Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-30-2012, 12:12 PM   #1
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Nook HD reviews

Reviews for the Nook HD start showing up.

Here's the one from Engadget.

Please post others as you find them.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:10 PM   #2
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Another one here with some benchmarking, for those fond of that.

Quote:
Enduring longer than any tablet its size, the Nook HD lasted an epic 8 hours and 30 minutes on the LAPTOP Battery Test, which involves continuous surfing over Wi-Fi at 40 percent brightness. That time is an hour and a half longer than the 6:53 tablet category average and an hour longer than the Kindle Fire HD (7:30) and the Google Nexus 7 (7:26).
Quote:
Barnes & Noble's Nook HD is a strong choice among 7-inch media tablets. The device offers the sharpest screen and the longest-lasting battery in its class inside a design that's thinner and lighter than the Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire HD.However, despite making some strides, Barnes & Nobie's ecosystem simply isn't as robust as the competition.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:18 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
The Verge

Time

TechCrunch

cNet
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:35 PM   #4
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Reviews for the Nook HD start showing up.

Here's the one from Engadget.

Please post others as you find them.
I'm a bit disappointed by the low build quality.
It even shows on the pictures (two are attached) in the Engadget review:
The frame isn't glued evenly. There are some gaps between the frame and the housing.
Do all nook HDs have these gaps? If you know where to look, you see those gaps on most pictures in most reviews.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tmo0001dsc04685inline.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	96600   Click image for larger version

Name:	tmo0001dsc04683inline.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	96601  
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:41 PM   #5
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Another pic from a review, which clearly shows the gap between frame and housing.
I'm really surprised: Nook classic had been a real beauty. And the reviews of Nook HD in general are quite favorable.
Does no one care about such aesthetic flaws? I do: Once I've seen them, I can't forget about them.
I even gave back my HP Slate 2 because of similar gaps.
On HP Slate 2, there even was a potential risk of getting dust below the screen. I don't think, this can happen with Nook HD.
Still, very strange...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1553-gal_verge_super_wide.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	96602  
Old 11-21-2012, 06:06 PM   #6
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
I played with the Nook HD in store yesterday, the display quality is superb, but the physical design and build indeed look cheap.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:14 PM   #7
Kurt
Connoisseur
Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Nook HD+, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
My first nook color had this gap too - returned it for my current one - no "surprise" issues since then

I'm sorry (or glad) to read about the HD build quality - was leaning toward the HD+ for my self gifting christmas present - have to assume it would have the same problems

Last edited by Kurt; 11-30-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:42 PM   #8
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
My HD+ does not have this problem.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:40 AM   #9
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
My first nook color had this gap too - returned it for my current one - no "surprise" issues since then...
Strange!
I can understand (not accept, though) such problems for a single batch.
But for an entire range of products?
Quality controls obviously should identify such flaws...
I won't go through the hassle to send it back. From Germany to the US and back - not worth it. I knew about that risk, but I'm still quite surprised and a bit disappointed by B&N...
Old 12-23-2012, 07:22 PM   #10
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
My first nook color had this gap too - returned it for my current one - no "surprise" issues since then

I'm sorry (or glad) to read about the HD build quality - was leaning toward the HD+ for my self gifting christmas present - have to assume it would have the same problems
Nook HD+ is a different beast.
Build quality is fine.
But quite a few users did confirm my complaints about Nook HD.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:33 PM   #11
tarzanphan60
Enthusiast
tarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Nook Color, Tablet, HD, HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
I'm a bit disappointed by the low build quality.
It even shows on the pictures (two are attached) in the Engadget review:
The frame isn't glued evenly. There are some gaps between the frame and the housing.
Do all nook HDs have these gaps? If you know where to look, you see those gaps on most pictures in most reviews.
I haven't seen any of the gaps on my Nook HD or HD+. My biggest complaint is the junky cover for the SD Card.
tarzanphan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:11 PM   #12
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarzanphan60 View Post
I haven't seen any of the gaps on my Nook HD or HD+. My biggest complaint is the junky cover for the SD Card.
I don't have any gaps on the Nook HD+ either. Entirely different, way better build quality than Nook HD.

But quite a few others have confirmed the gaps on their Nook HDs. Not all of those people are bothered by those gaps, though.

I wanted to have a Nook, as I've got a few hundred B&N books from my Nook classic.
First, I went for the Nook HD, as for now I prefer 7" to the 9" or even 10" tablets.
But I was bothered that much by the gaps on Nook HD, that eventually I had to replace it by the Nook HD+.

I don't like the different designs of Nook HD and Nook HD+.
Same for Nexus 7" and Nexus 10".
I prefer, what Amazon has done with Kindle HD 7" and Kindle HD 8.9". Basically, it's the very same units, only difference obviously is size.

I'm fine with the Nook HD+ though on its own...