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-30-2011, 06:52 AM   #1
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Flightcrew validation error

When trying to validate an ePUB containing the document below, I get an error:

Code:
Entities.xhtml(2): error 900: internal subset is not allowed when reusing the grammar
The XHTML validates with the W3C validator, works fine in a browser, and the ePUB validates with epubcheck. Is this a bug in Flightcrew or is there some restriction I can't find in the spec? (I have Flightcrew 0.7.0, maybe this has changed in newer versions?)

This is the XHTML file:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd" [
 <!ENTITY mdash "this is an em-dash">
 <!ENTITY sample "some sample entity">
 <!ENTITY loq "“">
 <!ENTITY roq "”">
 <!ENTITY liq "‘">
 <!ENTITY riq "’">
 <!ENTITY ap "’">
 <!ENTITY hellip ".*.*.">
]>
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xmlns:ops="http://www.idpf.org/2007/ops" xml:lang="en">
<head>
  <title>Custom Entities</title>
  <link href="../Styles/style-04.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" />
</head>
<body>

<h1>Custom Entities</h1>

</body>
</html>
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:58 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Does it render on a reader?
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2011, 07:05 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't know, that will be the test when I can confirm it's a valid ePUB
Old 08-30-2011, 12:43 PM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Sounds logical, but if it works fine in for example ADE, perhaps it will be more clear whether it is a bug or not allowed.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:57 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Give it a go with FlightCrew 0.7.2 and see if you still get the same error message or any error message.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2011, 01:55 PM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Sounds logical, but if it works fine in for example ADE, perhaps it will be more clear whether it is a bug or not allowed.
Call me cynical, but whether it works or not in ADE will give me no information about its validity OK, it might be for some things, but this is a rather technical point where I wouldn't trust any particular implementation.

Anyway, apparently there was a sample Adobe book using this, see here.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:20 AM   #7
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
This looks like an implementation error. FC caches all the grammars it uses for validation, but the Xerces XML parser does not allow an internal DTD subset when a cached grammar is in use. Grammars are cached for performance reasons.

I've only ever seen one epub in the wild use an internal subset, so I postponed dealing with this. Bottom line: yes, this is an FC error. On the other hand, I'd suggest avoiding internal DTD subsets completely. They're not well supported on Reading Systems. AFAIK, only ADE handled them correctly back when I was testing the XML parsers of the various RS's (although this was more than a year ago). Other RS's were touch-and-go.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote