I am using search function. 21 14.89%
I use shelves. 53 37.59%
I'd like to have collections. 13 9.22%
I don't need it. 59 41.84%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-25-2013, 04:35 PM   #121
theonna
One
theonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Sony, Kindle,Pocketbook, Nook...
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Your reasoning though is severely flawed. You will find a miniscule percentage of Kobo users even know about this forum
Obviously, you are correct about miniscule percentage of Kobo users that know about this forum, but the question is- would numbers provided by survey on this forum be representative enough of the wider range of Kobo users? And if not, which way the rest of the Kobo users would lean?
theonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:39 PM   #122
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The majority of Kobo users are those who side load no material and only buy books from Kobo.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2013, 05:04 PM   #123
theonna
One
theonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Sony, Kindle,Pocketbook, Nook...
Quote:
The majority of Kobo users are those who side load no material and only buy books from Kobo.
Not necessarily so, I had Kobo devices for years now and decided to post here just recently. Also there are people that would not consider buying Kobo if it would not have a file browser.
I do not have access to statistics about how many users of ereaders are actually buying content on their devices. I for one would appreciate a system, where consumer has ability to choose a content provider separately from their device.
theonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:55 PM   #124
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Well, loathe as I am to agree with Theonna on general principle(I'm kidding), I personally would not entertain even a momentary notion of buying an Ereader, or nearly any device, that restricted me to only buying through them or from it. You'll notice the glaring absence of i-anythings in my Device list...
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:59 PM   #125
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by theonna View Post
Obviously, you are correct about miniscule percentage of Kobo users that know about this forum, but the question is- would numbers provided by survey on this forum be representative enough of the wider range of Kobo users? And if not, which way the rest of the Kobo users would lean?
I imagine that most Kobo users wouldn't even know what a file manager is. I've worked with people that have used PC's for years without ever having to open the file manager in Windows!
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2013, 10:26 PM   #126
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by moffattm View Post
I imagine that most Kobo users wouldn't even know what a file manager is. I've worked with people that have used PC's for years without ever having to open the file manager in Windows!
In Windows it's called "Windows Explorer" and I find it hard to believe that anyone could use a Windows PC "for years" without using Windows Explorer.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:57 AM   #127
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
In Windows it's called "Windows Explorer" and I find it hard to believe that anyone could use a Windows PC "for years" without using Windows Explorer.

Luck;
Ken
You've never met my mother and sister.

They have both had Windows PC's for over 20 years and if you said open Windows Explorer they would just gawp at you.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:08 AM   #128
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
They have both had Windows PC's for over 20 years and if you said open Windows Explorer they would just gawp at you.
When I make a request like that, people usually open Internet Explorer.

Windows Explorer includes the Windows desktop, so it is literally impossible for people to use Windows without using Windows Explorer. Yet I have still found people who are limited to double clicking on icons to start a program or open a folder. Most of the people who I've worked with will be able delete, copy, and rename files as well as create folders when asked. Yet a good number of those people don't use Windows Explorer to organize their files on a regular basis.

So yeah, it's quite possible that most Kobo users won't know what a file manager is. That's becoming ever more true as software starts taking over the responsibility of managing files for the user.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:34 AM   #129
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
Most of the people who I've worked with will be able delete, copy, and rename files as well as create folders when asked. Yet a good number of those people don't use Windows Explorer to organize their files on a regular basis.
Quite so. I use Total Commander

(And Midnight Commander on my Linux boxes. And way, way back when, the granddaddy of them all: Norton Commander for DOS)
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:34 AM   #130
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Hmm... There are times when I am sure that MR is really an invention of Lewis Carroll. (I'm just not sure which one of you is the White Rabbit.)

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:51 AM   #131
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Go ask Alice...
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:19 AM   #132
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Go ask Alice...
Alice doesn't live here anymore...

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:50 PM   #133
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post

Luck;
Ken
Well one lady that I'm thinking of was in her late 50's and worked in a real estate office. They had special database software for handling all of their listings and that was the only program she ever used on the PC. She didn't have a PC at home and so didn't come into any other contact with computers.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:53 PM   #134
moffattm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
When I make a request like that, people usually open Internet Explorer.
Yup, I too have meet people that think that Windows Explorer is the same thing as Internet Explorer. If I ask them to start up Windows Explorer then I'm not surprised when they open IE!
Old 06-27-2013, 01:10 AM   #135
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Ken,

I think they're referring to people that really should be using Apple products rather than PCs. But, you do have to realise that a lot of people who use computers only use them in a very limited scope, Word, Excel, corporate apps, etc. Unless you're an enthusiast or your own IT department, or a home user of PCs a surprising number of people have no idea how to move files around or perform lower level tasks. It's really quite shocking when you come from a DOS background or have a technical background yourself.

I'm calling dibs on the Mad Hatter costume!
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote