Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 04-29-2011, 10:03 AM   #1
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Nook Wi-Fi + 3G (refurb) for $99 at eBay 4/29/2011

Manufacturer refurbished Wi-Fi + 3G Nooks are $99 at eBay, with free shipping. These are "direct from Barnes & Noble".

No idea how long these will be available - B&N seems to do this (sell mfr refurb Nooks via eBay) from time to time, and the deal usually seems to be around for a while - until some quantity of Nooks gets sold.

I don't use a Nook, and don't follow all of the specific Nook models, but $99 for the Wi-Fi + 3G seems to be a pretty good deal. I'm actually tempted myself, just to try out a Nook, but I'm still pretty happy with my PRS-300.

Anyway, the link is here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NOOK-Barnes-and-...21263713231392
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:51 AM   #2
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Yeah, with free 3G, this is approaching no-brainer territory.
I can't possibly justify another e-reader for myself, or blowing $100 on a tech toy right now, but if I could, I would.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:59 AM   #3
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Just be aware that Nook's 3G is for book store only, not for web surfing.
Still a very good deal!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:03 AM   #4
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I had been told it had Kindle-like 'experimental' web browsing since firmware 1.3. Is this wrong?
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/...browser-chess/
Old 04-29-2011, 11:44 AM   #5
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Sweet, just grabbed a second one for my partner. I've had mine for more than a year and love it!
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:53 AM   #6
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I had been told it had Kindle-like 'experimental' web browsing since firmware 1.3. Is this wrong?
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/...browser-chess/
It does have web browsing, but as I understand only through WiFi, not 3G.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:00 PM   #7
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
It does have web browsing, but as I understand only through WiFi, not 3G.
Oh. That would eliminate my interest, but I guess this would be a decent price for even the wifi only version, for those who were already considering a Nook.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:10 PM   #8
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
If you want a tablet for web browsing, you need a nook color. Nooks are e-readers and do not function well as anything but readers. Mind you, I adore mine for reading, but if i want to surf the web, I'll use my droid. The 3g is great for when you want to buy a book and you arent near a wireless access point though.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:20 PM   #9
ApK

On a Kindle, 3G is good for a lot more than that. It's good for getting free books from MR, or Project Gutenberg, or many other places, or for sending yourself documents. It's good for looking up something you are reading about on Google or Wikipedia, it's good for checking email and current news, without having to pay for a data plan on a smartphone.
I honestly had thought the Nook added the same capability. The 1.3 release articles didn't make it clear.
It's no substitute for a real web browsing, in either device, to be sure, but the Nooks 3G offering just doesn't add a lot of extra value for me.
Still, as I said, $99 seems decent even if you were looking for a wifi-only Nook, with the 3G book buying as a free bonus.