Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-21-2009, 12:16 PM   #1
jcgam69
jcgam69 began at the beginning.

Device: DX
kindle web browsing

I'm trying to decide if I want to buy a kindle or a sony reader. One of the features of the kindle I like is free internet access. How good is the web browsing experience on the kindle? Is it fast or slow generally? Can you read text on sites that have a lot of graphics? Or do you find yourself not using it at all? Thanks
jcgam69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:48 PM   #2
JBNY
JBNY began at the beginning.

Device: Kindel, iPad
It's awful. Very slow, to the point I try never to use it unless I really have to. Doing a Wikipedia search takes close to 45 seconds to bring up the page.
JBNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2009, 12:55 PM   #3
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Yeah, it's pretty useless so don't let that sway you at all.

The Wireless is great for getting content on the kindle, but the browsing is worthless.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:57 PM   #4
Sporadic
Banned
Sporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1
It's not that great.

I can Twitter from it pretty easily or read news from mobile sites (like mobile Yahoo) but that's it.

Like dmaul1114 said, the wireless is fantastic for the Kindle store and downloading/redownloading books. Redownloading books is the coolest because if you have to clear some space, the book (if you bought it from Amazon) is always available and is only a click/40 seconds away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBNY View Post
It's awful. Very slow, to the point I try never to use it unless I really have to. Doing a Wikipedia search takes close to 45 seconds to bring up the page.
The speed depends on where you are at. Mine is never that slow.

- edit Here's a picture of Twitter on my Kindle 1

Last edited by Sporadic; 05-21-2009 at 03:16 PM.
Sporadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:40 PM   #5
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
He may have been counting the time of going through the menu, opening the browser, and opening wikipedia etc.

That does take a long time. Especially if you're in a book since you have to load the home screen, then hit menu, then experimental and then browser, then wikipedia link, wait for it to load, type your search in and have it come up.

The last part isn't that slow if you're on at 3G speed rather than 1x. But the Kindle is very slow going from screen to screen. At least the K1, maybe the K2 is a bit faster.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2009, 04:24 PM   #6
Slow_hand
Groupie
Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
It's ok with mobile designed sites. I frequently check the New York Times, Ars Technica, etc. For sites with more than text it's more trouble than it's worth.
Slow_hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:06 PM   #7
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
If you think the Kindle is an ebook reader, then you will be amazed that you can also access the web when you really need it.

If you think the Kindle is a web browser, you will be really, really disappointed.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:29 PM   #8
demoric
Kindle 2 User
demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
I use it to check out my ebay sales, and it works well... a little slow but well enough.
I agree that if the sites are designed for mobile content then it's reasonable to use it. Other than that though it's just a poor browser, but it will do in a pinch.
demoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 02:06 PM   #9
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
as far as web browsing goes I figure that if I am off in the woods backpacking with my trusty kindle at my side and some emergency occurs it is functional enough for me to contact help. it certainly is not a chat room device.
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 07:38 AM   #10
JBNY
JBNY began at the beginning.

Device: Kindel, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporadic View Post
It's not that great.

The speed depends on where you are at. Mine is never that slow.
I get all bars on my wireless most times. It's still painfully slow. My blackberry Bold can pull down the same page in 3-5 seconds that my kindle takes 30-45.
JBNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:00 PM   #11
kamm
Zealot
kamm doesn't litterkamm doesn't litter

Device: Kindle: Amazon's Original Wireless Reading Device (1st generation)
If you want to read things it's prefect (provided you are my kind, not bothered by the lynx-like browser. )
kamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:42 PM   #12
infosprt
infosprt began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, HTC8100, Kindle 2, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamm View Post
If you want to read things it's prefect (provided you are my kind, not bothered by the lynx-like browser. )
I think the Webkit browser on Kindle 3 is going to change all of that. But, with a good browser sooner or later you will have to start paying for web browsing. I wonder if they will update the Kindle 2 with the Webkit browser.
infosprt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:47 PM   #13
matt314159
Groupie
matt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheese

Device: KSO, NookColor (CM7.1), Samsung Mesmerize
I just wonder how much better it will be, though. I guess I really only want it for checking in on facebook, my gmail, and a couple forums...and maybe a blog or two, so I guess it should do okay for that kind of thing.
matt314159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:55 PM   #14
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
The Webkit browser is really intriguing to me. I can't wait to hear how much better it is than the K2/DX browser, which is almost unuseable for me.
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:58 PM   #15
infosprt
infosprt began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, HTC8100, Kindle 2, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt314159 View Post
I just wonder how much better it will be, though. I guess I really only want it for checking in on facebook, my gmail, and a couple forums...and maybe a blog or two, so I guess it should do okay for that kind of thing.
From a pic in the Kindle 3 User's Guide the browser looks pretty good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle_webpic.jpg
Views:	2938
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	55935  
infosprt is offline   Reply With Quote