Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-14-2010, 01:05 AM   #16
rollercoaster
Zealot
rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2
I would suggest going over to youtube to get much better help and intro videos

see:

Very basic Using Kindle 2 Guide

Amazon Kindle 2 Software Tour

Advanced Amazon Kindle 2 reading tips

Search "Using Kindle 2" or a more specific phrase on youtube for easy learning.

Enjoy!

PS: I don't like DRM either so I don't buy from amazon but even without that shopping feature, the Kindle is a very very good device.

You can still register without linking with a credit card. To completely separate it, create a new account on amazon and don't provide a credit card. That way you get all the benefits like access to free content on amazon, using the store to read comments about a book, software updates, support and may be an occasional purchase etc.

You could, Gift your child a gift voucher of a small amount and let her buy a few books/mags/news to make up her own mind about it without exposing your credit card to abuse.

Good luck. Hope we can turn you traitor and make u join the kindle camp
rollercoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 05:08 AM   #17
gollu
Unsullied
gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i
I think all the discussion about the limited formats Kindle handles is pointless. @Elfwreck, you surely know what the Calibre is and it's more than sufficient for formatting books in the right format.
The dictionary and free internet access will be very useful for a 14-year-old, I doubt you'll find better reader for her.
gollu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:20 AM   #18
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Definitely check out some YT videos. Put in an obvious keyword and just drift away along the related videos. You'll know the basics in no time.

And yes, you can do a shitload of things without paying a dime for a book. You can fill up your Kindle with lots of non-DRM books both free and commercial. Plus your own documents. And of course, there are things we're not allowed to talk about.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote