Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 05-03-2012, 09:02 AM   #1
dgabriel
dgabriel began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
Validation messages

I am a self-taught ePub creator and have had quite a bit of good luck (I'll call it luck). Usually I was going from INDD to PDF to HTML to Sigil. But in reading some information I went this last time from WORD to HTML to Sigil. BTW I am using a MAC.

I validated and got a ton of messages.

I was able to clear up a lot. but the main remaining I just don't know how to deal with:

Fonts:

OEBPS/Fonts/GothamNarrow Book.otf - N/A - This resource is present in the OPF <manifest>, but it's not reachable (it's unused).

I was trying to use embedded fonts so I suppose I set it up wrong. If there is a fairly straight-forward way to help me I would greatly appreciate it.

Body code:

I get this for almost every file -
<body link="blue" style="tab-interval:.5in" vlink="purple" xml:lang="EN-US" xmlns:xml="http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace">
attribute 'link' is not declared for element 'body'
and attribute 'vlink' is not declared for element 'body'

One thing I liked about the conversion is that it made nice tables - I could never get tables to automatically be created the other way I worked. But I get - attribute 'width' is not declared for element 'td' - when I go to the line in question -
<td style="width:189.9pt;border-top:none;border-left: solid #365F91 1.0pt;border-bottom:solid #5B903E 1.0pt;border-right:solid #5B903E 1.0pt; padding:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt" valign="top" width="190">

looks to me like 'width' is there. I get tons of these messages - for every table/row

Now the book looks great on my iPad and I opened it in ADE and it looks good. Fonts are not what I specified, but forums seem to say this is a tricky problem.

Is it feasible to send this book to users with all the validation messages unanswered?

I know this is long and a bit involved, but hope to hear from someone.
Thank you so much
Deb
dgabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:17 AM   #2
huebi
Zealot
huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
As this has nothing to do with Sigil why are you asking in a forum about Sigil? If my cars complaigns about low pressure in the tyres i'm not asking the producer of the measurement system on how to deal with that. Theres a section called epug dealing with that. And again: its worthless to have a look even only once a month here in this forum as 90% of the questions are in the wrong thread. Its a pity, but i have to live with that. Far well and thx for the fish
huebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2012, 09:37 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Moderator Notice
Moving to EPUB. A Basic EPUB question not specific to Sigil.

Alink and Vlink are not formatted properly to be coded in the tag. IMHO those codes belong in the stylesheet.

Tab interval .5 INCHES for 2 reasons
1) a absolute value that won't re-flow
2) small screen users. 4 tabs and your work is in the next county

Test your work on something other that an Apple or color screen (test on a few common, different problematic (read here at MR and you will figure which seem to cause more ) models
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:28 PM   #4
dgabriel
dgabriel began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
I do humbly apologize for being in the wrong thread - but now it's in ePub....

I will try to find out more on my own, on on Alink and Vlink stylesheets - if someone has any ideas they have the time to share - that would be appreciated
dgabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #5
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
if your source is word, you need to cleanup the html code first.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2012, 05:56 PM   #6
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgabriel View Post
OEBPS/Fonts/GothamNarrow Book.otf - N/A - This resource is present in the OPF <manifest>, but it's not reachable (it's unused).

I was trying to use embedded fonts so I suppose I set it up wrong. If there is a fairly straight-forward way to help me I would greatly appreciate it.
Usually, this happens, if there's no link to the stylesheet in the .html file. Your header should look something like this:

Code:
<head>
  <title></title>
  <link href="../Styles/Style.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
</head>
If you're sure that the stylesheet is properly referenced, you most likely didn't declare the font correctly in the stylesheet.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clean-up, sigil, validation