Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 05-25-2013, 12:30 PM   #316
awp
Addict
awp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Sorry, but I have to disagree with you about this.

First, such a log file would not be of much use, if any. If you are not sure that an automatically generated MOBI file is OK, it is preferable to test it with Kindle Previewer. There is a problem with consistency and common sense. By converting an EPUB file to MOBI, Atlantis saves a user a couple of mouse clicks or key presses. Those who have difficulties with running a command-line utility, might find this automatic conversion useful. But they would never need to play with a cryptic log file.

Second, as far as I know, kindlegen.exe does not create log files. It does display various warnings in its console window. Capturing text from a console window which normally displays for a second or less, is possible, but it is not a trivial task. Sorry, but I think that it would be an absolute overkill. Especially when there are simple workarounds.

By the way, Atlantis does its best to generate Kindle-friendly EPUBs. If your EPUB displays correctly in eReaders, there are good chances that a corresponding Kindle file would also be OK.
awp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:28 PM   #317
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Ok but it is a trivial task. You just spawn KindleGen with the name of the file and redirect output using "> logfilename 2>&1" on the command line you just generated.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2013, 02:04 AM   #318
awp
Addict
awp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Dale, thanks for a hint.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:40 PM   #319
awp
Addict

I know, it is trivial. But...

A new video on creating eBooks in Atlantis Word Processor. Part 9 – Converting to Kindle:
http://www.atlantiswordprocessor.com...ting_to_kindle
Old 05-29-2013, 08:27 PM   #320
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awp View Post
I know, it is trivial. But...

A new video on creating eBooks in Atlantis Word Processor. Part 9 – Converting to Kindle:
http://www.atlantiswordprocessor.com...ting_to_kindle
I have been using this for awhile now and it works well. The video is quite clear. The only thing that is different is that I get a question just before KindleGen runs that says do you want to allow this to run (I have a windows 7 machine). For me this is ok since I now have a choice. I can say no if I don't want mobi file and yes if I do. (Note to users, this file is more than 3 times as big as the ePub one since it contains both the KF8 format and the KF7 one.)

Dale
Advert
Old 05-30-2013, 02:35 AM   #321
awp
Addict

Quote:
The only thing that is different is that I get a question just before KindleGen runs that says do you want to allow this to run (I have a windows 7 machine).
You can uncheck the "Always display before opening" box in that "question" dialog, and it would not display anymore.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:45 AM   #322
awp
Addict

There is also a way to reinstate the question dialog after you disabled it by unchecking the "Always display..." box. Just re-unpack the kindlegen.exe file to the home folder of Atlantis.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:03 AM   #323
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
You can uncheck the "Always display before opening" box in that "question" dialog, and it would not display anymore.
sure, I know that. All new apps behave this way but as I said, for this application, I like the question since I don't always want a mobi file. My comment was about the video which is so precise leaving out this detail.

Dale
Old 05-30-2013, 10:24 AM   #324
awp
Addict

I understand your point. But all those confirmation dialogs are Windows-version-specific and optional. The key thing is that a user is supposed to give all required permissions. There is one confirmation dialog in the video. I think that there is no much sense in including two more confirmation dialogs (one more confirmation dialog displays if you uncheck the "Always display..." box) which are likely to be disabled by those who need to create MOBIs regularly.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:55 PM   #325
frank14612
Connoisseur
frank14612 doesn't litterfrank14612 doesn't litterfrank14612 doesn't litter

Device: Nook Simple Touch with Glow-light
Question New thread: How to find and italicize quotation text in Atlantis

If this is not the place to ask this question, please let me know where. Thank you.

As I'm editing a long (~30,000 lines), imported document I'm coming across loads of quoted text within quotation marks. Is there a way to do a find-and-replace operation that will italicize all of it?

Thanks!

Frank
frank14612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:08 PM   #326
awp
Addict

Sorry, but this cannot be done (automatically) in Atlantis.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:28 PM   #327
frank14612
Connoisseur

Quote:
Sorry, but this cannot be done (automatically) in Atlantis.
Thanks, awp. I'll see if I can find a Word macro on the 'net that might do this. If so, I can apply it to the doc in Word, save the doc, then open it in Atlantis.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:28 PM   #328
frank14612
Connoisseur

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank14612 View Post
Thanks, awp. I'll see if I can find a Word macro on the 'net that might do this. If so, I can apply it to the doc in Word, save the doc, then open it in Atlantis.
awp: Success!

I found the perfect Word macro at http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/o...a-30414a50fe9f
I applied it to the document in Word, saved the doc, then opened it in Atlantis. Perfect! All the quotation-mark enclosed sentences, paragraphs, etc., were italicized and included the original quotation marks.

This saves me much, much editing effort and time, and makes the resulting document, which I will be making into an epub using Atlantis, much more readable.

Hope this may help others.

Frank
Old 06-09-2013, 04:47 AM   #329
abeonis
eBook DIYer
abeonis began at the beginning.

Device: K4, KF HD 8.9, Readium
Hi DaleDe. Your post from another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Atlantis word processor has a batch mode that can convert your file. They also have a free trial period. However, they do not support tables. The text in the table is transferred but table structure is not. You will need to reassemble the table in Sigil.
I should have listened to you. I have evaluated so many solutions to my specifc needs that I started to become nervous and ready to give up.

I installed Atlantis 5 minutes ago, imported one of my MS-Word as it is, no clean-up. After a very short delay, I have my ePub file ready to be fine tuned. I open it in Sigil, perfect. Have a look at the generated HTML code, clean. Run Flight Crew, No problems found. I can't believe it.

The doc file I used was written 5 years ago, without any intention to create an epub with it. It is a 350 pages MS-Word technical document with quite complex styling. No problem, Atlantis does it job without complaining. I can easily immagine what can do Atlantis if the doc file was made on purpose!

I start Atlantis eval first thing on monday. Seems I am very close to fix my MS-Word > Sigil gap. Great.

BTW, I don't care about tables, I use images anyway and I always have Sigil. One thing that worries me is that you still need to open Atlantis to run "the batch mode". I was expecting running the tool from the command line, something like the following immaginary command:

Code:
> atlantis.exe file.docx -docx2epub -usethisINIfile > job.log
awp?

Last edited by abeonis; 06-09-2013 at 05:51 AM.
abeonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:21 AM   #330
awp
Addict

It's because ordinary users find visual (GUI) solutions more convenient.

Tags
ebook, epub