Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #3001
laura99
laura99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Hi - after finding out about the SS hack that lets you see the cover of the book you are reading, I right away paid to have the ads removed on my NT! Its been a bit over a week since I did that and installed the hack. Earlier today I turned on the wifi to get some new books. I notice now that the ads are back!.

I am sure that I need to call CS, but just wondered if its going to be a problem with them that I have the hack installed, or should I even mention it.

Thanks to all that make these hacks possible!
laura99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:03 PM   #3002
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by laura99 View Post
Hi - after finding out about the SS hack that lets you see the cover of the book you are reading, I right away paid to have the ads removed on my NT! Its been a bit over a week since I did that and installed the hack. Earlier today I turned on the wifi to get some new books. I notice now that the ads are back!.

I am sure that I need to call CS, but just wondered if its going to be a problem with them that I have the hack installed, or should I even mention it.

Thanks to all that make these hacks possible!
Just don't mention it.
Amazon seems to be having trouble killing their own ads - you are not the first to report this type of problem - just call'm back.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #3003
laura99
laura99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Just don't mention it.
Amazon seems to be having trouble killing their own ads - you are not the first to report this type of problem - just call'm back.
Thanks, I'll do that.
laura99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:18 AM   #3004
henriquemaia
Ignorant of many things
henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I've reset my kindle 3w (B008) to factory defaults, updated to 3.4 firmware, tried to jailbreak with the correct file, correct md5sum, and I always get the U006 error while updating. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your help.

edit: I've checked the md5sum on the file on the kindle, to make sure I had no usb transfer problem.

Last edited by henriquemaia; 02-24-2013 at 10:21 AM.
henriquemaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:34 AM   #3005
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by henriquemaia View Post
I've reset my kindle 3w (B008) to factory defaults, updated to 3.4 firmware, tried to jailbreak with the correct file, correct md5sum, and I always get the U006 error while updating. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your help.

edit: I've checked the md5sum on the file on the kindle, to make sure I had no usb transfer problem.
Do you have any of our packages installed or made any changes to system files?

(hmm... you must have - maybe you just forgot)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:36 AM   #3006
henriquemaia
Ignorant of many things
henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Do you have any of our packages installed or made any changes to system files?

(hmm... you must have - maybe you just forgot)
Most probably, but I reset it to factory defaults. Doesn't that revert everything to its original state?

I also had errors while updating to 3.4 on my 3.3 jailbroken kindle. But it updated fine when I reset it.

edit:
As for now it's clean in its [apparently] factory state.

SOLVED:
It was still jailbroken. I didn't know that, probably because I didn't RTFM.
I'm double dumb for not paying enough attention on the first runs to the feedback messages kindle provides.

Last edited by henriquemaia; 02-24-2013 at 11:02 AM.
henriquemaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:00 AM   #3007
Polly7
Ebook/Ereader Lover
Polly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura about

Device: K4B
Hi there,
Have just installed the font hack on my kindle4b, running fw 4.1.1, have followed the instructions to the letter, and still get the default hack fonts, with mine not appearing. They are all named properly, so I don't know what else to do. i use mac OSx as my operating system. PLEASE HELP!!!
Polly7
Polly7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:26 PM   #3008
Drewfus2101
Drewfus2101 began at the beginning.

Device: K3
Hey guys, I'm having some problems with the SS hack.

I just updated the firmware to 3.4 (K3). Before I updated, I removed the SS hack and jailbreak from my K3. Then updated to FW 3.4, installed the latest jailbreak, python and SS hack.

I'm trying to use the 'cover' feature. So I copied a file, and renamed it 'cover'. After restarting the K3, I still have the old SSs. So I reinstalled the SS hack, and now I'm just getting a white screen when I turn the K3 off.

BTW, I'm using Calibre to load the books. Do I need to transfer the cover images with a plug-in?
Drewfus2101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:27 PM   #3009
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewfus2101 View Post
Hey guys, I'm having some problems with the SS hack.

I just updated the firmware to 3.4 (K3). Before I updated, I removed the SS hack and jailbreak from my K3. Then updated to FW 3.4, installed the latest jailbreak, python and SS hack.

I'm trying to use the 'cover' feature. So I copied a file, and renamed it 'cover'. After restarting the K3, I still have the old SSs. So I reinstalled the SS hack, and now I'm just getting a white screen when I turn the K3 off.

BTW, I'm using Calibre to load the books. Do I need to transfer the cover images with a plug-in?
on the last point NO. the rest I am not sure.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:32 PM   #3010
Drewfus2101

Thanks for the reply twobob. By the time I got done typing that, I looked over and the 'cover' feature was working.

I just dropped the 'black' file in the folder, so I'll see if it gets rid of the white bars.

If this sticks, I'm going to be so pleased. As long as I've had this K3, I've wanted it to show the cover of the book being read. To me, it makes it feel much more like a real book.

Thanks a ton to everyone who has been providing tips in this thread, and mostly to NiLuJe for all your hard work.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:40 PM   #3011
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

yeah... I can tell you why..

On the older devices (I originally tested that for Niluje on a DX) the cover creation is actually done AT BOOK OPEN...(AND ALSO BOOK CLOSE IIRC) thus if you don't read the book for a few pages... it won't have time to make the cover...

(it uses python and imagemagick IIRC)

hope that makes it nice and clear.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:22 AM   #3012
Drewfus2101

Everything is working great!! Thanks again to everyone who helped out.

I even got the new fonts installed, and I like the changes. All of the changes were super simple and easy to do.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:49 AM   #3013
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewfus2101 View Post
Everything is working great!! Thanks again to everyone who helped out.

I even got the new fonts installed, and I like the changes. All of the changes were super simple and easy to do.
ah cool. Thanks for the nice feedback
Old 02-28-2013, 08:56 PM   #3014
sabik13
sabik13 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Hello I'm using the Kindle Keyboard WIFI and I jailbroke it and did the following font hack but it still doesn't appear in Typeface
sabik13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:04 PM   #3015
twobob

possibly a non-supported font?

more detail please

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet