Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-29-2009, 01:45 AM   #1
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Question No longer have split and code views

I am a beginner with Sigil and was working on a project then saved it as a .sgf file. But now when I open it, or any other saved .sgf file, the default view is the Book view and selecting split or code views results in no change. I also noticed that the file name on the top of the window title bar now displays .sgf* Regardless of what I've tried, exiting out of the app, restarting computer, I cannot get the split or code view back.

What did I do and how can this be corrected?

P.S. When importing from .txt files, which is the correct format to use - UTF-8, Unicode?

Thank you.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 01:56 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
this sounds like a question for valloric. my only suggestion is to make sure you have the latest version of sigil, and possibly "reinstall" the app (i know you don't really have to "install" sigil so much as unzip it, but just in case your installation got somehow corrupted...). i've never had the problem ; it always opens in book view for me, but the first thin i do is click on split view and it always shows up.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2009, 02:05 PM   #3
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
I am a beginner with Sigil and was working on a project then saved it as a .sgf file. But now when I open it, or any other saved .sgf file, the default view is the Book view and selecting split or code views results in no change. I also noticed that the file name on the top of the window title bar now displays .sgf* Regardless of what I've tried, exiting out of the app, restarting computer, I cannot get the split or code view back.
I cannot even imagine how could this happen.

You have probably corrupted Sigil or some files it depends on (DLL's or the like). It's the only thing I can think of.

That's the best I can give you without knowing what version of Sigil you are running, what platform you are using and more detailed information that can replicate this problem on other computers.

Quote:
P.S. When importing from .txt files, which is the correct format to use - UTF-8, Unicode?
For TXT files, you can use ASCII, UTF-8, UTF-16 or UTF-32. Works either way.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:13 PM   #4
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I was merely adding text to a project, as I had been for nearly an hour. Suspect is the file extension Sigil is displaying - .sgf*

How do I remove Sigil from my system in order to try a reinstall?

Many thanks for assistance.

P.S. Current version - 1.3 and WinXP Pro

Last edited by Skydog; 09-29-2009 at 02:15 PM. Reason: added p.s.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:47 PM   #5
Josch91
Reader
Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad
Perhaps I know the answer to the problem: (Paint )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	250.0 KB
ID:	36688   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	258.2 KB
ID:	36689   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	36690  
Josch91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2009, 09:55 PM   #6
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well, I was merely adding text to a project, as I had been for nearly an hour. Suspect is the file extension Sigil is displaying - .sgf*
There's nothing suspect about the extension. It's Sigil's native format.

Quote:
How do I remove Sigil from my system in order to try a reinstall?
Just delete the unzipped folder. Then download and unzip the latest version. Just in case, unzip it with WinRAR (it's free). Some people have reported problems unzipping with certain software that doesn't preserve the archived folder hierarchy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josch91 View Post
Perhaps I know the answer to the problem
That's actually the first thing I thought of, but he said the Code View doesn't show up, and that completely ignores the position of the splitter bar in Split View. It always appears.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:26 AM   #7
Skydog
Wizard

Valloric,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
There's nothing suspect about the extension. It's Sigil's native format.
My fault for not being more specific. The Sigil's file extension remained displayed, regardless of actual file type (i.e. epub) loaded.

Quote:
Just delete the unzipped folder. Then download and unzip the latest version. Just in case, unzip it with WinRAR (it's free). Some people have reported problems unzipping with certain software that doesn't preserve the archived folder hierarchy.
After several hours of trouble shooting, it became clear that the problem had to be within Windows. Following system boot up, it was confirmed when I attempted to open Sigil - my system went into a warm boot. Bad sign, but at least I discovered the culprit.

So... Sigil just happened to get caught in the middle of this. I decided the best action was to restore from a Ghosted image and start with a clean, known quantity. I'm sure all will be perfect with Sigil when reinstalled again.

Quote:
That's actually the first thing I thought of, but he said the Code View doesn't show up, and that completely ignores the position of the splitter bar in Split View. It always appears.
Well, I suppose that would be anyone's first reaction too, but I have been working with computers for 25 years, starting with CP/M and installing my own components so I'm not completely clueless.... just often baffled.

Thank you for your efforts with such a great application, Valloric. I very much appreciate your generous support.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:16 AM   #8
Valloric

Quote:
My fault for not being more specific. The Sigil's file extension remained displayed, regardless of actual file type (i.e. epub) loaded.
Wait, so you're saying that the title bar was showing only ".sgf*", with no filename in front of the extension? Regardless of what you loaded?

Quote:
So... Sigil just happened to get caught in the middle of this. I decided the best action was to restore from a Ghosted image and start with a clean, known quantity. I'm sure all will be perfect with Sigil when reinstalled again.
Do please tell us if this indeed fixes the problem.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:15 PM   #9
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
Wait, so you're saying that the title bar was showing only ".sgf*", with no filename in front of the extension? Regardless of what you loaded?
Yes, but I am 99.99% certain it was a symptom of my Windows corruption problem. There were additional symptoms with one or two other apps.

Quote:
Do please tell us if this indeed fixes the problem.
Absolutely, but it will be a while before I am back up and running.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:37 PM   #10
Valloric

Quote:
Yes, but I am 99.99% certain it was a symptom of my Windows corruption problem. There were additional symptoms with one or two other apps.
Then it really must be a problem with Windows. The only way you could see just ".sgf" in the titlebar was if something has gone horribly, horribly wrong with the system. It would mean Sigil was unable to get the filename of the file loaded... after it was successfully loaded. We're talking like 10 instructions later.

Normally I'd say that wasn't possible, but apparently...
Old 10-03-2009, 11:41 PM   #11
Skydog
Wizard

As I expected the problem was a Windows-related one. That explains the weirdness of Sigil and one other app. I've Ghosted back to a clean restore and all is normal again. Whew.

Thanks again for your replies.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:56 PM   #12
Skydog
Wizard

Same problem

Well, this is most frustrating. I've completed a complete restore of a clean WinXP Pro SP3 system and installed v0.1.4.

All was working normally while editing in Sigil. For a while, anyway. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong, but I am experiencing the same problem as I orginally posted above. I am now unable to see either a split view or code view when selected - it remains in book view. If I select split view, the window remains in book view, If I select code view, I get a blank gray window.

What the heck is going on here? Is there something I have done to cause the result??

I'm completely baffled!
Old 10-10-2009, 10:09 PM   #13
Valloric

Quote:
Well, this is most frustrating. I've completed a complete restore of a clean WinXP Pro SP3 system and installed v0.1.4.

All was working normally while editing in Sigil. For a while, anyway. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong, but I am experiencing the same problem as I orginally posted above. I am now unable to see either a split view or code view when selected - it remains in book view. If I select split view, the window remains in book view, If I select code view, I get a blank gray window.

What the heck is going on here? Is there something I have done to cause the result??

I'm completely baffled!
By "restore", do you mean System Restore, in Windows? That doesn't really work reliably for WinXP. AFAIK Microsoft only got it to a somewhat respectable state in Vista, but it's still best avoided.

Since you concluded that your system is to blame because of various other problems you were experiencing, I suggest saving your data and doing a clean disk format and Windows reinstall.

I honestly can't really imagine Sigil being the cause here. From your description of the problem, it seems the Code View widget either can't be created or can't be displayed. Both I'd say are impossible to do and have Sigil not crash on you. And apparently it worked for a while before flipping out? That doesn't make any sense...

To tell you the truth, this is sounding very much like a bad RAM problem. You could try running memtest86+ and see what it says.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:01 AM   #14
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
By "restore", do you mean System Restore, in Windows? That doesn't really work reliably for WinXP. AFAIK Microsoft only got it to a somewhat respectable state in Vista, but it's still best avoided.

Since you concluded that your system is to blame because of various other problems you were experiencing, I suggest saving your data and doing a clean disk format and Windows reinstall.

I honestly can't really imagine Sigil being the cause here. From your description of the problem, it seems the Code View widget either can't be created or can't be displayed. Both I'd say are impossible to do and have Sigil not crash on you. And apparently it worked for a while before flipping out? That doesn't make any sense...

To tell you the truth, this is sounding very much like a bad RAM problem. You could try running memtest86+ and see what it says.
Thanks, Valloric.

No - I don't do Win restores. All my systems are clean builds and Ghosted. I'm 100% certain the problem must be at my end and I am still troubleshooting. RAM is good. Quite possible that I have a bad/failing drive. It's simply coincidental that the quirks appeared while working with Sigil.

At any rate, I'll install on another system and go from there. Thank you for developing such a great application!
Old 10-20-2009, 07:05 PM   #15
richieadler
Fan of Sony readers
richieadler began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T2; Sony PRS-505
Quote:
I should add to the Skydog report: I have the same symptoms, with a clean Sigil install. I was never able to open a Code View; I get a grayed client area without edit fields. The toolbar buttons are also grayed.

richieadler is offline   Reply With Quote