Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-20-2010, 05:34 AM   #1
minhxu
minhxu began at the beginning.

Device: none
The most comprehensive built-in dictionary

Hello,

So I need my reader to be cheap and have a built-in dictionary

- Cheap: the price should be under 150 USD. I'm a student, you know.

- Dictionary: I'm not a native English speaker so a dictionary is essential to me. And if I'm reading a book and not thoroughly understand a new word in it then I feel like I'm insulting the author somehow.

Besides those 2 points, I don't need wifi access, audio-supported, expandable memory or anything.

Any ideas or comments would be great

Thank you from Vietnam
minhxu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:44 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If your budget will stretch a little more, the Kindle has a pretty good built-in dictionary. So does the Sony PRS-600, but that may be out of your price range.

I don't know if the nook has a dictionary or not; perhaps someone else can advise on that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2010, 07:52 AM   #3
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If your budget will stretch a little more, the Kindle has a pretty good built-in dictionary. So does the Sony PRS-600, but that may be out of your price range.

I don't know if the nook has a dictionary or not; perhaps someone else can advise on that.
And the builtin dictionary on the Kindle can be replaced with any DRM-free(d) one, as long as it is in Mobi format. Or at least on the DX it can: I replaced the dictionary that came with my Kindle DXG (the New Oxford American Dictionary) with the Chambers I already had. No problem whatsoever.

So I agree with Harry: if you can spend a little more (or can get a refurb unit), the Kindle is probably your best bet.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:25 AM   #4
minhxu
minhxu began at the beginning.

Device: none
I have my eyes on the Jetbook Lite but its dictionary's not really good. May be I'll buy a used Kindle. That'll fit my budget and recycling is good, right. Thanks for the advice
minhxu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:29 PM   #5
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
I have both a Kindle and a Nook. The dictionary feature on the Kindle is so easy. The dictionary feature on the Nook is a little hard to figure out. The kindle is a superior product, IMO.
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert