Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-04-2009, 10:39 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Technical Books aren't worthwhile on the Kindle

I'm in the process of getting another certification. One particular review guide was highly recommended, so I looked on Amazon to see how much it cost.

I immediately noticed that the title was available as a Kindle Edition for about $4 less than paper. Given the convenience of the Kindle, I decided to go with the Kindle Edition.

As soon as I bought it I opened it to the index, and paged through it. The ebook has all the sections of the paper book including a description of what was included on the CD. I didn't expect to get the CD, of course. But I thought it was rather funny that the CD contained not just practice tests. It also held a PDF copy of the review guide.

This is for publishers to ask themselves: What is the point of buying a Kindle Edition when I can get paper+PDF for $4 more?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:44 PM   #2
stevenmoy
Zealot
stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Instant gratification. =D
stevenmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:03 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenmoy View Post
Instant gratification. =D
That is important for some things, yes. But how often have you needed to get a technical manual this immediate second and not been able to borrow a copy from someone in the office?
Old 03-05-2009, 12:16 AM   #4
meglet
Enthusiast
meglet doesn't littermeglet doesn't littermeglet doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Because the PDF looks like crap when converted to Kindle?

As an example, my SQL MC-whatever certification guide is horrible to read on Kindle because there are so many tables, and I have not found a way to convert the PDF while keeping the tables readable yet.
meglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:30 AM   #5
KewlKid38
KewlKid38 began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iliad
The Techincal Manual with the paper and PDF version is the reason I'm getting into having an ebook reader. I've found that the paper editions are to much to carry around with me. I've found it easier to have an ebook as a reference if it's on the computer. I've loaded my work PC and My personal laptop that I do software development on with PDF copies of the books. I imagine that the ebook reader is easier to carry with me to work and home and I can read and take notes in the books and take up less real eastate then the PDF reader on the pc.
KewlKid38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:01 AM   #6
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Welcome KewlKid!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:14 AM   #7
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
So you can help Bezos reach his retirement goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post

This is for publishers to ask themselves: What is the point of buying a Kindle Edition when I can get paper+PDF for $4 more?
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:36 AM   #8
unrequited
Zealot
unrequited doesn't litterunrequited doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2 DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by meglet View Post
Because the PDF looks like crap when converted to Kindle?
I would beg to differ... still though, no PDF searching, but the quality issue isn't one anymore:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...486#post375486

Read the rest of the thread for the work that others have been doing for PDF-->Kindle conversion too, this was just my first attempt and I'm very happy with the results:

unrequited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 04:18 AM   #9
Wario
Connoisseur
Wario began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I don't really read any of these technical books. But wouldn't the new netbooks that are out be better then a ebook reader.
Wario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:21 AM   #10
Spectrum
Zealot
Spectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad 1 and iPad 4, KF HD 8.9"
Does anybody read tech books from beginning to end? I read only sections of interest to me mostly on computer screens.
Spectrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:25 AM   #11
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
I'm in the process of getting another certification. One particular review guide was highly recommended, so I looked on Amazon to see how much it cost.

I immediately noticed that the title was available as a Kindle Edition for about $4 less than paper. Given the convenience of the Kindle, I decided to go with the Kindle Edition.

As soon as I bought it I opened it to the index, and paged through it. The ebook has all the sections of the paper book including a description of what was included on the CD. I didn't expect to get the CD, of course. But I thought it was rather funny that the CD contained not just practice tests. It also held a PDF copy of the review guide.

Did you try this book on K1 or K2? I know you reviewed a K2 but I don't know if you purchased it.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:32 AM   #12
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Did you try this book on K1 or K2? I know you reviewed a K2 but I don't know if you purchased it.
I still only have the original Kindle.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:41 AM   #13
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
I still only have the original Kindle.
I just downloaded a sample of the book. I'm not a programmer but it looked good to me. I was able to zoom a chart and read it. And of course, my font size is bumped up.

Not sure why paper plus PDF would be better unless, you feel you need to flip pages back and forth often.

It's a big book. Save your back (unless you need it as part of your weight lifting workout).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:01 AM   #14
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I just downloaded a sample of the book. I'm not a programmer but it looked good to me. I was able to zoom a chart and read it. And of course, my font size is bumped up.

Not sure why paper plus PDF would be better unless, you feel you need to flip pages back and forth often.

It's a big book. Save your back (unless you need it as part of your weight lifting workout).

Perhaps I phrased that wrong. I should have said book+PDF+CD. The combination of the 3 is better than just the Kindle Edition.

I prefer the paper book to the Kindle because the Kindle's screen doesn't show enough text, nor does it turn the page fast enough.

And the weight of the paper copy doesn't really matter because I can carry the PDF instead.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:03 AM   #15
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I know where you're coming from Nate. I'd prefer to have all my books on the Kindle, but in my experience the Kindle just doesn't have a big enough screen to handle a lot of textbooks and technical manuals. Plus, you lose items like the CD and those practice tests are a pretty big thing to lose. My hope is that the rumored K3 will address the screen size issue, and maybe publishers can provide a website (password protected?) that will provide the practice tests and other material. It didn't sound like you were looking for any answers, but just wanted to vent some frustration. I just wanted to say, I hear you.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote