Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-25-2012, 06:26 PM   #1
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
New Amazon CS Phone call about the PW color hue defect (rep says they know about it)

I'm starting a new thread for this so those who are interested hopefully won't miss this post.

Well, I received a call tonight from Andrew from Amazon Kindle CS. I'm wondering if it is the same Andrew xendula has been speaking with, I believe it is, as he also mentioned calling me back on Tuesday, same as he's been calling back xendula.

I had a pretty thorough chat with him. He said he understands I have been having ongoing problems with my PW's and that I was unhappy. I don't know if I mentioned it on here, but I also sent a letter to Amazon detailing all of my problems saying how frustrated and disappointed I was. This may be why he called.

He asked me the issues and I detailed them all out. He said they now have a solution for the color hue problem. I then said, so Amazon is aware of the color hue defect then? To which he said, yes we are, that is why I'm calling you.

He said we now have a solution and I'd really like to send you another replacement to correct the problem so you can be happy with it. I relayed my previous CS experiences saying I was guaranteed good replacements and so forth and he said, he understands, but the issue has now been corrected.

So hmmm... of course I said ok I'll give another one a try. I figure I may as well give it a try since he is at least admitting they know the problem exists and saying they have corrected it.

I did also mention the fact that I was told by a previous rep that I only had until Nov. 3rd to return all the replacements and he did state that was their policy, but they would make an exception in this case.

He said he will give me a follow up call on Tuesday at 3pm to see if I'm happy with the replacement.

Soooooo.... I guess we shall see. At least I feel I am finally getting somewhere. At the very least, it was a relief to have someone at Amazon directly tell me they are aware of the color hue problem.

Last edited by sparklemotion; 10-25-2012 at 06:35 PM.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:37 PM   #2
tmf2
Zealot
tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 Kindle PW
sparklemotion

Please keep us updated as to your newest replacement. I'm not going to risk another replacement.
tmf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:42 PM   #3
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll let everyone know. I don't blame you for not wanting to try again, believe me. However, I feel like with him calling me and admitting the defect, and telling me they now had a solution, plus that he would give me extra time to decide on returns, I felt I had nothing to lose. It doesn't really make sense to me how they have a solution now, unless they have a new batch of PW's. Either way, I'll keep everyone posted, of course.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:44 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

I hope you finally get a good one. 257th time is the charm, ehh!

However, I must say that I'm extremely skeptical about Andrew and Amazon's supposed fixed. Methinks their fix is to keep sending replacements your way until one finally works correctly. I hope I'm wrong.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:51 PM   #5
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Ha, yes. Believe me, I know it really makes no sense. I'm only too aware of that. I was just pleased to hear someone say to me directly they are aware of the color hue problem. I know it will likely be the same problem when I receive it, but I'm willing to try another one considering he assured me he would extend my return time. I'm hoping for at least no more specks. You know, I never realized what a crazy optimist I am until now. haha.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:52 PM   #6
tmf2
Zealot
tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

They'll keep sending replacements then hit one with a banned account, I can see that happening.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:53 PM   #7
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmf2 View Post
They'll keep sending replacements then hit one with a banned account, I can see that happening.
That actually crossed my mind, but hey are the ones calling me and offering to send them so they better not do that!
Old 10-25-2012, 07:18 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

How soon are they going to send you this replacement? Just curious if they already have them ready to go or if they need time to implement the alleged fix.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:21 PM   #9
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
How soon are they going to send you this replacement? Just curious if they already have them ready to go or if they need time to implement the alleged fix.
Right away. haha. Well Tuesday it's set to arrive. It hasn't shipped yet. I guess they have been working on this fix for a bit and they just got it ironed out. I'm curious if xendula received a call too as he's been telling xendula they don't have a solution yet... well apparently now they do!
Old 10-25-2012, 07:59 PM   #10
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Keep us posted, and post pictures, Sparkle! Did you end up emailing them, or did Andrew just call to follow up on the other missed call you had?
That does not sound like "my" CS Andrew, because "mine" always stays vague and never says they have a solution. He is supposed to call me tomorrow 8PM ET, so I'll see if by tomorrow, he'll say the same. Do you know if it's "Andrew R"?
I will also ask him tomorrow whether they admit to there being these issues, as I don't remember whether he ever owned up to it, and I will also try for replacements, although, as you guys, I am a bit scared that I may lose access to my many hundreds of books (again, I HAVE to make copies on an extrenal drive sometime soon, just in case). I would seriously consider it theft if I lost my books, since I don't have many paper books these days, so my entire library would be gone!!!
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:09 PM   #11
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

I will for sure follow up and post pics, xendula. It is Andrew R, yes. That's how the followup email is signed.

"Thank you for allowing us to work through this problem with you. I will follow up with you on Tuesday. Your replacement Kindle will be there soon.

Best regards,
Andrew R"

Maybe tomorrow he will tell you they have solution? I'll be very curious to hear if he tells you the same thing. If he doesn't, it will be pretty odd. He said he'll call me back Tuesday at 3 pm.

When you say you are afraid of losing your books, do you mean you're worried they might ban you for so many replacements? I thought about the banning issue, but honestly that would be pretty crazy. I mean they are contacting me and offering to resolve it for me. They are offering to send me another replacement. If they now turn around and ban me over the replacements, well, I'll throw the biggest fit imaginable, let's just say. I'm really not too concerned about it. That would be pretty twisted.

Frankly, I'm sure my replacement is going to have the color hues still, but I'm hoping for no specks this time. I guess I'll see how it goes.

Good luck with your call tomorrow. Let us know how it goes for you.

Oh sorry, I missed your first question. I'm not sure why they called me back again really. I have been complaining a lot via phone and I also included a lengthy letter with my last replacement so maybe that is why? I'm not sure really.

Last edited by sparklemotion; 10-25-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:16 PM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I wouldn't worry about being banned. That only happens on Refunds for High Dollar items not Kindle replacements. It really does sound like it's good news. I don't think he would of spoke of a solution if there isn't one. All til tonight we've heard they were working on it. Now we finally hear they have a fix. This makes me happy and gives me hope.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:21 PM   #13
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I wouldn't worry about being banned. That only happens on Refunds for High Dollar items not Kindle replacements. It really does sound like it's good news. I don't think he would of spoke of a solution if there isn't one. All til tonight we've heard they were working on it. Now we finally hear they have a fix. This makes me happy and gives me hope.
I really want to be hopeful too, Blossom, but it's hard to understand how they could have fixed it so quickly as it must be a hardware issue. Is it a new batch of PW's, I wonder. I wish I could feel more hopeful, but after so many replacements with the same problem, it's difficult. I said that to Andrew too.

On the positive side, it was good to hear someone say they were aware of the defect and it's nice that they are contacting people that are unhappy and attempting to get them a unit they are happy with. I guess we'll see what happens.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:30 PM   #14
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
I really want to be hopeful too, Blossom, but it's hard to understand how they could have fixed it so quickly as it must be a hardware issue. Is it a new batch of PW's, I wonder. I wish I could feel more hopeful, but after so many replacements with the same problem, it's difficult. I said that to Andrew too.

On the positive side, it was good to hear someone say they were aware of the defect and it's nice that they are contacting people that are unhappy and attempting to get them a unit they are happy with. I guess we'll see what happens.
More likely once they got the samples to the lab it didn't take them long to figure out the problem but had to contact the manufacturer in China and wait and see. After seeing a video of a PW taken apart I don't think it's the color of the LEDS that is the problem.

I am hopeful we have the fix before the Holidays but will Amazon put the new stock out for those who are buying new? That is the big question.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:34 PM   #15
tmf2
Zealot

I think if there was an actual fix they would be shouting it from the rooftops. I don't think they have a good track record of being forthright thus far concerning the Paperwhite. Twice CS insisted my screens would be perfect on my replacements as they would check them before shipping. Ya right. I hope I'm wrong.