Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 03-10-2010, 01:09 PM   #16
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by arenner10 View Post
DO NOT BUY THE NOOK. I used to be a big fan of B&N and waited until their nook release to buy an ereader. WORST DECISION EVER. Not only is it incredibly slow but I had to return my nook, TWICE!!! After waiting for my nook that was backordered for 6 weeks, I finally got my nook in mid-January. It was very slow and would often freeze which was remedied by plugging it in to fully charge.
What it sounds like is nook running out of juice and the e-ink technology being what it is, nook's screen "freezing" to what's been last displayed.

You must be really lucky (or unlucky), what are the chances of defective devices sent to the same person TWICE, with the majority of all the other owners not experiencing your problems.
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:14 PM   #17
JerseyBiker
Addict
JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook Glowlight, Galaxy Tab S9, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by arenner10 View Post
DO NOT BUY THE NOOK.
I purchased my Nook about 5 weeks ago. I have read 6 books without 1 single problem. My wife has a Kindle2. I put them side by side and turned pages at the same time to compare how fast they change pages. The Kindle was just slightly faster. Not enough to matter. You probably lucked out and received 2 defective Nooks. I'm sure there are defective units in every model of ereaders made. Just like in probably every man made product. If your problem was common there would be thousands of people making the same complaint. If you really like the Nook don't give up on it because you had an unusual experience of receiving a couple bad ones.

~eddie
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:50 AM   #18
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangri View Post
What it sounds like is nook running out of juice and the e-ink technology being what it is, nook's screen "freezing" to what's been last displayed.

You must be really lucky (or unlucky), what are the chances of defective devices sent to the same person TWICE, with the majority of all the other owners not experiencing your problems.
My first nook froze periodically. I was always able to reset it but it was annoying. B&N replaced it.

My second nook has had its page-forward button crack. I'm going to have to have it replaced also.

Other than those 2 things, I love the nook, I love reading with it, I just wish I didn't have to replace it really. The exchange process was easy and straightforward.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:22 PM   #19
cob666
cob666 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I was initially a bit wary about the Nook but after returning Sony 900 due to screen glare I decided to give it a go. We currently have two Sony 505 readers and I'm happy with the way they perform, I was looking for something that had download to reader capability and I would swallow the 'restocking' fee if I wanted to return it.

It's been almost a month and I'm quite pleased with the Nook due in no small part to the Calibre management software. I think Calibre has a lot of growing up to do but it's GREAT at converting file formats. I converted almost all of my rtf books to epub and was even able to convert our purchased Sony books to open on the Nook.

I'm hoping that either an official or unofficial update will fix battery life and allow for collections of books or folders.
cob666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:22 PM   #20
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by cob666 View Post
I was initially a bit wary about the Nook but after returning Sony 900 due to screen glare I decided to give it a go. We currently have two Sony 505 readers and I'm happy with the way they perform, I was looking for something that had download to reader capability and I would swallow the 'restocking' fee if I wanted to return it.

It's been almost a month and I'm quite pleased with the Nook due in no small part to the Calibre management software. I think Calibre has a lot of growing up to do but it's GREAT at converting file formats. I converted almost all of my rtf books to epub and was even able to convert our purchased Sony books to open on the Nook.

I'm hoping that either an official or unofficial update will fix battery life and allow for collections of books or folders.
Folders you already can have, when softrooting, within "Trook".
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:40 PM   #21
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Folders you already can have, when softrooting, within "Trook".
After you've "Trooked" your Nook, how does it handle the B&N upgrades? Do you have to restore the system to factory specs before upgrading?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:29 PM   #22
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
After you've "Trooked" your Nook, how does it handle the B&N upgrades? Do you have to restore the system to factory specs before upgrading?
Stangri is one of the gurus here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=33
Anyway, reverting to 1.0 would be a matter of only a few minutes.

Last edited by mgmueller; 03-11-2010 at 04:36 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:03 PM   #23
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
If you have root on your Nook you do not want to upgrade to any new os release from B&N. Nookdevs will release the rooted version and then you can upgrade from the rooted 1.2 version to the new rooted version. So no you do not have to revert your nook to upgrade.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:33 PM   #24
voodooblues
Connoisseur
voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.

Device: iPad(3 or HD or whatever), iPad Mini, Kindle 7" hdx, Samsung 7 tab 3
Having owned 3 sony readers, and purchasing a nook. I find my biggest complaint is with the slow startup speed. Compared to my Sony, the nook seems to take forever. But once it is up, I seem to enjoy reading on the nook better. The text seems to be so clear and i find reading a smaller text on the nook much easier. I would also like to see the battery life last longer. One concern i had before i bought it was that the color screen at the bottom would be distracting but it turns off quickly when you are reading and does not bother me. The nook was more comfortable to hold after i purchased an M-Edge cover. The cover also helped lessen my fear of breaking the screen.

I think the nook has a lot of potential if B&N keeps working on it.
voodooblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:45 PM   #25
Bookbee
Bookbee began at the beginning.

Device: jasondavis
I've heard the sync between the Nook's E-ink and the LCD screens is slow? Is this true, anyone?
Bookbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:07 AM   #26
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookbee View Post
I've heard the sync between the Nook's E-ink and the LCD screens is slow? Is this true, anyone?
It is true. It's not much a problem when moving from hyperlink to hyperlink; but quite a problem when choosing word on the page for dictionary lookup. Apart from this, it is an excellent ebook reader.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote