Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-13-2012, 07:05 PM   #31
Live2Read
Live2Read shares his or her toysLive2Read shares his or her toysLive2Read shares his or her toysLive2Read shares his or her toysLive2Read shares his or her toysLive2Read shares his or her toysLive2Read shares his or her toysLive2Read shares his or her toysLive2Read shares his or her toysLive2Read shares his or her toysLive2Read shares his or her toys

Device: Rooted Sony PRS-T1 w/ Alternate Home Screen; iPhone 4s (Audiobooks)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverDrive View Post
Hi Everyone-
We here at OverDrive are aware of the issue and our developers are working to correct it as soon as possible. Unfortunately, we do not have an estimated time of when it will be completed. Please check the following page for an update to OverDrive Media Console for Windows once an update is made available.
- http://www.overdrive.com/Software/omc/
Thank you for your patience. Please contact us again should you need any other assistance.
Brianne
Dear Overdrive - just wanted to point out that it has been 5 months since the above post. Any word yet on a fix? Thanks.
Live2Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:44 PM   #32
Buckeye_Reader
Buckeye_Reader began at the beginning.

Device: iPod touch
There is a new version of Overdrive out today but it has not fixed the problem.
Buckeye_Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:20 PM   #33
Live2Read
Live2Read shares his or her toysLive2Read shares his or her toysLive2Read shares his or her toysLive2Read shares his or her toysLive2Read shares his or her toysLive2Read shares his or her toysLive2Read shares his or her toysLive2Read shares his or her toysLive2Read shares his or her toysLive2Read shares his or her toysLive2Read shares his or her toys

A new version of the PC software, or the iPhone app?
Old 03-30-2012, 10:09 PM   #34
Buckeye_Reader

It's a new version of the PC software.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:13 PM   #35
Buckeye_Reader

I have found the solution! I used the help function from my libraries e-books section and I got a response from OMC. I just tried it and it works!

Here is my question and the response:

Prior to the iOS5 upgrade, I was able to download WMA files to my PC and then transfer them to my Apple device using the transfer wizard in OMC. OMC indicated that they are aware of the problem and plan to fix it with a newer version, but it has been three months and the problem has not been corrected. Do you know if they are even still planning a fix? thanks

Response:
We're sorry to hear that you are having trouble transferring OverDrive Media to your iPod. Please follow the steps below to transfer OverDrive titles to your iPod using the 'transfer' wizard in OverDrive Media Console.

1. Verify OverDrive Media Console v3.2.1.0 (or newer) is installed.

2. Verify iTunes v10.1 (or newer) is installed.

3. Check to see the Apple device is formatted for use with Microsoft Windows.

4. Enable the iTunes setting 'Manually manage music…'. To enable this setting please do the following:
* Connect the device to your computer.
* If it does not launch automatically, open iTunes
* In iTunes, locate the device in the left vertical navigation panel (under heading 'DEVICES'), and click the device. The 'Summary' screen is displayed.
* Place a checkmark next to option 'Manually manage music…'.
* Click the 'Apply' button. The iTunes 'Summary' screen refreshes, and your changes are saved.
* If desired, close iTunes.

5. Connect your portable player to your computer.

6. In OverDrive Media Console, highlight a title and click the 'Transfer' button. The Transfer Wizard is displayed.

7. Verify that the correct title is displayed on the first screen of the Transfer Wizard and click 'Next'.

8. In the 'Confirm' dialog box, select the Part(s) you want to transfer by checking the box(es) next to the Part name(s). Also, be sure to select your iPod's name from the 'Player' drop down menu.

9. Click 'Next' to begin transferring the file(s) to your device. When the transfer is complete, the Transfer Wizard displays a 'Success' message.

10. Click 'Finish' to exit the Transfer Wizard.

Once you have transferred a WMA audiobook to your device, a playlist will be created for the audiobook. Please note that WMA audiobooks will not be listed in 'Audiobooks' on your iOS device. You may need to take the following steps to move parts of the audiobook to your playlist:

1. Connect the device to your computer and run the iTunes application.

2. Under the 'Devices' sections, click the arrow to left of your device to expand the contents view. The list expands to display the 'Music' and 'Books' categories on your device.

3. Click on the 'Books' category under your device.

4. Drag the parts over to the playlist created for the audiobook, which is also located under your device name in iTunes.

5. Verify that the parts are in the correct order.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:58 PM   #36
Live2Read

Thanks, Buckey_Reader. I've seen those instructions before, but this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye_Reader View Post
Please note that WMA audiobooks will not be listed in 'Audiobooks' on your iOS device.
is the problem that needs solving (by Overdrive or iTunes, or both).

That said, sometimes some parts of the audiobooks DO appear in audiobooks of their own accord. And sometimes you can make the other parts go there simply by changing something in "Get Info" (for example adding the total number of parts in the "Track <#> of <#> field). And sometimes nothing works, they only appear in playlists, and you have to do this instead: https://discussions.apple.com/message/17583410#17583410

Anyway, I'll try downloading the Overdrive PC software again. The "check for updates" never says there is anything available...

Last edited by Live2Read; 04-06-2012 at 01:00 PM. Reason: poor punctuation. ;-)
Old 04-07-2012, 03:44 PM   #37
Live2Read

Hi again - What is the version number of the update you mentioned on 3/29? I uninstalled, redownloaded, and reinstalled, but my version number still says v3.2.1.0, which is what I've been using for ages. Thanks...
Old 05-17-2012, 10:02 PM   #38
JonathanStrange
JonathanStrange began at the beginning.

Device: Ipod Touch
I'm using on my PC: Overdrive Media v.3.2.2.0 and iTunes 10.6.1.7 (which are, apparently, the latest versions available). I have an iPod Touch 4g with v.5.1.1. software.

Despite a couple of updates on all of the above, the audiobook problems that began with iOS5 have not been resolved. I still have issues with greyed out books, partly greyed out books, books that appear on the iPod Touch but not on iTunes and vice versa, out of sequence books, missing information books, books that appear on playlists and in the Audiobook section.

Some solutions work sometimes - like deleting the greyed out books and transferring from ODM again, going to iTunes and adding missing Info, etc. - but I can't predict what will work or what will happen when ODM transfers to the Ipod. Except that if it's a WMA audiobook, it will take a loooong time. Some WMA transfers are fine. Just for variety.

I don't think the "problem" is getting better as before the recent updates it was mostly just having to use playlists for the audiobooks. Now it's missing chapters and greyed out sections. Although things are often workable if I fiddle around with iTunes or the iPod, I have to say it's definitely inconvenient and time-consuming.

And don't get me started about my music.

Fortunately I've another iPod Touch that I haven't upgraded to iOS5 and I use that with ODM. It's refreshing to see my titles in the Audiobook menu, in order, no missing sections, etc.
JonathanStrange is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobook, encoding, headdesk, itunes, overdrive