Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-19-2013, 09:17 PM   #16
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by slantybard View Post
I have the PW with 5.3.3 jail broken. I also use the screen savers hack and have had no issues. I am not sure where things have gone wrong with your PW, but I was wondering if you have installed the kindlet and developers certificates modules on your JB PW? I can't remember if that would make a difference or not....
This is good info re "it works on mine"

No, It would not matter about the certs nor the Kindlet JB.

Something is fundamentally "wrong"... do you use windows? wondering about a hidden file extension or something ... but honestly am short on ideas now.

Did you PM Niluje?
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:57 PM   #17
crepewolf
Member Retired
crepewolf is no ebook tyro.crepewolf is no ebook tyro.crepewolf is no ebook tyro.crepewolf is no ebook tyro.crepewolf is no ebook tyro.crepewolf is no ebook tyro.crepewolf is no ebook tyro.crepewolf is no ebook tyro.crepewolf is no ebook tyro.crepewolf is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I PM'ed Niluje yesterday(still waiting for answer).

I use a Mac, and I am starting to think the "wrong" lies in the extraction of the zip files... can this be?
crepewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2013, 10:08 PM   #18
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

hmm... well... let me go look at that installer page again.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:13 PM   #19
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
hmm.. http://i.imgur.com/OKiNN.png looks okay... 1024 x 758

MEH. Sorry have to bow out at this point. No PW to test on. sorry.
I tested that image on my Paperwhite (5.3.3) and it works fine for me. Not sure what to suggest...
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:26 PM   #20
twobob

Stupid question... you installed Python right? just checking

I dug around in the src and build code in the linkss-0.7.N.zip near as I can tell they would be enough to give you sense of "did the installer work right"

but.... the installer should "just work" - regardless of OS - as the installer would just "Fail" to work at all if it was a file extraction problem.

yeah. totally out of ideas now.
Advert
Old 02-19-2013, 10:30 PM   #21
twobob

Actually... I have noted a few people have now said it "doesn't work" on 5.3.3....
and plenty that says it "does work"

Could possibly be pebcak - or maybe there really do be dragons 'ere...
Old 02-19-2013, 10:36 PM   #22
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohenden View Post
I have now first installed the jailbreak and the hack in 5.3.1 and later in 5.3.3(along with rescuepack etc)
Can you give a step by step of the process you followed? I'm not sure if you installed the jailbreak twice, the screensaver hack twice, both... I don't know if it even matters.

Might try downloading the image again and using that. Corrupt download perhaps? *shrug*

Quote:
Stupid question... you installed Python right?
You don't need python to use your own custom images, right? Only for cover and last modes. Or maybe I misunderstood the installation instructions. Very possible!

Last edited by JimmyR; 02-19-2013 at 10:43 PM.
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:43 AM   #23
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
Quote:
I PM'ed Niluje yesterday(still waiting for answer).

I use a Mac, and I am starting to think the "wrong" lies in the extraction of the zip files... can this be?
I also have a Mac and didn't have any problems with the zips.

Perhaps you should downgrade to 5.3.1, re-jailbreak, then upgrade to 5.3.3, then re-install rescue packs and dev certificates/kindlet, then install screensavers hack (from the K5/PW thread, not the other screensaver thread), and finally add your png.

If that fails, look up the first 4 digits of your PW SN and hand in all info to Niluje.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:33 AM   #24
twobob

Quote:
I also have a Mac and didn't have any problems with the zips.

Perhaps you should downgrade to 5.3.1, re-jailbreak, then upgrade to 5.3.3, then re-install rescue packs and dev certificates/kindlet, then install screensavers hack (from the K5/PW thread, not the other screensaver thread), and finally add your png.

If that fails, look up the first 4 digits of your PW SN and hand in all info to Niluje.
I agree with that. Other than about the developers certs / Kindlet JB. They wouldn't matter in this instance. Of course the JB would be required (to run the installer).

Mysterious.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:16 AM   #25
crepewolf
Member Retired
crepewolf is no ebook tyro.crepewolf is no ebook tyro.crepewolf is no ebook tyro.crepewolf is no ebook tyro.crepewolf is no ebook tyro.crepewolf is no ebook tyro.crepewolf is no ebook tyro.crepewolf is no ebook tyro.crepewolf is no ebook tyro.crepewolf is no ebook tyro.

Quote:

- Downgraded to 5.3.1 using the file i found here: http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-updates.php
- download file and insert in the root folder(that is not a folder but the top level of "kindle". Then install update via settings menu

- Installed jailbreak from here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=198446
- followed the readme - two files in root, one in documents

- Upgraded to 5.3.3 using the file i found here: http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-updates.php
- Same procedure as downgrade

- Installed dev certs from here: http://ge.tt/3ZRY9XE/v/51
- insert into root and update from menu

- installed rescue pack from here:https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2290044

- installed the hack from here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=195474
- downloaded the links and took the install-file and inserted in the root folder. Then did a update

=== No result...
http://i.imgur.com/dQDwfHd.jpg
Old 02-20-2013, 09:58 AM   #26
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
- Downgraded to 5.3.1 using the file i found here: http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-updates.php
- download file and insert in the root folder(that is not a folder but the top level of "kindle". Then install update via settings menu

- Installed jailbreak from here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=198446
- followed the readme - two files in root, one in documents

- Upgraded to 5.3.3 using the file i found here: http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-updates.php
- Same procedure as downgrade

- Installed dev certs from here: http://ge.tt/3ZRY9XE/v/51

- installed rescue pack from here:https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2290044

- installed the hack from here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=195474
- downloaded the links and took the install-file and inserted in the root folder. Then did a update

=== No result...
http://i.imgur.com/dQDwfHd.jpg
Nice wrap-up of the procedure. The only thing I'm not getting is why you say "no result..." - The image you posted clearly shows a custom screensaver, not a default Kindle one.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:19 AM   #27
crepewolf
Member Retired

I am pretty sure that one is a default one... I haven't set it and when I place other(new custom) photos in the linkss/screensavers folder (deleting all the others per say).. nothing is happening.... I am really frustrated right now...
Yes - I reboot every time
Yes- i Have done everything right

I bought my Kindle PW two days ago in London, and the people in the shop said I was lucky, they had just recieved a new batch. Can this batch be so new that the hack won't work?
Old 02-20-2013, 10:22 AM   #28
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
This definitely is NOT a default Kindle screensaver.

Did you get your Kindle from Waterstones? They are known to "brand" their Kindles with own custom screensavers (which reside in yet another place on the Kindle). Search this forum for "Waterstones screensaver" or similar, there are threads talking about how to get rid of them.

EDIT: Maybe this helps: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=199050

Last edited by ixtab; 02-20-2013 at 10:26 AM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:23 AM   #29
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
@bohenden - that's totally bizarre. I have successfully installed the SS hack without problems on my KPW several times now.

I would try one more thing. Try to install another hack and see if that works on your PW. I wonder as well if you have a geographically different PW? This would be determined by the first 4 digits of your PW serial number.

I am grasping at straws. I am not a dev, but I have successfully used the great products of the devs here.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:52 AM   #30
crepewolf
Member Retired

YES! I bought my PW from Waterstones!

Should I proceed to ssh into the kindle and delete from
/var/local/custom_reensavers/bg_medium_ss00.png ??? (path found in other thread)

EDIT: I replaced the png inside the var/local... folder with my own, so I have now a fairly amputaded version of the hack, still waiting for your answer if I can delete the whole folder(wouldn't the screen saver hack work then?

Last edited by crepewolf; 02-20-2013 at 11:47 AM.