Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-08-2011, 07:07 AM   #1
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Geneology Question... I need help!

I know that the children of my aunt or uncle are my "First Cousins."

A. What are my cousin's children in relation to me?
B. What is my son in relationship to my first cousins?
C. What are my cousin's children in relationship to my son?

Second cousins? First cousins, twice removed? Grand Duchess of Fenwick?

Any help would be appreciated. I just met (via Facebook) the 35-year old daughter of my first cousin (whom I lost track of 40 years ago and just re-established contact) who wants to contact my son. I'd love to know what to classify them as!

Anybody really 'know' about this stuff?

Thanks

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:52 AM   #2
Maggie May
Grand Sorcerer
Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: CYbook Gen3 and Sony PRS 3505 Kindle 3 G Nexus 7 iPad
I hope I'm right but here goes.
The children of your first cousins are your first cousins once removed
Your son and your first cousins children are second cousins.
I'm open to correction.

Mag.
Maggie May is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2011, 08:11 AM   #3
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie May View Post
I hope I'm right but here goes.
The children of your first cousins are your first cousins once removed
Your son and your first cousins children are second cousins.
I'm open to correction.

Mag.
Thanks. That was my thinking, but it seems too simple...
Let's see if there are any other responses.

Stitchawl
Old 09-08-2011, 08:39 AM   #4
Falcao
Banned
Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post

In Spanish, the answers are a) Second nephews/nieces; b) Second uncles/aunts; c) Second cousins

But, since I guess you are more interested in the English terms, wikipedia has a nice article about this.
Falcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:57 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post

A. Your first cousins once removed.
B. Their first cousin once removed.
C. His second cousins.

First cousins (usually just "cousins") share a grandparent.
Second cousins share a great grandparent.
Third cousins share a great great grandparent.

The tricky bit is when the relationship to be described is between different generations. The way it's done is to look at the common ancestor, and take the closest relation to the common ancestor. The 'removed' counts the generational difference

Since the common ancestor of your son and your cousin is your son's great grandparent, and your cousin's grandparent, they are first cousins. Since they are separated by one generation, they are first cousins once removed.

Unlike for Aunt/Uncle/Nephew/Niece, there isn't a different description of the relationship that depends on the sex of the people involved, nor on the direction of the generational difference.

Your cousin's children are your first cousins once removed, and you are their first cousin once removed as well.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2011, 10:05 AM   #6
Stitchawl
Opsimath

OK... looks as if we've got some knowledgeable people in this forum!

MaggieMay and pdurrant seem to agree. pdurrant speaks with certainty about the way it all works... Almost simple when it's explained to me. Almost. At least I can now tell my son to contact his second cousin!
Thanks, folks. I appreciate it!

Stitchawl
Old 09-08-2011, 10:37 AM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcao View Post
In Spanish, the answers are a) Second nephews/nieces; b) Second uncles/aunts; c) Second cousins

But, since I guess you are more interested in the English terms, wikipedia has a nice article about this.
I rather like second uncles/aunts and second nephews/nieces. You're quite right that they're not terms used in English, but I'm tempted to start using them myself — they seem to be straight forward enough.

Code:
               A
               |
        ———————————————
        B1           B2
        |             |
    _________     _________
    C1     C2     C3     C4
    |             |
  _____         _____
  D1 D2         D3 D4
So D1 is C2's niece and B2's great niece and C3's cousin once removed and D3's second cousin

But with the new nomenclature, D1 would be C3's second niece, and C3 would be D1's second uncle.

of course, there is a reason English doesn't have non-generic terms for those relationships: It's rare for any Englishman to actually know his second cousin once removed, or need to specify the relationship.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:53 PM   #8
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
I found an explanation of it somewhere when I was putting together my own family tree (that Ancestry app for iPad is evil, I am telling y'all...). But it looks like pdurrant has the same answers that I found.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:41 PM   #9
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
It hurts the brain!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:42 AM   #10
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
your 2nd cousins
their 2nd cousin
1st cousins.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:03 AM   #11
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
your 2nd cousins
their 2nd cousin
1st cousins.
Sorry crich, wrong on all counts.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:37 AM   #12
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Sorry crich, wrong on all counts.
My 2nd cousins would be very surprised to hear that. Take the last one for example. His son and his cousins children are the same generation so they are 1st cousins.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:54 PM   #13
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
My 2nd cousins would be very surprised to hear that. Take the last one for example. His son and his cousins children are the same generation so they are 1st cousins.
No. Being the same generation just means that there's no 'removed' in their relationship description. Since their nearest common ancestor is their great grandparents, they are 2nd cousins.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:02 PM   #14
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
No. Being the same generation just means that there's no 'removed' in their relationship description. Since their nearest common ancestor is their great grandparents, they are 2nd cousins.
Yes, I'm with pdurrant on this - I have been very involved with family history for a while, so you do get used to it.

Another confusing thing in relationship terminology is that a great-aunt or uncle is a generation closer to the child in question than a great-grandmother/father is. There could be a good argument for changing to grand-aunt or uncle, to be the same as grandmother/father.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:29 AM   #15
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Another confusing thing in relationship terminology is that a great-aunt or uncle is a generation closer to the child in question than a great-grandmother/father is. There could be a good argument for changing to grand-aunt or uncle, to be the same as grandmother/father.
This seems to be a regional variation. I've always called siblings of my grandparents great-uncle or great-aunt, but I believe that in some places (in the US?) grand-uncle and grand-aunt is used instead.