Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-05-2012, 06:14 PM   #16
fartang
fartang began at the beginning.

Device: none
@Doitsu: Exactly the same problem here, D&D works fine with other programs, used to work fine with Calibre until a month or two ago, and now does not work with Calibre. Can you tell what firewall you are referring to and how can I disable it? Thanks
fartang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:17 AM   #17
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by fartang View Post
@Doitsu: Exactly the same problem here, D&D works fine with other programs, used to work fine with Calibre until a month or two ago, and now does not work with Calibre. Can you tell what firewall you are referring to and how can I disable it? Thanks
@fartang

You shouldn't have to disable a firewall, but you might need to configure it to 'trust' Calibre. Calibre accesses the net quite a lot, e.g. it chats to this site to see if there are any plug-in updates.

What firewall do you use on each of your two computers - same one or different one. Do you run any other gadgets - like anti-loggers (e.g. PerfectGuard) or internet gate-keepers (e.g. App-Blocker)

I run the Zemana anti-logger, and I have to retrain it every week when I install new Calibre, it only takes a second - so doesn't bother me.

I also run the MS firewall on Win7, I used Comodo on XP. The added value Comodo gives on Win7 is marginal and for me its not worth the overhead.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2012, 01:07 PM   #18
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fartang View Post
Can you tell what firewall you are referring to and how can I disable it? Thanks
I use Commodo and simply temporarily changed the Firewall Security Level to Disabled and restarted Calibre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
You shouldn't have to disable a firewall, but you might need to configure it to 'trust' Calibre. Calibre accesses the net quite a lot, e.g. it chats to this site to see if there are any plug-in updates.
In theory, yes, but for some reason it doesn't work. For example, Calibre can access the Internet to get metadata, but drag and drop still doesn't work.
Since I don't have drag and drop problems with other programs, I strongly suspect that there's something wrong with Calibre's Windows drag & drop code.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:38 PM   #19
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Since I don't have drag and drop problems with other programs, I strongly suspect that there's something wrong with Calibre's Windows drag & drop code.
The converse could also be true, since every other firewall out there does not inhibit calibre's drag and drop process, I strongly suspect that there's something wrong with Commodo's code.

Kudos for providing help with this issue.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:55 AM   #20
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
The converse could also be true, since every other firewall out there does not inhibit calibre's drag and drop process, I strongly suspect that there's something wrong with Commodo's code.
That is definitely a strong possibility, however, IIRC, there are several different ways to implement drag & drop event handlers in Windows apps and since Comodo Firewall doesn't block drag & drop in other third party programs, it stands to reason that the drag & drop implementation in the Windows version of Calibre might not be robust enough.

Therefore the following questions remain:
1. Was there a significant change in the drag & drop event handler code and/or the shell extension code in the Windows version of Calibre in this year?
2. Does Calibre use a non-standard method to implement drag & drop that might fail under certain circumstances?
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2012, 05:30 AM   #21
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The drag and drop event is never reaching calibre code. And event handling in calibre is done by Qt toolkit, I highly doubt the Qt toolkit uses a non robust D7D implementation, since it is the basis of a large number of windows programs.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote