Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 03-06-2010, 03:47 PM   #16
jj2005
jj2005 began at the beginning.

Device: nook
I have tried multiple times, and get the same errors as bthoven, are you on a mac, or pc some of these commands are a little different on my mac.

i use ./ before all commands

when you say that you assume that the openvpn folders are in the current directory I assume that it is ok that I unzip to the android/tools/ folder which I have to be in to run ADB???

By the way I love how dedicated users make this effort
jj2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:18 PM   #17
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hi jj2005..I also placed openvpn folder in "tools" folder where the adb.exe command is in.

Hi stangri...I have copied the original folders back. At what time (GMT) you are in the chat session. I really want to try it again.....thanks for your effort.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2010, 11:28 PM   #18
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

right now would be good.
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 04:43 AM   #19
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

I've revised instructions in step 6 -- you might get some errors that folder exists, nevermind them then.

If you have followed the instructions earlier, run the following command first:
adb shell rm -r ./-p/
Old 03-07-2010, 10:08 AM   #20
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangri View Post
I've revised instructions in step 6 -- you might get some errors that folder exists, nevermind them then.

If you have followed the instructions earlier, run the following command first:
adb shell rm -r ./-p/
Hi Stangri...it works now, excellent! I tried buying two free books. It works like a charm...downloading in my Nook!..thanks. (I copied all your commands into a batch file and run that batch file once. Another batch file for just running the tunnel; and a last batch file to initiate the vpn. I use alwaysvpn).

Do you think it will work with my local SIM card EDGE? Any change in command?

Last edited by bthoven; 03-07-2010 at 10:11 AM.
Advert
Old 03-07-2010, 10:52 AM   #21
cubeball
cubeball began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
What about using the free service hot spot sheild, can it be done, is it the same process??
cubeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:33 AM   #22
stangri
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthoven View Post
Do you think it will work with my local SIM card EDGE? Any change in command?
I'm not quite sure, but without the UI to run OpenVPN from the nook itself we'll never know, will we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubeball View Post
What about using the free service hot spot sheild, can it be done, is it the same process??
Well, the Mac Hotspot Shield app is using OpenVPN, so if you rip the config and key/certificate from there you should be able to use it too.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:16 PM   #23
bthoven
Evangelist

Hi stangri

I'm not sure this is the side effect of the openvpn.

After I use Openvpn to buy book, terminate the vpn (Ctrl + c), and off my wifi; though my GPRS/EDGE full signal comes back, I cannot update Daily; Nookbrowser and Trook also don't work (as if there were no EDGE signal).

Is it because the tunnel software is still running? How to kill this process?

It will work again only after I reboot my Nook.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:01 AM   #24
stangri
Addict

Does the WiFi still work if you turn in on tho?
Old 03-09-2010, 02:27 AM   #25
bthoven
Evangelist

Thanks stangri..let me try when I'm at home (in another 7 hrs 8-)
Old 03-09-2010, 08:54 PM   #26
bthoven
Evangelist

Hi stangri,

After terminating openvpn, wifi is still able to access net; but after disable wifi and EDGE takes over, it shows full signal but cannot access net.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:07 PM   #27
stangri
Addict

Have you tried accessing the net thru 3G while OpenVPN is working? In other words, is it a OpenVPN initialization which messes up the 3G or the termination?
Old 03-10-2010, 10:50 PM   #28
bthoven
Evangelist

No..not tried that because to try that I need to disable my wifi after connecting openvpn; and I'm not sure I can kill openvpn when I connect my wifi again?
Old 03-11-2010, 12:27 AM   #29
stangri
Addict

A very complicated route to take would be to enable ADB over USB first and then experiment with OpenVPN.