Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-15-2009, 06:39 PM   #1
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Show us your desktop

I couldn't find a thread like this when I searched, so I thought I'd start one (if there is one, Mods, please delete this )

Here's mine at the moment:

EDIT: OS is Ubuntu 9.04, the dock at the bottom is called 'Docky' and it is part of gnome-do, an application that allows you call applications from a search-like box. You can find out about Ubuntu here: http://www.ubuntu.com/ and Gnome-do here: http://do.davebsd.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	34314  

Last edited by Moejoe; 08-15-2009 at 06:56 PM.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:44 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
One for propeller heads:

EDIT: this is a desktop I wrote myself, running on Gentoo linux. It's designed for uber-efficiency and no use of the mouse. Ugly as sin, but it's the secret of my productivity
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	desktop.png
Views:	497
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	34315  

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 08-15-2009 at 06:51 PM.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:46 PM   #3
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
One for propeller heads:
is it a magic-eye picture? Do I have to stare at it until the image appears?
Old 08-15-2009, 06:49 PM   #4
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Can you guys identify the OS as well? Moejoe's looks like Ubuntu with some kind of dock at the bottom, but I haven't a clue about Kovid's.
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:50 PM   #5
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe The Cat View Post
Can you guys identify the OS as well? Moejoe's looks like Ubuntu with some kind of dock at the bottom, but I haven't a clue about Kovid's.

Yes, Ubuntu 9.04 with Gnome-Do's Docky at the bottom (using it solved my Gimp multiple window problem).

Edit: added to first post as well

Last edited by Moejoe; 08-15-2009 at 06:55 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:52 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Sure, edited my post.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:57 PM   #7
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Most Cluttered Desktop

I trust I will win the Most Cluttered Desktop award - No fair tarting it up just for the picture!

Can anybody still recognise the background?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	260.5 KB
ID:	34318  
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:59 PM   #8
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
I trust I will win the Most Cluttered Desktop award - No fair tarting it up just for the picture!

Is it 2001: A Space Odyssey?
Old 08-15-2009, 07:00 PM   #9
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
I have dual monitors. The original screenshot showed both, making the picture too wide for the post. So, I cropped it to show you both left and right sides.

Here's the left side/main monitor. The O/S is Windows 7 RC. Sticky Notes and Weather Gadgets on the right monitor. This is the "nature" desktop theme that comes with..the desktop background changes every so often, depending on how you have it set, I think mine changes every half hour.

Here's the right monitor.

ETA: correct typo and add desktop theme name

Last edited by phenomshel; 08-15-2009 at 07:02 PM.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:05 PM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:

It burns! It burns!

I would guess the background shows the point where the space shuttle meets the space station.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:06 PM   #11
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Is it 2001: A Space Odyssey?
It can't be: the Canadarm is in the background ...
Old 08-15-2009, 07:07 PM   #12
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt

Quote:

Another Ubuntu user ...
Old 08-15-2009, 07:09 PM   #13
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt

Basic Kitty-Buntu ...

Last edited by Moe The Cat; 09-24-2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:11 PM   #14
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe The Cat View Post
Basic Kitty-Buntu ...
Cool, another 'buntu user. I wonder how many of us will be in this thread, someone should keep score on the OS's shown
Old 08-15-2009, 07:14 PM   #15
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt

I've got 3 Ubuntu's, 1 modified Gentoo and a lonely Windows 7 user ...