Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-02-2015, 05:04 AM   #1
ivanm
e^bored
ivanm began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, BeBook Neo
Finding which collections a book is in

I decided to take advantage of Boxing Day sales to get an Aura HD to replace my BeBook Neo, and I'm trying to work out how to adapt my reading habits to it.

I think I've figured out how to change my nested folder structure into a (non-nested) set of collections, but since it seems to be quite easy to search for books from the main page, is there any way to - once I've finished reading a book - to find out which collections it's in so I can go find the next book in a series?
ivanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:41 AM   #2
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I use Calibre to send all my books to the reader and it's set to automatically add books into their own Collections by series and tag. I also use a metadata plugboard to name my books "Title [#] Series" also set within Calibre. Then when you go to the reader library, select "My Collections" and you'll see other books in the same series and the numbers will also be listed.

This thread will get you started. If I had to set books into collections manually on the reader for each book, there's no way I'd even make use of collections at that point.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2015, 05:35 PM   #3
ivanm
e^bored
ivanm began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, BeBook Neo
I've done that (well, actually I use a more complicated expression that results in "# - Title [Series]" based upon other metadata, conditionals, etc.). I've also figured out how to get the series information shown on the book information screen.

But if I've got a book tagged into multiple collections (multi-series universes that cross-over, etc.), how do I find which collections it is in? Or - even with the renamed books - whilst I'm reading it it doesn't display the book title, so how do I know which series it's in (just search for the book again?).
ivanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 06:14 PM   #4
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I had considered using "# Title - Series" until I realized when I sorted by title the series numbers would make that sort pretty useless.

Just looking at the title of the book should give you the series name if you've really set up the metadata plugboard. While I also add a book to a single genre collection as well, the title only shows the series and #. Use the list view in the library instead of the cover view and you'll see the full name of the book which your metadata should include the series.

I've never had a crossover series yet, not sure how a title would appear if a book was listed in 1 series. For my sanity, I'd probably use only one series even in the case of crossover novels and just make a note in Calibre about the 2nd series.

I seem to remember older firmware used to flash the title of the book briefly at the top when you touched the center to bring up any menu (or maybe that was my imagination? but I remember missing it at one points).
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 06:25 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The Kobo devices show the series name library lists. It has been set on the device, but as you are using calibre, the KoboTouch driver can do this automatically when you connect. So, find the book in the library list (sort by "Recent" and it should be at the start) then do a search using the series name. That will find all the books in the series.

If you have a collection with the books in it, when you open the collection and open a book from it, the collection will be added to the home screen. If you are planning to read the series, using this tile to access the collection and open the books will keep the tile on the home screen.

The only way I can think of to see the collections a book is in while using the device, is to use the "Add to collection" function. This lists all the collections on the device and has a tick against the collections the book is in. A bit clumsy, but it works.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert