Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 03-23-2010, 09:26 AM   #1
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Nook- Slower than the PRS 500?

Greetings,

I purchased a nook in store at a local B and N a few days ago. I still have over a week left to return and the jury is still out. I like the device over all, but a couple of things really bother me. The first is the battery life which is the worst of any e-ink device I've owned (looking like I'm going to have to charge it every other day with sparing wireless use: i.e. download my newspaper, do a couple of searches on the store). The second is the slow page turning. I will say that it opens books pretty quickly (much quicker than my PB360). Side by side with my other Ebook readers, the nook clearly lags in page turning. It was totally dusted by my Pocketbook 360. What shocks me is that my old PRS-500, manufactured in 2006, was actually quicker at turning pages than the nook (the screen of the nook was _way_ better, of course). How can "the world's most advanced ereader" be outclassed in a crucial area by four year old tech? Any suggestions or thoughts?

Luqman
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:19 PM   #2
ctos
Enthusiast
ctos has learned how to read e-booksctos has learned how to read e-booksctos has learned how to read e-booksctos has learned how to read e-booksctos has learned how to read e-booksctos has learned how to read e-booksctos has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook, G1
did you upgrade to 1.2.0 firmware?
ctos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:36 PM   #3
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctos View Post
did you upgrade to 1.2.0 firmware?
Yes, I did.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:06 PM   #4
Kypt
Connoisseur
Kypt began at the beginning.

Device: nook, Kindle 3
I'm not sure if it's slower than the PRS500, I really don't notice the difference. However, holy crap is battery bad. I have it set now for 10 sec delay on the screen and airport on all the time and I think it lasts like 1/4 of what my PRS505 does
Kypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 02:48 PM   #5
Schmots
Connoisseur
Schmots began at the beginning.

Device: nook, prs-505, iphone
it does last so much less than the prs505, but the the softroot+calibre/stanza+dropbox advantage still makes it the winner.
Schmots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:19 PM   #6
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmots View Post
it does last so much less than the prs505, but the the softroot+calibre/stanza+dropbox advantage still makes it the winner.
Hmm, that's interesting.
To me, nook is one of my readers with the longest battery life.
I constantly have to recharge iRex 800 (*) and BeBook Neo for example. After about 4 days in standby, both run dry. nook, although being used more intensively, by then still has more than 60% of its charge.

(*) iRex has identified a bug when using PDB files. After opening PDBs, the reader doesn't enter standby but remains active. They'll solve this in the upcoming firmware update in about 4 weeks.

Concerning speed of turning pages: It seems a bit slower than my Sony 900 or iRex 800. But still above average (meaning faster). And given its way lower price than Sony 900 or iRex 800, I'm absolutely fine with it.

In fact, to my own surprise, nook is one of my most frequently used readers (out of 15 eInk devices in total).
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:29 PM   #7
Schmots
Connoisseur
Schmots began at the beginning.

Device: nook, prs-505, iphone
well I sold my prs-505 after buying a nook, the wife still has her 505, despite the fact that if she converted to a nook it would make loading books easier for her, but my sony 505's battery did last longer.
Schmots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:11 AM   #8
luqmaninbmore
Da'i

I am leaning back towards keeping my nook. The page turns are slower now, but I think that can be improved with a firmware update. The processor in the nook is over three times as fast as the processor in the 500/505; while that will lead to a reduction in battery life, it should lead to superior performance once the firmware kinks are ironed out. I also like how reflowable PDFs and Epubs are displayed (better formating, quicker page turns there at least, and no ragged right). Finally, it is very easy to replace the battery. I watched the video on youtube demonstrating how to replace the battery on the 505 and it was not something I felt like doing, even if the price for the battery was quite reasonable. I can buy a new PRS-505 for 199 at a local store that is clearing them out, but I think I may pass on further consideration.

Luqman