Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-31-2013, 01:23 PM   #16
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahal48 View Post
Yes I am interested in improving the situation and eliminating any problems.

With the KoboTouchExtended removed from Calibre I can send the "Calibre Quick-Start Guide" to my Glo (from my laptop) and then add it to the Calibre library on my desktop. With KoboTouchExtended installed in Calibre on my laptop, I send the Calibre Quick-Start Guide" to Glo then try to add it to my Calibre library on my desktop and it fails. Exactly the same as when I first posted in here.

I have never tried to send the Kobo manual to my Glo. Please can you point out where in the debug log it says Kobo manual?
I may not be able to see where its says Kobo manual. Sorry if this is the case.
I think it is this line
Code:
0.1 KoboTouch:books - row= (u'', u'Kobo Inc.', None, u'file:///usr/local/Kobo/help/09UserGuide-Contacting_FNAC.kepub.epub', u'application/x-kobo-epub+zip', u'6', None, 0, 0, -1, 1, 1, None, None, u'', None)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:42 PM   #17
mahal48
Connoisseur
mahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kobo Glo, Nexus 7(2013)
OK thanks, now I have a starting place to look and examine. Only thing that really confuses me is that I only have the "Calibre Quick-Start Guide" on my laptop and Glo. I have never had a Kobo manual on either my laptop or Glo. I will have to look into this further. Thanks for the pointer.

Mind you, stranger things happen at sea.

Last edited by mahal48; 08-31-2013 at 01:58 PM.
mahal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:01 AM   #18
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I have been having a look and there are two problems.

Firstly, the code that copies the kepub is not copying the complete file. This is in the method prepare_addable_books in the KOBO driver. There is a simple fix for this. I'll get the change in this week.

The second problem is that calibre is not extracting the metadata from the kepub after adding it to the library. I can't see why that is happening at the moment. If I rename the copied file to an epub and add it, everything is OK. If I add the kepub manually from the device, it is also OK.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:09 PM   #19
mahal48
Connoisseur
mahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic something

Ok with the KoboTouchExtended installed i send the Calibre Quick Start-Guide to my Glo. It is Calibre Quick Start-Guide. no matter what you read from the logs. Have doubled checked, its nothing to do with Kobo guides etc. With the KoboTouchExtended plugin installed/enabled it changes this EPUB!!!! to Kobo Epub. No wonder I can not add it to my desktop..... Seems like "davidfor" understands the problems.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:13 PM   #20
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Ok with the KoboTouchExtended installed i send the Calibre Quick Start-Guide to my Glo. It is Calibre Quick Start-Guide. no matter what you read from the logs. Have doubled checked, its nothing to do with Kobo guides etc. With the KoboTouchExtended plugin installed/enabled it changes this EPUB!!!! to Kobo Epub. No wonder I can not add it to my desktop..... Seems like "davidfor" understands the problems.
Gotta love it when the debug log throws the curves
Glad this is getting sorted
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:16 PM   #21
mahal48
Connoisseur

ok not going to hold my breathe till it gets sorted, otherwise I will be dead lol.
Amazes me how many people on here line up to say nothing is wrong you are at fault, then same number say this has happened to me.

Last edited by mahal48; 09-01-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:18 PM   #22
mahal48
Connoisseur

wish it was getting sorted "theducks"
Old 09-01-2013, 02:19 PM   #23
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
It IS getting sorted. Davidfor is a very capable programmer. Rest assured he IS working on this; just remember he (and most other people who help in these forums) are doing out of their own goodwill for the community.

If it wasn't for the volunteers out there you would not have the ability to convert regular ePubs into the Kobo flavour kEpubs; you would not have wonderful shelf management abilities; the list is endless.

Also keep in mind people in this community are worldwide, so times for people to work on (and post solutions) might be many hours out of your expectations.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:31 PM   #24
mahal48
Connoisseur

I know "Davidfor" is, I have swapped private messages with him on other matters, and I do appreciate all you guys do on here. It wasn't meant to be a dig against all of you that help. I am sorry if it came across that way.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:35 PM   #25
mahal48
Connoisseur

All i meant is that people like "Davidfor" has been able to reproduce the problem I am experiencing, while others haven't and therefore seem to dismiss my problems out of hand. I am learning a lot with this process and hopefully I will be able to contribute to problem solving in the future.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:35 PM   #26
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
If it seems like I'm dismissing your problem I'd like to apologise. I have a personal interest in fixing KePub issues, since the whole reason I started this driver was because I want to have the full Kobo experience without purchasing from Kobo, which includes moving KePub files to/from the device. Issues other people experience are simply issues I haven't ran into yet.

Without being able to reproduce the issue myself, the debug log is all I have to work with. This is the first time (for me anyway) that the debug log hasn't been 100% accurate.Fortunately for all of us, davidfor not only could reproduce it but also knows where the problem is
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:53 PM   #27
mahal48
Connoisseur

That is ok, it seems I jumped to the wrong conclusion. Apologies for that.

Anyway, tomorrow, I will run through the whole process again, and post debug logs of all my conversions. I will have a couple of hours tomorrow where I can sit down and run through it again, with any interruptions at home.

Quick question though, is there anything obvious why a kepub should act so differently to an Epub?

Thanks again, hope you guys manage to make sense of all this.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:17 PM   #28
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Part of that will be because kEpubs are not standard to the calibre environment and are purely supported by the Extended Lobo Touch driver and the new Convert to kEpubs drivers.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:00 AM   #29
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
That is ok, it seems I jumped to the wrong conclusion. Apologies for that.
Your statement did sound a little harsh, but I realised after the later posts what you ment.
Quote:
Anyway, tomorrow, I will run through the whole process again, and post debug logs of all my conversions. I will have a couple of hours tomorrow where I can sit down and run through it again, with any interruptions at home.
There isn't any need for that. The line in the debug log that is confusing everyone is not related to the problem. Some of the debug entries get printed based on the title of the book and what is in the driver configuration. But, it always prints entries at that point if the book doesn't have a title in the database. For some reason, that part of the Kobo user guide doesn't have a title.

I can reproduce the real problem here. I can get the book added to calibre but can't get the metadata properly. If I add the book as an ePub, it all works. But, the extra manipulation that is needed for the kepub breaks something. It will probably be something simple, but I couldn't see it last night.
Quote:
Quick question though, is there anything obvious why a kepub should act so differently to an Epub?
Basically because it is a proprietary standard based on the general epub standard. Until the extended driver was created, there wasn't any real reason to have the format inside calibre. Hence, they were not being handled at all but we are gradually adding the support in.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:58 AM   #30
mahal48
Connoisseur

Ok np will continue to follow this. It has definitely got me interested. Thanks for all of your help so far.