Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you plan on modyfing Kindle Fire's software in any way (rooting, sideloading etc)?
Yes, I love freedom to tinker 56 46.28%
No, I love the walled garden 65 53.72%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-24-2011, 01:04 AM   #31
standman
Enthusiast
standman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.standman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.standman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.standman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.standman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.standman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.standman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.standman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.standman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.standman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.standman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge, Kindle Fire, HTC Evo
I think I'm gunna stick it out. I havent ran into issues and I want it supported if I have issues. The last two tablet I have owned both went out of business.
standman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 11:12 AM   #32
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Ok, I guess I should change my vote. My wife asked me if she could get the android market, and I took the rooting plunge. My first attempt almost ended in disaster and frustration, but my second attempt (on a different computer) worked without issue.

I rooted, installed the Market, installed an alternate launcher from the Amazon App Store (Go Launcher was removed, but Claystone was there), signed in to google, and promptly unrooted.

Everything is running fine, and she is sticking with the default KF launcher, and only switching over to Claystone for Market access.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 11:34 AM   #33
MarkY
MarkY began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post

I rooted, installed the Market, installed an alternate launcher from the Amazon App Store (Go Launcher was removed, but Claystone was there), signed in to google, and promptly unrooted.
Two questions.....
- Have you checked to see if you can stream video from Amazon since you have un-rooted?

- What root procedure did you use?

I'm thinking of doing this for the very reason you have.
MarkY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 01:17 PM   #34
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
Two questions.....
- Have you checked to see if you can stream video from Amazon since you have un-rooted?

- What root procedure did you use?

I'm thinking of doing this for the very reason you have.
Yes, I checked video when it was rooted (not working) and after unrooting (working great).

I followed the root procedure posted on kindlefirewire.com
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 01:35 PM   #35
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I plan to buy one in the near future. I didn't root when I owned the NC for a short time and I never messed with my SGT so......
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 01:08 AM   #36
Merischino
Groupie
Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Pixel 2, Kindle Fire HD 8
I managed to install several alternate markets (Gerhard, 1mobile, Soc.io mall, others recommended on the apps thread) without having to root the fire. They work, i have access to thousands of free apps i can easily uninstall if they don't work properly, and the really great thing is 1mobile sends you the automatic update notifications for all your sideloaded apps.

I literally haven't found a need to root it. I have spent no less time in man hours on customizing my experience this first week than i did/do every time i update my ios on my Iphone, but the really FABULOUS thing is not having to rip apart the fabric of the os just to have some access to needs/choices the stock os has not addressed yet. Its basically given me the option to exercise my right to "vote" on what i think amazon should address in their update spanning process.
Merischino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 01:10 PM   #37
74Cuda
MaxPuppy Rules
74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 8.9 HDX Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire HD, Acer A200
I am not going to root mine. I really don't see any point to it. I think there are going to be software updates that will take care of most things and I know there will be more apps available in the future.
74Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 03:19 PM   #38
lear2003
htdtfbufuubfyipeeeeee
lear2003 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire
can anybody help me, i am using a kindle fire in the UK so i don't have access to amazon appstore, i read talk of side loading can someone please help a newbee by explaining what to do to get android apps.
lear2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 03:26 PM   #39
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by lear2003 View Post
can anybody help me, i am using a kindle fire in the UK so i don't have access to amazon appstore, i read talk of side loading can someone please help a newbee by explaining what to do to get android apps.
See this thread here for lots of tutorials and tips, including how to sideload apps. This thread has links to places that have the apps for download straight to your PC.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 03:29 PM   #40
lear2003
htdtfbufuubfyipeeeeee

thank you Blossom x
Old 11-26-2011, 04:14 PM   #41
MarkY
MarkY began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
The reason I'm thinking of rooting is to use AdFree. I'm not a fan of ads showing up in some applications.
MarkY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 04:27 PM   #42
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by 74Cuda View Post
I am not going to root mine. I really don't see any point to it. I think there are going to be software updates that will take care of most things and I know there will be more apps available in the future.
Of course one would need a reason to root. It would be silly to go through the process without having a specific objective that required rooting.

One common objective is to install the Android Market, and thus gain access to all the apps available for Android. There are many other reasons. If these are not compelling, which I can understand they may not be to some people, then there is no reason at all to root.

Last edited by ectoplasm; 11-26-2011 at 04:29 PM.
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 04:33 PM   #43
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
For most, this wise old saying fits! "If it ain't broke, dont fix it"

DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 03:07 AM   #44
greencat
Freebie finder
greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony, Kindle
I probably won't root mine for a while - if at all. Even as a non-US user it seems useful enough. I can transfer all kinds of books via Calibre and installing non-Amazon app store apps seems simple enough.
greencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:40 AM   #45
lear2003
htdtfbufuubfyipeeeeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencat View Post
I probably won't root mine for a while - if at all. Even as a non-US user it seems useful enough. I can transfer all kinds of books via Calibre and installing non-Amazon app store apps seems simple enough.
Greencat, installing non amazon app store apps seems simple enough, i live in the UK and i've spent 5 days trying perhaps you could help.

Tags
fire, kindle, root