Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-16-2011, 08:57 PM   #1
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Windows 8 Metro: No Flash

Silly Apple, nasty Apple doesn't run Flash on its iPads... hey, guess what the latest is from MS... Metro, the tablet version of Windows 8, will not support Flash as MS doesn't want to support plugins on tablets, similar functionality will be supported in HTML5... let's see how fair and unbiased everyone is now... I mean they're all going to criticise MS just the way they leaped on Apple... aren't they?
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:13 PM   #2
djulian
Evangelist
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Let me be the first to say I think MS is wrong to do this.

But let me also say that I think they are less wrong than Apple was, simply because Flash is less necessary now than it once was.
djulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:23 PM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by djulian View Post

But let me also say that I think they are less wrong than Apple was, simply because Flash is less necessary now than it once was.
Microsoft's Dean Hachamovitch, who made the comments that el creative referred to, made similar comments at the same time Apple did last year. He just got less coverage, and it took MS a bit longer to implement.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:04 PM   #4
Tony Szmuk
Connoisseur
Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ,,,
As far as I've seen and read, the classic 'desktop' UI will be also available on tablets, so if you absolutely need flash, you'll only have to switch to the classic UI and use any browser that supports flash.

I have the W8 Developer Preview installed on two PCs and indeed, flash doesn't work in the IE Metro app, but it works just fine in desktop mode.
Tony Szmuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:53 PM   #5
thebestjeter
Addict
thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi and Kindle DX Graphite
What is not going to support Flash is only the Internet Explorer version for Metro. BUT you are going to be able to install other browsers and HAVE support for flash, ¿ok? You can have Chrome+Flash and Firefox+Flash running in Metro, ¿ok? Windows 8 Metro does support Flash. Internet Explorer for Metro doesn't.

So, Windows 8 has nothing to do with the Apple limitations.

Last edited by thebestjeter; 09-16-2011 at 11:07 PM.
thebestjeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:03 PM   #6
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebestjeter View Post
Windows 8 Metro does support Flash.

So, Windows 8 have nothing to do with the Apple limitations.
Exactly! MS has open liberal system. Apple has unified monarchy. And not supporting flash in IE does not affect much; because very less people use IE and the uses we use IE for (like money transactions) are flash-independent. So, nothing to worry about.
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:10 PM   #7
thebestjeter
Addict
thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patilsaurabhr View Post
Exactly! MS has open liberal system. Apple has unified monarchy. And not supporting flash in IE does not affect much; because very less people use IE and the uses we use IE for (like money transactions) are flash-independent. So, nothing to worry about.
Is your comment ironic or it's only my impression?
Old 09-16-2011, 11:49 PM   #8
Tony Szmuk
Connoisseur
Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ,,,
Quote:
Originally Posted by patilsaurabhr View Post
Well, MS is a corporation just as Apple, but if I'd have to chose, I'd go MS all the way. I have a Mac just because can't run iTunes Publisher on another platform. I really cannot understand why some people love Macs.

As for the other thing, IE 10 does support flash in Windows 8. Only the IE app in Metro doesn't.
Tony Szmuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:07 AM   #9
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
What is not going to support Flash is only the Internet Explorer version for Metro. BUT you are going to be able to install other browsers and HAVE support for flash, ¿ok? You can have Chrome+Flash and Firefox+Flash running in Metro, ¿ok? Windows 8 Metro does support Flash. Internet Explorer for Metro doesn't.

So, Windows 8 has nothing to do with the Apple limitations.
Windows Phone was supposed to support other browsers to. Though as I recall the Firefox team eventually gave up, saying the code limitations made it impossible in practice.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:59 AM   #10
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Szmuk View Post
Well, MS is a corporation just as Apple, but if I'd have to chose, I'd go MS all the way. I have a Mac just because can't run iTunes Publisher on another platform. I really cannot understand why some people love Macs.
I've been sitting watching the Metro presentations from Build, and thinking hmm a really nice operating system, that looks open enough (for me to add my and others apps to), with really nice dev tools - this is something I could look forward to unlike the closed locked down environment of others.

And then having this really weird cognitive dissonance moment, as I realize I thinking about Microsoft instead of Apple...

Interesting times ahead.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 01:22 AM   #11
thebestjeter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
Windows Phone was supposed to support other browsers to. Though as I recall the Firefox team eventually gave up, saying the code limitations made it impossible in practice.
Basically, Windows 8 Metro and Windows 8 desktop are the same. Wait, what I am saying? Better than that, they are only ONE system, not two. So, what runs in Windows 8 Desktop (which is compatible with all the Windows 7 apps) runs in Windows Metro. The Desktop is only another app. So, I don't think is going to be such limitation this time.

Last edited by thebestjeter; 09-17-2011 at 01:49 AM.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:25 AM   #12
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lester View Post

And then having this really weird cognitive dissonance moment, as I realize I thinking about Microsoft instead of Apple...

Interesting times ahead.
Google, Apple, and Microsoft are and always have been a lot more alike than different, despite what fans of each would like to believe.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:25 AM   #13
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Basically, Windows 8 Metro and Windows 8 desktop are the same. Wait, what I am saying? Better than that, they are only ONE system, not two. So, what runs in Windows 8 Desktop (which is compatible with all the Windows 7 apps) runs in Windows Metro. The Desktop is only another app. So, I don't think is going be such limitation this time.
From what i understand only x86 machines will be compatible with Windows 7 and earlier apps. Not the ARM versions.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:06 AM   #14
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
From what i understand only x86 machines will be compatible with Windows 7 and earlier apps. Not the ARM versions.
I believe this is correct. Sounds like the ARM Tablets may just be running Metro IE.

The mobile tablets with x86 (like the demo Samsung Tablet they gave out at BUILD, which was an i5) can run both Metro IE and Win7 IE, of course.

Even Adobe is careful to mention Win8 *desktop* will still have Flash, and their current Air solution for other devices (like the iPad) will work fine on Metro.

Last edited by kjk; 09-17-2011 at 02:09 AM.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:40 AM   #15
thebestjeter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
I believe this is correct. Sounds like the ARM Tablets may just be running Metro IE.

The mobile tablets with x86 (like the demo Samsung Tablet they gave out at BUILD, which was an i5) can run both Metro IE and Win7 IE, of course.

Even Adobe is careful to mention Win8 *desktop* will still have Flash, and their current Air solution for other devices (like the iPad) will work fine on Metro.
There will be only one version of Windows 8. There is not such thing as Windows 8 tablet. Windows 8 is an integrated system, metro and desktop at the same time.

Last edited by thebestjeter; 09-17-2011 at 03:43 AM.