Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 02-13-2010, 02:32 AM   #16
mwhite67
mwhite67 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
without the mybooks app the nook is not a very good e-book reader if you plan on using sideloaded content. Now that I have it installed I don't care if B&N ever releases another update. I have everything I need already. It seems kind of lame of B&N to not allow you to organize or search your books unless you buy them from them.
mwhite67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 07:01 PM   #17
nabour
Gaget-lovin' Nana
nabour began at the beginning.

Device: Classic Nook, Nookcolor
I am having trouble sorting my books after the root:

I go to "mybooks" app and then to the option to "show" -- but I can't figure out how to add tags to my books so that I can sort them. Right now the only options under "show" are fiction, epub, pdb, pdf.....

So next I moved a book from Nook to desktop via Calibre, and added a new tag -- Nonfiction. Sent it back to the Nook, and although the book shows up on the list, the "show" on "mybooks" isn't picking up Nonfiction as a new tag item.

Please help me! This nook is driving me nuts -- love/hate relationship going with it.

Thanks.
nabour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:43 AM   #18
hharan
Connoisseur
hharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enough

Device: nook
Try selecting Scan Folders menu option. It refreshes the data only during scanning.
You have to do it after copying books.
hharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:02 PM   #19
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
The nookdevs page states (no idea whether that's correct):
"Once you run a third-party software updater on your nook, Barnes & Noble may consider your warranty null and void."
(I don't care either, Germany as well.)
If the nook is soft rooted how are B&N going to know? This isn't any different than with any Android phone that has root access. Just put your nook back to its original state. If it quits working altogether more than likely they will send you a refurb.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:55 PM   #20
ould
Zealot
ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Thanks for the videos Mos, definitely appreciated. I think I remember watching your PRS-700 video a while back as well. Good stuff, and I agree on the sexy voice comment earlier in the thread. Maybe B&N should hire your voice for promo vids. Anyways, as I said I liked the videos and you may have pushed me over the edge into getting a Nook now. Just gotta get someone to pick me up one next time they are in the US, I live only about an hour north of the border so not too big a deal, I just never go down myself.

Thanks!

Kevin
ould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 05:32 AM   #21
jen6060
Connoisseur
jen6060 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs505 (given away); Sony prs300; Nook
Smile

hi mos, thanks so much for your video. i'm due to receive my Nook prob next week. it's v tempting to soft root. i watched a youtube video on how to do it and it seems simple enough. but i need to understand - so if i do it, i may void warranty (which is almost meaningless to me since i'm not us-based). But the other qn is - if there is another firmware update from barnes n noble (and there's likely to be) - what happens then? would you update your soft-rooted nook? would that brick it? thanks
jen6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:54 AM   #22
mos
Addict
mos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it is

Device: iphone 4, iPad, Nook softrooted
If there is a new firmware from B&N don't install it. Wait until the Dev team has a modified firmware. This time that was very fast. So I think next time it will be fast too.
mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:56 PM   #23
acb
acb began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Thanks for the great videos. They really help make it easy to see how this will work in every day life.
If B&N sends another update OTA, how can you avoid not installing it?
Thanks,
Amy
acb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:37 AM   #24
nabour
Gaget-lovin' Nana
nabour began at the beginning.

Device: Classic Nook, Nookcolor
Try selecting Scan Folders menu option. It refreshes the data only during scanning.
You have to do it after copying books.

Scanning folders did not work. The tags that are listed in my Calibre library simply are not being transferred to the Nook. Hate to be bothersome, but this sort feature was the main attraction for softroot. I've got to be doing something wrong.
nabour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:42 AM   #25
mos
Addict
mos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it is

Tr connectin your Nook via USB to Calibre. Delete the book in your Nook and send it again to the Nook. Than scan folders, maybe that works. If not, try to reboot it. I have no problems with the tags at all. All the tags I have added in Calibre show up on my Nook
Old 03-16-2010, 01:19 AM   #26
jen6060
Connoisseur

Hi mos,
I've watched your video a few times! I just did the soft root, but i'm wondering how exactly to connect wirelessly to calibre - in your video you keyed in your computer's ip, and then stanza. do i need to have stanza installed on desktop? can i do without stanza as actually i dont read on iphone so i never use stanza..? i assume before that i have to enable server in calibre?
Old 03-16-2010, 02:17 AM   #27
mos
Addict

@jen6060. You should have the newest version of Calibre on your computer. Than got in Calibre to "Setings", that'S the icon with the hammer. Scroll down on the left site to "Content server" than click on the right site on start. The server connection is now open.

Than you go to trook. Enter the computer id:8080/stanza Your Nook will usualy connect than to your Calibre library.

Eventhough I have some problems with that at the moment. I can see my folders in Stanza, but cannont get access to my computer.

Just try it. You don't have to have to install anything with Stanza, just Calibre.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:55 AM   #28
jen6060
Connoisseur

Hi - whew, thanks. That seems simpler, not having to install stanza. I actually did Stanza last night but I was v puzzled as to how the computer is supposed to communicate with the Nook! duh..
I do have another question. In your video, you had this v neat thing, going into feedbooks and then being able to get various rss feeds including your own subscriptions (not the default nyt etc that Trook comes with) How did you configure that pls? I registered in Feedbooks and set up some subscriptions, then I was quite lost after that! I would rather not have to do the adb thing, bec that gets me even more lost.
Thanks v much!
Old 03-17-2010, 01:50 PM   #29
Schmots
Connoisseur
Schmots began at the beginning.

Device: nook, prs-505, iphone
... I didn't know to flick side to side on the softroot screen till I watched your videos.. thanks. I was wondering where everything was.
Schmots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:51 PM   #30
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen6060 View Post
Hi - whew, thanks. That seems simpler, not having to install stanza. I actually did Stanza last night but I was v puzzled as to how the computer is supposed to communicate with the Nook! duh..
I do have another question. In your video, you had this v neat thing, going into feedbooks and then being able to get various rss feeds including your own subscriptions (not the default nyt etc that Trook comes with) How did you configure that pls? I registered in Feedbooks and set up some subscriptions, then I was quite lost after that! I would rather not have to do the adb thing, bec that gets me even more lost.
Thanks v much!
Calibre has a number of rss feeds double click on the fetch news icon and available recipes have many rss feeds under the different languages.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote