Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 07-30-2010, 03:48 AM   #1
Dutch Reader
Dutch Reader began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 302
PB302 and sunlight

Hi you all,

Can any of you help me out and let me know how your readers hold up when reading in direct sunlight? Do the letters fade at all?

I've sent my PB302 back because of technical problems, one of which concerned reading in the sun. When I used my reader in the sun the letters faded with each page I turned. I don't know if any loss of contrast is normal and to what extent. Anybody here know?

Thanks in advance!
Dutch Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:42 AM   #2
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
It is a technical problem, of unknown origin, which has affected many brands. I've heard of Jinke, Sony, Pocketbook and other brands with the same problem. It seems to be something of the screens themselves, a manufacturing defect.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2010, 05:58 AM   #3
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
E-ink displays do not fade in direct sunlight.
If display fades it means it is faulty and will be replaced under warranty.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:44 PM   #4
tvpupsik
Addict
tvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enough

Device: PB 360, PB 602, PB IQ
Some details in addition to what Logseman and kacir already said.
After a research for a similar issue some of my clients had, I came to know that the producer of E-Ink screens (PVI who makes screens for many ereaders brands) confirmed that about 2% of all screens are fading while reading in the sunshine. If you have a screen fading it should be replaced under warranty.
The problem is supposed to be solved by manufacture in mass production starting next month.
tvpupsik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:10 PM   #5
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
Anyone know who/where in Canada to return devices with this issue then? Noticed it happening on mine over the last week...in hot sun, as the case heats up, the screen starts to fade out in areas.
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2010, 02:52 PM   #6
brainycat
PocketBook 302 FTW!
brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 302, upgraded from PRS-600
I just noticed my screen fading for the first time a couple of days ago. I usually sit in the shade, but as I was walking to the mailbox and back the screen faded.

Not sure I can part with my beloved PB302 long enough for a replacement though. Since I just noticed the problem after having it for a few months, I think I'll hang onto it.

Besides, we only have 3 months of sunny weather a year in Seattle anyway
brainycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 03:59 PM   #7
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
Mine only happens after a fair chunk of time in direct warm sun...the case itself becomes warm too...

I'm not sure if I want to part with mine either....withdrawal?
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 04:38 PM   #8
JimMcLaren
Addict
JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook 302, Pocketbook 912, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainycat View Post
Not sure I can part with my beloved PB302 long enough for a replacement though. Since I just noticed the problem after having it for a few months, I think I'll hang onto it.
I'm in the same boat. Noticed the fading on page turn while spending a week at the beach earlier this month. Don't think I want to go without the device for a couple of weeks though. So I'll live with it.
Quote:
Besides, we only have 3 months of sunny weather a year in Seattle anyway
I thought it was more like 3 weeks.
JimMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:32 AM   #9
Dutch Reader
Dutch Reader began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 302
Thank you for your responses! I'm going to receive a new reader. Good service ofcourse and I'm happy to get a new one.

However, I miss my reader so much!
Dutch Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 04:31 PM   #10
Ulli
(-:
Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.

Device: PocketBook 360°,302
Its an problem of the eInk screens, some got it some doesnt.
Ulli is offline   Reply With Quote