Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 07-14-2010, 11:59 AM   #1
UntreedReads
Addict
UntreedReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UntreedReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UntreedReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UntreedReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UntreedReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UntreedReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UntreedReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UntreedReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UntreedReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UntreedReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UntreedReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
New Mystery From Rodolfo Peña: AN INCONSEQUENTIAL MURDER

In a world dominated by mystery stories revolving around dogs, cats, caterers and crossword puzzle enthusiasts, we were very excited when we received Rodolfo Peña's manuscript for An Inconsequential Murder. This is NOT your fluffy, cozy mystery. Folks who like their mysteries a little darker and based somewhere other than a sleepy US town or a tiny hamlet in the UK will find a lot to appreciate here.

The Blurb:

When the decapitated body of a student is found on the train tracks in Monterrey, Mexico, Captain Guillermo Lombardo finds his investigation taking him into the world of the Mexican drug cartels. As everyone from the university Dean to the Governor himself fails to cooperate with the investigation, Lombardo soon discovers that the body is just the tip of the iceberg of a much larger situation.

This title is actually the first in a planned series featuring Captain Lombardo. If you're a fan of police procedurals, then this is the work for you to read.

An Inconsequential Murder is available in the Untreed Reads store at http://www.untreedreads.com (Untreed Reads GreenPass members save 15%), plus it's also available at Smashwords (25% off through the month of July with coupon code SWS25), Amazon for the Kindle and most of the great retailers you see listed on the right side of our website. To read an excerpt, visit http://www.scribd.com/doc/34194982/A...uential-Murder.
UntreedReads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:03 PM   #2
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
An Inconsequential Murder sounds interesting, but $9.99 is quite a lot for an indie ebook. Maybe I'm spoiled.

But you probably want to change this line on your website:

All of our short stories are only $1.50 each, and we have no titles above $7.99. We believe in keeping electronic reading affordable for everyone.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:16 PM   #3
UntreedReads
Addict
UntreedReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UntreedReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UntreedReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UntreedReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UntreedReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UntreedReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UntreedReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UntreedReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UntreedReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UntreedReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UntreedReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi Marcy,

Thanks for alerting me to that line, and I've made the change. We are trying several different pricing structures for our works right now to see what works best for us and our authors after retailers take some of their insane percentages (yes, I'm looking at you Amazon).

If the $9.99 price point was too high, what would you have paid for a similar work of 85,000 words? Is Clea's Moon at $7.99 more attractive for a full-length? Also, knowing that although it was $9.99 the title was 25% off at Smashwords and 20% off at CoffeeTimeRomance, did that sway your mind at all?

The only thing that has me a little puzzled is why it should make a difference whether we charge $9.99 being an independent publisher or Random House charges $12.99 for an ebook of the same length. The writer's work is the writer's work. I don't believe it should be necessary for an author to expect to earn $2.99 to $5.99 on a full-length work just because they are with an "independent" publisher. This would also seem to indicate that there is less value in being with us than a NY publisher, and I'm afraid I don't see that either. Perhaps you could clarify?

Thanks,
Jay
Old 07-16-2010, 06:07 PM   #4
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
A suggestion for your pricing structure: Charge 1 cent more for your books.

I'm serious. It's one of the things I like about Baen. They don't charge $5.99 for a book; they charge an honest $6.00. I don't feel like I'm buying from a weasel.

Incidentally, Baen charges $6.00 for books of 85,000 words and longer, and they are a "New York publisher" -- just not members of the ebook price-fixing cartel.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:45 PM   #5
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Your book is actually $11.99 from Amazon as a Kindle outside of the US (eg. Canada).

That's a bit much to pay when Rex Stout's Prisoner's Base is $7.93; Ian Rankin's Exit Music is $7.61; Agatha Christie's Murder on the Orient Express is $6.79; Joseph Wambaugh's The Choirboys is $6.29; Robert B Parker's Mortal Stakes is $6.29; Ed McBain's Big Bad City is $5.99 ... I could go on, but I hope you take the point.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:49 PM   #6
Trebro
Connoisseur
Trebro began at the beginning.

Device: nook
I understand your point, and agree that publisher does not a better book make. HOWEVER, for an author I don't know, even a discounted 9.99 is a lot for a shot in the dark at an author name I don't know. Just my take.
Trebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:04 PM   #7
UntreedReads
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
Your book is actually $11.99 from Amazon as a Kindle outside of the US (eg. Canada).

That's a bit much to pay when Rex Stout's Prisoner's Base is $7.93; Ian Rankin's Exit Music is $7.61; Agatha Christie's Murder on the Orient Express is $6.79; Joseph Wambaugh's The Choirboys is $6.29; Robert B Parker's Mortal Stakes is $6.29; Ed McBain's Big Bad City is $5.99 ... I could go on, but I hope you take the point.
That's good to know. Publisher's aren't given the visibility as to the prices outside of the US. What's amazing is that they jack up the price, yet only pay us a 35% royalty if it sells outside of the United States. So Amazon makes far more selling to you, and we and the author make far, far less.

Incidentally, all of the titles you indicate are backlist (older) titles. What would you have to pay for a new release by an author?

For what it's worth, we do offer Kindle format through Smashwords if that helps. Good to know about the foreign prices though.

Last edited by UntreedReads; 07-16-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:05 PM   #8
UntreedReads
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebro View Post
I understand your point, and agree that publisher does not a better book make. HOWEVER, for an author I don't know, even a discounted 9.99 is a lot for a shot in the dark at an author name I don't know. Just my take.
Very much appreciate the feedback. This will help us make some good business decisions.

Clea's Moon, by comparison, is by a multiple award-winning author. At $7.99, do you feel that's a more fair price because the author is more well-known?
Old 07-16-2010, 09:08 PM   #9
UntreedReads
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
A suggestion for your pricing structure: Charge 1 cent more for your books.

I'm serious. It's one of the things I like about Baen. They don't charge $5.99 for a book; they charge an honest $6.00. I don't feel like I'm buying from a weasel.

Incidentally, Baen charges $6.00 for books of 85,000 words and longer, and they are a "New York publisher" -- just not members of the ebook price-fixing cartel.
Interesting idea. It's one of the reasons the bulk of our short stories are $1.50. Believe it or not, we got huge pushback from people when we briefly had some titles at $2. We took them to $1.99 to see what people would say about a one cent change and that psychological thing happened where people thought it was less than it really was. Can't say I understand that, but pricing is the biggest hurdle in any business.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:15 PM   #10
UntreedReads
Addict

Thank you all for your input. We've taken all of your comments into consideration and have lowered the price to $7.99.

Best,
Jay
Old 07-16-2010, 09:21 PM   #11
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UntreedReads View Post
Very much appreciate the feedback. This will help us make some good business decisions.

Clea's Moon, by comparison, is by a multiple award-winning author. At $7.99, do you feel that's a more fair price because the author is more well-known?
Only if the author is well known by me! I wonder if what all those who are complaining about the price are really saying they don't know the author and don't want to risk that level of cost for an author they know nothing about.

Me? I like to live dangerously every so often.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:22 PM   #12
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Maybe you can do something like offer the first chapter or the prologue free to get us hooked. I checked out the excerpt and it's mostly the table of contents.

If it's a long book, doesn't have DRM, and is written excellently it'll probably get on like a house on fire, at least here at Mobileread, even if it is $8-ish.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:40 AM   #13
UntreedReads
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobama View Post
Maybe you can do something like offer the first chapter or the prologue free to get us hooked. I checked out the excerpt and it's mostly the table of contents.

If it's a long book, doesn't have DRM, and is written excellently it'll probably get on like a house on fire, at least here at Mobileread, even if it is $8-ish.
Can you tell me where you saw that excerpt? From our site, we link to Scribd.com where we have certainly more than that available, and I thought we had used that link for all of our promos. We offer 25% of the book through Smashwords.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:46 AM   #14
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by UntreedReads View Post
Can you tell me where you saw that excerpt? From our site, we link to Scribd.com where we have certainly more than that available, and I thought we had used that link for all of our promos. We offer 25% of the book through Smashwords.
The Scribd link in the first post here offers pages 1-3, two of which are the table of contents and credits. Then it says "pages 4-14 are not included in this preview." Then three more pages are shown, and it says, "pages 18-25 are not included in this preview." Etc.

I didn't check Smashwords but their book previews are usually fine.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 07:33 AM   #15
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Same here. The preview is so 'chopped up' that I couldn't get a feel for the author's capabilities or of the storyline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobama View Post
The Scribd link in the first post here offers pages 1-3, two of which are the table of contents and credits. Then it says "pages 4-14 are not included in this preview." Then three more pages are shown, and it says, "pages 18-25 are not included in this preview." Etc.

I didn't check Smashwords but their book previews are usually fine.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new release