Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-24-2009, 07:11 AM   #1
kampang
kampang began at the beginning.

Device: none
Talking Battery life ...

Hi,

For e-ink device the battery life is measured in number of page flip, like 7000 or 8000.

If I fully charged a device, for example Sony 505, and flip an ebook 10 times, then turn it off and never turn it on again ... When will the battery depleted (runs out)? Never?

Thanks.
kampang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:15 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Sony will run in "standby" mode for about two and a half to three weeks on a battery charge.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2009, 08:02 AM   #3
kampang

Ok, so it does not matter how many pages we flip ... after 2.5 - 3 weeks, the battery will be run out and we need to re-charge it again ... (standby mode).

But if it I turn it off (not standby) ... then it will be much longer, correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Sony will run in "standby" mode for about two and a half to three weeks on a battery charge.

Last edited by kampang; 07-24-2009 at 08:05 AM.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:06 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No, I'm saying that if you don't use it at all, the battery will last about 3 weeks. There is a small, constant, drain on the battery from the CPU, memory, etc. There is also an additional power drain every time you turn the page and the screen refreshes.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:23 AM   #5
kampang

Oh ok Thanks for the info. I was thinking standby is like standby in laptop.

So, practically, if I left it for 3 weeks ... I must re-charge it again ... even though I dont use it at all.

At first it was confusing because it measured on page flips and no info on timing (duration).
Advert
Old 07-24-2009, 09:31 AM   #6
halljames
Zealot
halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Apple iPad
You can do a full shut down on the Sony 505 from the System menu which will turn it off totally. Although the battery will still discharge over time, it is totally off, and so even after 3 weeks, it will still have a charge when you switch it on
halljames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:54 AM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Almost all devices quote similar numbers for "page turns per battery charge", but what distinguishes good battery management is how long they last switched on but without turning pages. The longest is the Hanlin V3, then the Sony PRS-505 (both more than two weeks). The Amazon quotes "weeks" for the Kindle 2 with Whispernet turned off. Netronix hardware tends to do less well, and I think the Cybook Gen3 actually turns itself off after a while to conserve the battery.

I don't know if it has been tested, but if a device is actually turned off then the battery consumption should be very low. If the battery is user replaceable, e.g. on a Kindle 1 or a Hanlin, I would take the battery out completely if I was storing the device for a month or two.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 12:57 PM   #8
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Quote:
Originally Posted by kampang View Post
Oh ok Thanks for the info. I was thinking standby is like standby in laptop.

So, practically, if I left it for 3 weeks ... I must re-charge it again ... even though I dont use it at all.

At first it was confusing because it measured on page flips and no info on timing (duration).
Actually even with a laptop, you lose a small fraction of battery power when it's turned off.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 01:28 PM   #9
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
and I think the Cybook Gen3 actually turns itself off after a while to conserve the battery.
That is user configurable. The publicly available latest firmware for the Cybook lasts only around 100 hours with the unit just on (no page turning).
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 04:28 PM   #10
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Ok, so it does not matter how many pages we flip ... after 2.5 - 3 weeks, the battery will be run out and we need to re-charge it again ... (standby mode).
[/QUOTE]
It is a combination of pageturns and running time.
If you read really fast (like 1000 pages an hour) you will get 7000 pages. If you read slow, you can read perhaps 3000 pages in 10 days.
Just like with mobile phones. Battery life is a combination of standby and talking time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kampang View Post
But if it I turn it off (not standby) ... then it will be much longer, correct?
Yes.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 04:28 PM   #11
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
... The longest is the Hanlin V3, then the Sony PRS-505 (both more than two weeks). The Amazon quotes "weeks" for the Kindle 2 with Whispernet turned off. Netronix hardware tends to do less well, and I think the Cybook Gen3 actually turns itself off after a while to conserve the battery.
The longest was Sony Reader PRS-500
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote