Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-20-2013, 11:41 PM   #46
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
Television has changed a lot since the free days, and the quality is definitely better - but it also costs $50-$100/month to have access to some of the high quality programming. That's really the opposite of what's going on with e-books.
It'd be a stretch to call today's programming as "high quality".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
This cuts both ways: there is an advantage to getting a book that a publisher has deemed worth the investment in paying up front for an advance, editing, etc.
The same editors edited the paperback I bought for $3.99. I should be able to get an ebook for at least the same price!
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:24 AM   #47
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
It'd be a stretch to call today's programming as "high quality"
Actually no, while I agree that there has never been as much crap programs available as there is right now, neither has there been as many quality programs. QI, The Blue Planet, House M.D., Breaking Bad, Downton Abbey, Top Gear, Mythbusters, Modern Family. I'm a huge fan of documentaries by BBC, although I'm also a bit worried about how the present scandal will affect their programming.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:31 AM   #48
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I'm a huge fan of documentaries by BBC, although I'm also a bit worried about how the present scandal will affect their programming.
What scandal?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:18 AM   #49
ereadingdotcom
CEO, Ereading.com
ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
This my first post to the forums, but I thought it was an interesting topic and that I'd weigh in.

Personally, I cannot see why an ebook needs to cost more than a paperback. In our experience working on the back-end of eReading.com (which is not yet live), we have learned quite a bit about ebook pricing. The general consensus in the industry seems to be that because ebook saturation is nowhere near that of traditional publishing as yet, this inequality in market share must be made up for by higher prices.

This doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Most books from traditional publishers are still being published as both print and digital editions; so why would that have any impact on the digital side? Digital seems almost like "bonus money", if you will, and that's in a worst-case scenario.
ereadingdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:56 AM   #50
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What scandal?
Can't remember his name, since his programs weren't exported to Sweden. Turned out he was, post-mortem, exposed as a pedophile and BBC had covered up his activities. I think the chairman had to resign.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:14 AM   #51
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Can't remember his name, since his programs weren't exported to Sweden. Turned out he was, post-mortem, exposed as a pedophile and BBC had covered up his activities. I think the chairman had to resign.
Oh, OK, that's the Jimmy Saville thing. An independent review found management mistakes, but no "cover up". See:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20778261

Absolutely no reason whatsoever to expect any changes in programme output.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:50 AM   #52
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I believe in the death of the $14.99 e-book. I believe inflation will take it well over the $20 mark by 2017.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:31 PM   #53
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Oh, OK, that's the Jimmy Saville thing. An independent review found management mistakes, but no "cover up". See:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20778261

Absolutely no reason whatsoever to expect any changes in programme output.
Perhaps not, but these things often have unintended consequences. Journalists basically have one asset, their integrity. When that gets smeared they often want to get as far away as possible. I hope you are right about programming output, because I'm a huge fan of BBC, even got a proxy so I could download the iPlayer.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:03 PM   #54
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
It'd be a stretch to call today's programming as "high quality".
No, not at all. There's no comparison between the best shows of the 60's, 70's, 80's, or even the 90's (maybe with a couple of outliers) and shows like "the Sopranos" or "Breaking Bad" or "Mad Men" or "Boardwalk Empire" or "Game of Thrones" or many more.

Of course, the low end is probably lower, too...but that's a different issue.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:31 PM   #55
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I'm with jersey man however I have not been able to get my pricetag that low as yet. However I think that if I really want to I could get my limit down that low. Right now my limit is $8 although I can sympathize with what Jersey man is saying. I don't think that anyone is worth more than that, I am simply could care less how good or bad the litterature is I am simply not willing to pay those astronomical prices that some book stores are charging these days. I used to like Brad Thor and Clive Cussler, I have a lot of from those authors in printed form, however I am not willing to pay those prices for those books these days.

Look at it this way I can go through 85 books a year and an increase of $2 from $8 to $10 may not seem like a lot except when you look at it on a yearly basis $2 * 85 = $175 per year and that can be a sizable chunk of change. I am simply not willing to pay it.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #56
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I'll go up to $15 for eARCs from Baen for books by Lois Bujold and Lee/Miller. But those are the only two authors I'm willing to do that for. (If Nora Roberts / JD Robb had eARCS, I'd seriously consider them too.)
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:00 PM   #57
ereadingdotcom
CEO, Ereading.com
ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
eARCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I'll go up to $15 for eARCs from Baen for books by Lois Bujold and Lee/Miller. But those are the only two authors I'm willing to do that for. (If Nora Roberts / JD Robb had eARCS, I'd seriously consider them too.)
I've never heard of eARCs before. Does that actually exist? If it doesn't, Becca, that's an interesting idea. Selling digital ARCs to customers at a higher price and making that higher price a premium service rather than a greed-based necessity.

Let me add, by the way, that I understand ARCs. I just wasn't aware of any larger publishers sending digital ARCs out.
ereadingdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:25 PM   #58
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereadingdotcom View Post
I've never heard of eARCs before. Does that actually exist? If it doesn't, Becca, that's an interesting idea. Selling digital ARCs to customers at a higher price and making that higher price a premium service rather than a greed-based necessity.

Let me add, by the way, that I understand ARCs. I just wasn't aware of any larger publishers sending digital ARCs out.
Baen has been selling eARCs for several years, at least. And not only are they a higher price to begin with, the author gets a higher percentage, too. (And apparently, quite a few of the people who buy them also buy the release version later.)
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:32 PM   #59
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
The advantage to the eARC is that you get the book up to 3 months before publication date. It's the unproofed version, and apparently at least one book (by David Weber, I believe) had substantial changes between the eARC and the published book, so you have to really trust the author (or not care) when you get the eARC.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:48 PM   #60
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Prices will only go up if people are willing to pay an increased price. People have other options besides reading books, and there will always be cheaper book competition. If someone tries to sell e-books for $20, that $2.99 book starts looking really appealing - and often remains appealing after you start reading it.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote