Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-05-2013, 06:34 PM   #1
Geoffrey
Geoffrey began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle 3
Kindle 3 freezes/reboots infinitely

Out of warranty, was using unlighted Kindle 3 cover. I've tried it all--Hard reboots, Factory reset, even a successful Kubrick re-flash. No luck. The unit continuously freezes, then after some time reboots itself, works properly for about a minute, and then starts the process over and over until the battery is dead.

The only thing I haven't tried is replacing the battery. Its it worth it at $20-$30?

Amazon will only offer me refurb replacements which don't seem to be a great deal.

Thoughts?
Geoffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:37 PM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Geoffrey, what is the size of your archive? If it is huge, that could be causing the problem.

Can you get the Kindle started enough to where you can de-register it from your account? I had a K3 doing that, and de-registering it fixed it. I registered it to a new account. Never put it back on my main account, which at this time has well over 5000 items.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2013, 06:50 PM   #3
Geoffrey

Yes. I deregistered it once manually, but as you may know a Kubrick reflash wipes out everything including registration. The only items on it now are the Oxford Dictionary and the User Guide.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:51 PM   #4
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I purchased a rubber cover for my K3. It did the same thing til I took it off.....Any ideas on that?
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:52 PM   #5
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And it's still rebooting constantly....sounds like it is toast, in my non-expert opinion. I assume you left it to charge overnight and then tried to use it.
Advert
Old 05-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I purchased a rubber cover for my K3. It did the same thing til I took it off.....Any ideas on that?
One of those silicone covers? I have one and they are so full of static it reboots the Kindle. When I took mine off it has hundreds of static popping sounds and something inside the Kindle actually jumped! This was years ago and my K3 is still working. It's best to stay away from those on the K3.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:26 PM   #7
Geoffrey

Mine had the original Kindle 3 Cover with the metal tabs that slide and lock into the slots on the left edge of the unit. It has been said that these tabs, since they are metal, can short out the unit. Inside the lower slot is some circuitry that the LIGHTED version of the same cover draws it's power. I have removed this cover, but it hasn't improved the problem.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:33 PM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey View Post
Mine had the original Kindle 3 Cover with the metal tabs that slide and lock into the slots on the left edge of the unit. It has been said that these tabs, since they are metal, can short out the unit. Inside the lower slot is some circuitry that the LIGHTED version of the same cover draws it's power. I have removed this cover, but it hasn't improved the problem.
I'd ask in the Developer's forum. They might be able to tell you how to reflash the Kindle or other stuff that goes over my head to fix it.

It sounds to me like a corrupted file system or bad drive.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:33 PM   #9
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I'd ask in the Developer's forum. They might be able to tell you how to reflash the Kindle or other stuff that goes over my head to fix it.

It sounds to me like a corrupted file system or bad drive.
He already flashed it, so I think it's dead.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:14 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
He already flashed it, so I think it's dead.
Yeah sounds like it.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #11
Geoffrey

It's just bizarre that when it reboots itself, it functions normally for a minute or two. Then it freezes, and after a while reboots. I am wondering if this is a known symptom of a failed battery. The battery indicator shows full when I charge it, though I've noticed it never seems to achieve the green "fully charged" light. Also, when it is in that 1-2 minutes of functionality, I can access the unit's storage with my PC.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:39 PM   #12
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey View Post
It's just bizarre that when it reboots itself, it functions normally for a minute or two. Then it freezes, and after a while reboots. I am wondering if this is a known symptom of a failed battery. The battery indicator shows full when I charge it, though I've noticed it never seems to achieve the green "fully charged" light. Also, when it is in that 1-2 minutes of functionality, I can access the unit's storage with my PC.
It could also be a physical RAM (more likely) or MMC (less likely) defect. Anyway, you seem to have tried pretty much everything to make sure that it's not a software issue, so my guess is that some part of the hardware is failing.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:29 AM   #13
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
One of those silicone covers? I have one and they are so full of static it reboots the Kindle. When I took mine off it has hundreds of static popping sounds and something inside the Kindle actually jumped! This was years ago and my K3 is still working. It's best to stay away from those on the K3.
Do you mean a silicone cover (like this?). That's what I have on mine and I've never had any problems with static & the Kindle rebooting. Had it in that cover for a couple of years and it's been fine, my Mum uses one too. Not sure how it will effect some Kindle's and not others? But obviously if it freezes/reboots when you have it in one, you are right, don't use it!
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:27 AM   #14
theinfiniti
theinfiniti knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'theinfiniti knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'theinfiniti knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'theinfiniti knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'theinfiniti knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'theinfiniti knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'theinfiniti knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'theinfiniti knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'theinfiniti knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'theinfiniti knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'theinfiniti knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: K3 Keyboard
I'd like to jump in, I have the same issue. I have not tried anything. What would be a good course of action?
theinfiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:55 PM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Do you mean a silicone cover (like this?). That's what I have on mine and I've never had any problems with static & the Kindle rebooting. Had it in that cover for a couple of years and it's been fine, my Mum uses one too. Not sure how it will effect some Kindle's and not others? But obviously if it freezes/reboots when you have it in one, you are right, don't use it!
Yes that's exactly what I mean. It's all about location. Static Electricity is all about how dry the air is where you live. Here is can be pretty bad. My blankets crackle at night all year long. So if you have one and no problems you probably live in a place where static doesn't build up bad like it does here.

Tags
battery, firmware 3.4, freeze, kindle 3, reboot