Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-25-2008, 09:06 PM   #1
Edzilla
Edzilla began at the beginning.

Device: none
Sony PRS-505 or cybook?

Hello,

I've been looking at e-book readers for a while, and I still hesitate between those two.
They both have a similar price, I tried both in a store, and I still can't decide!!

Is there some feature one might have that would be a deal breaker for you?

Thank you very much.
Edzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 09:13 PM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Here's a page from our wiki, which might help:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_devices

And welcome to the forum, Edzilla.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2008, 09:21 PM   #3
Edzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Here's a page from our wiki, which might help:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_devices

And welcome to the forum, Edzilla.
Thank you for the quick answer.
I've been browsing your wiki for a while, but in the forum, I was more looking for some kind of "feeling", or some feature that a regular user might find very interesting, or instead very annoying.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:28 PM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edzilla View Post
I've been browsing your wiki for a while, but in the forum, I was more looking for some kind of "feeling", or some feature that a regular user might find very interesting, or instead very annoying.
Well is there anything in particular you are looking for?

I love my Sony Reader, and wouldn't trade it for the world. But I have no experience with the cybook, so I can't really compare them.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 04:37 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The "killer feature" for the CyBook, for me personally, is dictionary lookup, which the Sony doesn't support. I read a lot of 19th century novels, and although one can generally guess the meaning of an unfamiliar word from context, it makes for a much "richer" reading experience to be able to look up its exact meaning.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2008, 05:40 AM   #6
julia
Connoisseur
julia began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505, kindle2, nook glow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edzilla View Post
i agree with harry about the dictionary possibility.
but love my sony best for the way it looks, feels, page lookup, used material
julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 07:35 PM   #7
Edzilla

Thank you very much for your answers.

I just found out that the prs-505 is way cheaper than the cybook, if I don't buy it in france, so that might just be the deal breaker
Old 12-27-2008, 04:46 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In the UK, the CyBook is cheaper .
Old 12-27-2008, 10:19 AM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
For me, the killer feature of the Sony 505 is the placement of the buttons. And - to my eyes - it's elegant and stylish.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 12-27-2008 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Dear God: I forgot to put a "." at the end of my sentence!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 06:20 PM   #10
JinRoh
JinRoh began at the beginning.

Device: ¿Cybook / Hanlin / Sony?
I have the same dilemma. I don't know which one I should buy... I like both, but it seems that the Sony usually gets better reviews, and it's cheaper! (i'm spanish, I can buy the 505 in watertones at 194GBP, and the cybook at... 220gbp in pixmania uk (and I don't know if they ship ouside UK)).
JinRoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 07:16 PM   #11
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
You have the Cybook in your own pixmania (249 euros):
http://www.pixmania.com/es/es/r/cybook

And in the Spanish online shop Apolo XXI (289 euros):
http://www.apolloxxi.com
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 08:25 PM   #12
Edzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDHarriman View Post
You have the Cybook in your own pixmania (249 euros):
http://www.pixmania.com/es/es/r/cybook

And in the Spanish online shop Apolo XXI (289 euros):
http://www.apolloxxi.com
Yeah, but if I buy the sony from the US amazon, with the dollar/euro conversion rate being what it is, I can get it for less than 200 euros!!

Last edited by Edzilla; 12-27-2008 at 08:29 PM.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:14 PM   #13
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
But you will have to pay VAT when importing the device.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 03:23 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Don't forget the other benefits of the CyBook:

- You can load any Truetype/OpenType font onto the machine.
- You can read any book in any font in any of 12 different font sizes.
- Proper support for italic and bold fonts, compared with the Sony's "synthesised" fonts.
- A user-replaceable battery.
- Support for MobiPocket - very much the "de Facto" industry standard.

The Sony is undoubtedly the "prettier" machine, but to my mind, the Gen3 is far better as a book reader. I say that as a former Sony owner.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:25 AM   #15
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
My last answer was to your quote:
“(i'm spanish, I can buy the 505 in watertones at 194GBP, and the cybook at... 220gbp in pixmania uk (and I don't know if they ship ouside UK)).”

As you are putting new variables into equation - now is buyng direct from Amazon in the US - and If I was in your shoes, I would make a simulation into making that buying from Amazon: buying the Sony, seeing how much they will charge you for the transport, and try to find how much you will pay for costumes and VAT in Spain when the device enters the country.

One more thing: buying the Sony from the US and you will not have the European warranty for it.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote