Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-20-2010, 08:02 PM   #1
poyraz
poyraz began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3, Sony Prs650
Infrared touch screen - Eye safety

Hello all,

This is my first post. I hope I will get some insight on my rather specific question and be beneficial to others who also think that they have as delicate eyes as I do.

I have recently purchased Sony Prs 650, due to its technological abilities and being the only the new age Sony with a Sd slot. However, even if the contrast rate is near superb, I do fell some tiredness / slight pain on my head.

I have been thinking of a reason, than I realized that the technology used on touch screen Sony readers is based on IR Leds. I have been thinking maybe my lack of knowledge on this technology causing me some psychological unreal pains on my forehead. I have checked the web out but I could not find anything related to the affect of these Infrared Leds on eyes or eye restraints. However, I might have missed something, since Infrared could be very harmful if care is not taken.

Can someone please tell me whether Infrared touch screen can effect your eye in any way?

Thank you all in advance
poyraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:12 PM   #2
starrlamia
Zealot
starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, PB 16g
the only time I have noticed eyestrain is under flourescent lighting, and I attribute that to the lighting and not the reader.
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:26 PM   #3
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by poyraz View Post
I might have missed something, since Infrared could be very harmful if care is not taken.
Infrared light is the predominant carrier of the energy delivered to us by the Sun. The infrared leds on your reader are pitifully small (we are talking reader designed to work from the small battery for weeks) compared to the amount of Infrared radiation that will hit us if we walk across the backyard on a sunny day. Not to mention Infrared heaters and even remote controls that we use practically for all home appliances.

I don't know what is causing your headaches, but I doubt that IR radiation is the source of it.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:01 PM   #4
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
You will get more infrared sitting in front of a TV or computer monitor... and that level is negligible... look for another source of your problems...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eye, health, infrared, touchscreen