Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-31-2009, 08:48 PM   #1
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Will the New DX Read DRM PDF?

My neighbor just asked me that question. I own both the Kindle 2 and the Sony PRS-505 and she's been able to play with both since I have them. I also used to own the Kindle 1 before I sold it in order to buy the Kindle 2, so she seen that one too. She always feel the screen is to small because she reads with the 4th or 5th font and she said to much page changes. She love the idea of library books and I just told her about the DX and the PDF capabilities and she asked me, will she be able to check out library books? I realize I don't know if the DX will read DRM PDF or will it be just like the Mobipocket and only read non-DRM!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:53 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I would be shocked if the Kindle read anything with DRM other then AZW or Topaz. Jeff Bezos will not give up control and if he allowed PDF with DRM, he would be giving up some of the control he has. I think he enjoys locking Kindle users to Amazon. The term megalomaniac does come to mind.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:15 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
. The term megalomaniac does come to mind.

Perhaps.

However, he does not have the control he thinks he does, eh?

I"m just sayin'..........
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 06:36 AM   #4
Slow_hand
Groupie
Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Quote:
... I think he enjoys locking Kindle users to Amazon. The term megalomaniac does come to mind.
He is practicing good business. Amazon is one of the few big companies prospering in this recession. There are probably megalomaniacs at the head of most companies. And some even post to this forum.
Slow_hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:48 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Highly unlikely that other DRM formats will be supported. It has always been the case that Mobi DRM has to be "exclusive", and that no other DRM formats are permitted on devices which support it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 02:55 PM   #6
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
I would be shocked if the Kindle read anything with DRM other then AZW or Topaz. Jeff Bezos will not give up control and if he allowed PDF with DRM, he would be giving up some of the control he has. I think he enjoys locking Kindle users to Amazon. The term megalomaniac does come to mind.
Sony had the same "megalomania" until they had to find a new competitive strategy.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:52 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
But Amazon don't have any commercial need to support other formats, given that they "own" the Mobi format and have an excellent bookstore which supports it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:58 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I realize I don't know if the DX will read DRM PDF or will it be just like the Mobipocket and only read non-DRM!
We do know that it won't read Adobe DRM, from Amazon, Others License Adobe Reader Mobile SDK:
Quote:
I do want to clarify that Amazon’s integration of the Adobe Reader Mobile SDK into the Amazon Kindle DX only includes PDF support, and not support for EPUB or Adobe Content Server 4 protected content.
Note that this does not necessarily mean that Amazon won't sell DRMed PDFs for the Kindle, just that the DRM won't be from Adobe (and so Adobe-protected lending library ebooks won't work).

The KDX will read DRM-free PDFs, e.g. if you strip Adobe DRM, see Adobe ADEPT DRM for PDF circumvented (which discusses the legal issues as well as how to do the circumvention).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:48 PM   #9
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
I have no reason to think Amazon plans to sell PDFs at all. The PDF support is limited.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:57 AM   #10
drzeller
drzeller has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PC, Windows Mobile Phones
I suspect colleges would be hesitant to go with textbooks that are proprietary to a device like the Kindle. I would expect them to want something that could be read on PC's/Mac's as well. That may lead to PDF, or something else I suppose; or we'll see a PC/Mac-based Kindle application, similar to the availability they already have on the iPhone/Touch.

D.
drzeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:01 PM   #11
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by drzeller View Post
I suspect colleges would be hesitant to go with textbooks that are proprietary to a device like the Kindle. I would expect them to want something that could be read on PC's/Mac's as well. That may lead to PDF, or something else I suppose; or we'll see a PC/Mac-based Kindle application, similar to the availability they already have on the iPhone/Touch.
You're aware that Amazon has teamed up with the largest textbook publishers to produce exactly such books for the Kindle, yes?
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:19 PM   #12
drzeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
You're aware that Amazon has teamed up with the largest textbook publishers to produce exactly such books for the Kindle, yes?
Yes, and my point was that I suspect that either the books will either be DRM'd PDF readable on the Kindle, or that there will be way to read the Kindle format on PC's/Mac's. I don't see the schools and/or publishers limiting the accessibility of the textbooks to just Kindles.

D.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:53 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
I have no reason to think Amazon plans to sell PDFs at all. The PDF support is limited.
Keep in mind Amazon has topaz... which is more PDF like than the Mobi(azw) books that they mostly sell now.

They might go that route for text books... and "so far" topaz DRM can't be removed.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 05:19 PM   #14
drzeller

I had a conversation with an old friend who is a college professor now. I tossed out the idea that perhaps the electronic text books should be distributed to all students who take the class, for a standard fee paid for as part of taking the class. No issues with resale, no issues with DRM, etc. Using Lulu or some such service, they could print a paper copy if they wanted to. I would think this arrangement would work well for the publishers, since they have a guaranteed revenue stream, no more used sales, no concerns about DRM, etc.

D.