Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-21-2012, 07:10 AM   #16
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Found the Kindle and Kobo Glo in Bic Camera today. Not next to each other unfortunately so it was impossible to make a direct comparison. I don't know why anyone would buy it online and wait until January 2013 when they can pick it up right away.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1353499817023.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	96592  
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:17 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Given the high price difference between the 3G and WiFi versions of the PW (the difference is £60 - about $100 - in the UK), you'd have to use 3G a heck of a lot to justify it, I think.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2012, 08:51 AM   #18
Snorkledorf
Blue. Not sad...just blue
Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ridibooks Paper Pro
Sure enough, that's really lame. The US model covers Japan, but the Japan model doesn't even make the hop to Korea...

But wait, can the US PW handle Japanese now? Amazon's page says:
Quote:
Works in Your Language
Kindle Paperwhite can be used in English, Brazilian Portuguese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, and Spanish. You can easily select the language that you are most comfortable with, and enjoy instant dictionary lookups in any of these languages.
Global Content Support
Kindle Paperwhite supports the display of non-Latin characters, so you can read books and documents in your favorite language, including enhanced support for Japanese and Chinese (Simplified and Traditional). Kindle Paperwhite also displays Korean, Cyrillic, Latin, and Greek scripts, and provides free access to several international dictionaries.
So you can run it in Japanese, and display Japanese content? This sounds just like my PW-J, except I'm lacking Traditional Chinese. When did this support for Japanese happen? Was it like that from the start, or was it included in an update? Does that include vertical, and right-to-left text? If so, I'm not really seeing much hardware advantage in buying it in Japan.

Of course access to the Japanese store is admittedly kinda useful...

The 5.3.0 update (that's what my PW-J is running out of the box) says it includes for example the Simplified Chinese support that I'm seeing here, so is the hardware otherwise the same, except for the sucky 3G in Japan? I'm beginning to think that it might be more advantageous to buy it cheaper from the US and see about registering it with the Japanese store. Not sure you can do that though.
Snorkledorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:00 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorkledorf View Post
I'm beginning to think that it might be more advantageous to buy it cheaper from the US and see about registering it with the Japanese store. Not sure you can do that though.
I don't see why not. I have several US-bought Kindles registered with the UK store.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:58 AM   #20
silverspear
Connoisseur
silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Found the Kindle and Kobo Glo in Bic Camera today. Not next to each other unfortunately so it was impossible to make a direct comparison. I don't know why anyone would buy it online and wait until January 2013 when they can pick it up right away.
Thanks thanks so much for the confirmation and pictures!! I hope there will still be stock when I arrive in the following week..
silverspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2012, 10:01 AM   #21
silverspear
Connoisseur
silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sure enough, that's really lame. The US model covers Japan, but the Japan model doesn't even make the hop to Korea...

But wait, can the US PW handle Japanese now? Amazon's page says:
So you can run it in Japanese, and display Japanese content? This sounds just like my PW-J, except I'm lacking Traditional Chinese. When did this support for Japanese happen? Was it like that from the start, or was it included in an update? Does that include vertical, and right-to-left text? If so, I'm not really seeing much hardware advantage in buying it in Japan.

Of course access to the Japanese store is admittedly kinda useful...

The 5.3.0 update (that's what my PW-J is running out of the box) says it includes for example the Simplified Chinese support that I'm seeing here, so is the hardware otherwise the same, except for the sucky 3G in Japan? I'm beginning to think that it might be more advantageous to buy it cheaper from the US and see about registering it with the Japanese store. Not sure you can do that though.
From what I think, I suspect that amazon indeed has differentiated PW-J and PW-I (international), either through firmware, or by physical hardware like mac address or something. If someone can confirm if amazon does provide different download links/versions for PW-J and PW-I, then we will know if it's by which method.

differentiation is the only way that they can get the PW3G-J to only get 3G access in Japan and not worldwide.

I also note that the amazon jp page mentions that PW-J comes with 2 Jap fonts. Maybe the PW-I only has 1 Jap font?
Old 11-22-2012, 10:44 PM   #22
Snorkledorf
Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't see why not. I have several US-bought Kindles registered with the UK store.
You can do that? Cool. I've never had two Kindle-enabled stores to try it on before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverspear View Post
I also note that the amazon jp page mentions that PW-J comes with 2 Jap fonts. Maybe the PW-I only has 1 Jap font?
Well here's a book for non-Japanese PW owners to try it out on and report back! One font, or two?

The attachment is the public domain Japanese translation of Hans Christian Andersen's The Red Shoes in AZW3 format (Source text from Aozora Bunko, converted to ePub with rubi-formatting by an online tool, then converted to AZW3 by calibre.)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Akai Kutsu.azw3.zip (2.64 MB, 127 views)

Last edited by Snorkledorf; 11-22-2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:27 PM   #23
PharaohsVizier
Connoisseur
PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DXG, Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch
The North American Kindle Paperwhite has 2 fonts for Japanese as well. I connected it to the Japanese Amazon store just fine and bought two books, reconnected it to the US store again. For the books I bought I got two fonts, errr I hope I'm reading them right but I see myouchou and goshiku - gothic?.

Once connected, I also had access to the Japanese-Japanese dictionary and a bunch of other Asian dictionaries. Kind of disappointed there's no Japanese-English dictionary though, my Japanese is too crummy to make use of a J-J dictionary.
PharaohsVizier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:12 AM   #24
Snorkledorf

Minchou and Gothic, yeah. Those are the same two font styles on my Japanese PW. Good to know!

I'm still totally amazed that you can connect your device back and forth between one country's store and another's! I mean technically it makes sense but I always just assumed that Amazon would be like, "Ah HAH, you're trying to do some unknown sneaky thing!" and not let it happen. So again, cool!

And that's even more reason not to buy a Japanese Paperwhite if you're going for the 3G model, it seems to me. If all the same languages work, and you get access to the same dictionaries, and the only apparent hardware difference is the 3G (works in many countries, vs. only 1 country)...and on top of that you can connect your device to whatever store you like...then why buy the version that does less? With all that I'm literally not seeing any advantage the the Japanese 3G model at all.

There's no J-E dictionary on my device either, just E-J (which was set as the default English dictionary) and J-J (and 2 E-Es).

The image shows the 4 dictionaries I have with the Japanese PW, not counting Portuguese and such that I don't use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PW-J Dictionaries.png
Views:	221
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	96673  

Last edited by Snorkledorf; 11-23-2012 at 12:18 AM.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:14 AM   #25
PharaohsVizier
Connoisseur
PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DXG, Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch
Thanks for that. I had a tough time connecting to the Japanese store at first, since I tried using the same email and it defaulted back to my US account. However, using a different email for my US and Japanese accounts, I can switch back and forth pretty easily. Can't take advantage of whispersync when you log out though.
PharaohsVizier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:44 AM   #26
Snorkledorf

I was worried about not being able to use Whispersync when attached to the "wrong" store. My plan is to eventually take the books I buy on Store A and (once liberated) send them as personal docs to Store B, otherwise keeping my device linked to Store B the rest of the time so I have Whispersync access to everything. We'll see how that works, though.

Oh, and I found one advantage to buying the Japanese 3G PW: price!
US: $199 converts to ¥16,370
Japan: ¥12,980 converts to $157.80
(Japan doesn't sell them with special offers, so that's the more-expensive US price)

So the worldwide 3G support effectively costs you an extra $41.20.

I think Amazon is pricing their new Japanese Kindles unusually cheap in a bid to jump-start the Japanese ebook market; even the WiFi PW is $22 cheaper than the same model in the US. And this in the market where the Sony PRS-T1 was literally twice the US price. Amazon is using its favorite tactic of undercutting the competition, methinks...
Old 11-23-2012, 04:32 AM   #27
silverspear
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharaohsVizier View Post
Thanks for that. I had a tough time connecting to the Japanese store at first, since I tried using the same email and it defaulted back to my US account. However, using a different email for my US and Japanese accounts, I can switch back and forth pretty easily. Can't take advantage of whispersync when you log out though.
I have 2 accounts, one with the US and one with the UK Store. What I do for whispersync is this:

my default account on my KT is my US account. whenever I wanna buy a book from UK, I will switch acount on my KT, buy the book from the UK store, get it on my KT, extract it with calibre, and email it to my US account (US-me@kindle.com), so that it gets loaded onto my US account.

Hope I am making sense here.. =)
Old 11-23-2012, 04:35 AM   #28
silverspear
Connoisseur

Quote:
I was worried about not being able to use Whispersync when attached to the "wrong" store. My plan is to eventually take the books I buy on Store A and (once liberated) send them as personal docs to Store B, otherwise keeping my device linked to Store B the rest of the time so I have Whispersync access to everything. We'll see how that works, though.

(Japan doesn't sell them with special offers, so that's the more-expensive US price)

I think Amazon is pricing their new Japanese Kindles unusually cheap in a bid to jump-start the Japanese ebook market; even the WiFi PW is $22 cheaper than the same model in the US. And this in the market where the Sony PRS-T1 was literally twice the US price. Amazon is using its favorite tactic of undercutting the competition, methinks...
Yes, it's a little disappointing to find out that the PW-J 3G only supports Japan 3G reception. However I do think that this is a good strategy for them to save money and kind of offset the price cut for both PW in the japanese market..

I'm crossing my fingers that in the 1st week of December when I arrive in osaka, they will still have stock for the PW and the kobo glo in BIC camera!!
Old 11-24-2012, 07:57 PM   #29
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:

I don't think Sony is even on the radar (hard as that is to believe). Amazon is competing with Kobo and they dropped the price of the new PW to match the price of the Glo. So we all have a lot to thank Kobo for.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:52 PM   #30
silverspear
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
I don't think Sony is even on the radar (hard as that is to believe). Amazon is competing with Kobo and they dropped the price of the new PW to match the price of the Glo. So we all have a lot to thank Kobo for.
We are seeing a turning of the tide from Japan as the leader in electronics, back to the US being the leader.. and I think it's got alot to do with the smartphone evolution in the past 6-8 years. Thanks to Apple and Google leading the way.. and for the relevance of our discussion, it's amazon and kobo leading the way in the e-reader market.

It's sad to see Sony where it is now.. it used to be such a driving force in the music electronics industry and in the electronics industry as a whole.. maybe it's really time for Japanese companies to re-think how they are grooming their creative talent, and to re-think how they need to restructure their system to accomodate greater creativity.