Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-10-2009, 06:17 PM   #1
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nokia 770 (fbreader)
loader

What is the loader process, and why are there multiple processes? Also, why do they suck up so much cpu? I frequently get 100% cpu and lockups or overheating. Particularly with download jobs.

Now, my machine runs hot, always has -- I don't blame Calibre for that per se. It just highly exacerbates the problem.

Even when I close Calibre, I still have loader processes running and I have to kill them manually via the command line. I haven't found a way to tell Calibre not to use so much cpu.

Xubuntu 9.04, 2.6.28-17-generic kernel.

Thanks,

m a r
rogue_ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:49 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Those are the worker processes, where the work happens Multiple process don't strain your CPU as they sleep when not in use.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2009, 11:04 AM   #3
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Fair enough. How can I constrain them? I frequently get two loader processes that each use about 44% of the cpu. (I'm running conky on the desktop, so I can see it clearly.) It's to the point that I can't really run calibre.

I've reduced the number of processes from 4 to 2 in preferences. Are there any other tricks you can recommend?

Thanks,

m a r
Old 12-11-2009, 12:41 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What version of calibre are you using?
Old 12-11-2009, 12:57 PM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
What priority (under Preferences) have you set for the background processes. I would expect you to want them set to low to keep good foreground preformance.

High cpu perofrmance in itself is not normally an issue as long as the things that matter for performance get the CPU when they need it.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2009, 03:29 PM   #6
rogue_ronin
Banned

Version 0.6.26.

I cannot find a setting for background processes. It's supposed to be on the 'General' panel, right? I just searched again, and there doesn't seem to be one. I presume you're using Windows? I'm on Linux.

(Of course, there are ways to set the NICE level on Linux, but I'm not very familiar with it, and I definitely don't know how to set it on a recurring systemic level.)

m a r
Old 12-11-2009, 04:23 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

priority is a windows only setting. Niceing your processes wont change cpu utilization anyway.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:08 PM   #8
rogue_ronin
Banned

So I'm out of luck?

m a r
Old 12-13-2009, 01:17 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

yeah, i dont know af any way to force a process to use less CPU than it wants to, in the absence of competing processes. What I would suggest is you cap your CPU clock cycles using frequency scaling.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:36 PM   #10
rogue_ronin
Banned

Well, reducing the number of processes to 2, from 4, gives me 50% cpu usage instead of %100, so it's workable now.

Thanks for your time,

m a r