Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-19-2009, 06:29 AM   #1
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
Calibre and Sony Library

Sorry if this question has been asked before.

I have had my Sony PRS-700 for 2 weeks now, and flashed it twice and removed the Sony Library from my PC the same day I got it, because of messing up of meta data of Sony books, (after installing Calibre) and on advice from members here.

Now I want to reinstall the Sony library.... sigh...

So my question is:
Can I purchase books from the Sony store and still use Calibre? If so how? Please remember I'm still a complete novice with this device and software.

I have asked variations of this question before (inside other threads), but as yet, I have no clear answer.
Thanks!
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 06:36 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
As I understand it any books ought from the Sony Library need the Sony software to be present. Such books can be copied into the calibre library, but as they are normally DRM protected they cannot be converted to another format and there are limitations on what metadata can be changed.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 06:52 AM   #3
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
As I understand it any books ought from the Sony Library need the Sony software to be present. Such books can be copied into the calibre library, but as they are normally DRM protected they cannot be converted to another format and there are limitations on what metadata can be changed.
So if I reinstall the Sony Library and buy books I can import them into the Calibre Library and upload to device from there?
If anyone is using this method please say.

Last edited by dragonbone; 03-19-2009 at 07:35 AM.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:37 AM   #4
dragonbone
must love dogs

Anyone else?

Are there any Calibre users using the Sony Store to buy books?
Thanks.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:55 AM   #5
kiklop74
Guru
kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Sony books are all in LRF format. That format tends to crash the reader unless you transfer the file using Sony library software. See here:

http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/user_manual/faq.html#id26

So in short if you plan on using LRF format protected or not you MUST use Sony library software for transfering files. Calibre and Sony library software do not cope together well. I had three times to reformat reader while I used both programs. So for file transfer use one and only one program - no mix.

In your case you should use Sony library software for purchasing books and managing files. You should use calibre to get the newsfeeds and import downloaded feeds into sony library and than transfer them.
kiklop74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:04 AM   #6
dragonbone
must love dogs

Thanks for your answer Kiklop74!
Yes, I meant reformat, not flash!
This is sad news.
So just to understand better...... all the Sony device users here either don't buy any books and all their books are freebies and they use Calibre, OR they buy books and use the Sony Library?
So which library do you use, if you don't mind me asking?
Old 03-19-2009, 08:05 AM   #7
Mitchll
Cave Dweller
Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Ipad Sony reader prs-505 prs-900
The books purchased in the Sony Store are in LRX format (drm version of LRF). I repeatedly added them from the original directory to calibre and then added them to my reader. Calibre reads the meta data and shows them in the lists.
Mitchll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:10 AM   #8
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
There should be no problems - when you buy a book, it'll get downloaded to "My Documents\My Books\eBook Library\", from which you can just import it into Calibre & use Calibre to communicate with the Sony. The LRX books will have 'odd' names, but Calibre can read their titles & authors from the metadata. (Interestingly, the Google epub books have reasonable names.

You can also just export the books you want from Calibre to a folder, then use the Sony software to copy them to the device - you'd gain the pre-formatting, but loose the automated categories that Calibre provides.

You could even use both, although I'd suggest that just to be safe, you only run one at a time!

Being in the UK, I can't register a CCard to buy books from the Sony store, but I have bought some with voucher codes & occasionally grab their freebies, all of which are DRM'd LRX - the bulk of the books I read are LRF though & while I did used to use the Sony software, I've switched to Calibre & have used that for over the last couple of months.

[More...] My experience differ's from kiklop74's! The Calibre issue refer'd to is almost entirely with News content (i.e. it might be possible to create books that show it, but normal one's don't) - also, if applicable, you'd have already hit it! I think you'll find many Calibre users don't use the Sony software at all & there's NO problem in using it for transferring LRF files in general.

Last edited by gwynevans; 03-19-2009 at 08:27 AM.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:16 AM   #9
kiklop74
Guru
kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

I can not purchase books from Sony library since I am not resident of USA and thus do not have credit card issued over there. So I use calibre for everything.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:45 AM   #10
dragonbone
must love dogs

@ Kiklop74, I also am not a USA resident, but when I installed the software I said that I was, and was able to download a few of the 100 freebies.
Then I deleted them, and now I regret it... . I also want to have access to the 500'000 free books available now, since Google has partnered up with Sony!!! BTW there is a guy here who sometimes is able to arrange gift cards for the Sony Store, (if you are interested) and I will be buying a card from him if I can sort out this problem.

@ Gwynevans, thanks for your reply.
If I can understand you correctly..... I can purchase books from the Sony Store and then import them into Calibre, and use Calibre without using the Sony Library?

@ Mitchll, thanks for the reply. Basically the same question as above and:
Do you have both Sony books and other books in your Calibre Library which you then load to you device via Calibre?

Last edited by dragonbone; 03-26-2009 at 09:42 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:20 AM   #11
smurphy
Connoisseur
smurphy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.smurphy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.smurphy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
Strange. I got the 100Freebies on a CD when I bought my PRS-505 in Uk/Waterstone. Even if I live in Germany
PS: I don't support the policy of eBook Reader manufacturers, to bind their eBooks to their only store. So - I use Calibre, and buy wherever the Books I want are.
That's it ...

I feel really sorry for the Kindle-Users ... they really got sa*ed ...
smurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:49 AM   #12
kiklop74
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbone View Post
@ Kiklop74, I also am not a USA resident, but when I installed the software I said that I was, and was able to download a few of the 100 freebies.
The thing is - in order to register in the store you need to supply credit card information and credit card must be issued in the USA. So if I can not buy any books I do not care for that store.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:09 AM   #13
dragonbone
must love dogs

No you don't need a CC, just open an account with gift card, as far as I know. But of course you must say LIVE IN USA, haha. I think when they ask for CC details you click 'other'.

Last edited by dragonbone; 03-19-2009 at 10:14 AM.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:42 AM   #14
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
You don't need to fill in CC info just to register.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:46 AM   #15
dragonbone
must love dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
You don't need to fill in CC info just to register.
Hi Igorsk, do you buy books from the Sony store? I see you have several devices. What is your take on my original question (on top of thread)? Thanks.
Reason I ask again, (more opinion) because of different answers...