Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-17-2013, 03:11 PM   #1
crdf
Connoisseur
crdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Touch
Sending a document WITH the notes?

I am doing beta reading on a book script and I want to send the file back WITH the notes.

Not sure why the kindle converted the mobi to AZW3, but there are 3 files with that name.
- One is the book in AZW3 format
- the other two are in a folder which name ends with .sdr. The files are with the same AZW3 extension but one is 1kb and the other 4kb.
- and there is the clippings file

Can someone advise how can I do that. I think it will be much better and less confusing if the author can see my notes IN the text. Would simply sending the book in the AZW3 format work?

Thank you.
crdf

P.s. I've asked the question on Amazon as well. Will post here if there is an answer to it that answers my question.
crdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:34 AM   #2
crdf
Connoisseur
crdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animals

SO does no one has any idea or it simply can't be done
Advert
Old 08-18-2013, 12:50 PM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crdf View Post
SO does no one has any idea or it simply can't be done
I must admit that I've no idea where Kindles store the notes, but it won't be in the book file (and you can double-check by looking at the file's modification date and exact size), so it'll either be on Amazon servers or (much more likely) in some of the ancillary files that are created on the kindle.

Sorry I can't help further.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:00 PM   #4
crdf
Connoisseur

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I must admit that I've no idea where Kindles store the notes, but it won't be in the book file (and you can double-check by looking at the file's modification date and exact size), so it'll either be on Amazon servers or (much more likely) in some of the ancillary files that are created on the kindle.

Sorry I can't help further.
Thank you for trying.

Unfortunately highlights are kept on Amazon only for books purchased from the store. All other files are considered documents and I guess it doesn't pay to use storage space for document highlights that have not been payed for trough their purchase system.

I have just send the my clippings file and I hope that will do. I will hear soon from the author and will post here if that worked. He probably just needs to either override his clippings file or copy-paste the info in it.

Hopefully he will answer this.
Otherwise I have requested this at Amazon but still have no answer. To be honest I would like to be able to see the notes integrated in the file [maybe as a setting where you can opt in and out], so that I can open the file in Calibre or other program and work on those notes. Yes I can do that in the clipping file but it would just be very neat if I can do that from the file.

Last edited by crdf; 08-18-2013 at 05:13 PM. Reason: deleting zest message
Old 08-18-2013, 02:54 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Why don't you just grab the file and folders and send it all in a zip file? Assuming there's no DRM issues whoever gets the files should be able to use their Kindle to see the annotations.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2013, 05:11 PM   #6
crdf
Connoisseur

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Why don't you just grab the file and folders and send it all in a zip file? Assuming there's no DRM issues whoever gets the files should be able to use their Kindle to see the annotations.
That is what I did. I hope it works. I have no idea if it will since I have no way of trying this. I own only one device. I don't need to be transferring anything trough Amazon. I just simply want to know to do what I request.

Last edited by crdf; 08-18-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:53 AM   #7
crdf
Connoisseur

It turns out the clippings file is very difficult to read. I'm not sure if the person uses a different reader, or reads them on a computer only.

I would really love a way to do that. I think there much more people exchanging notes the it is obvious, and it will be getting more and more, since authors are looking for more and more readers opinions now when it is so much easier to transfer books electronically.

I ha suggested a plug-in for Calibre that implements notes in the book file or at least one that reads the my clippings file and displays them in the book. I would love to hrear what others think about that and if it is possible to be done.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:18 AM   #8
Vroo
Zealot
Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of Kindles, PocketBook HD3/InkpadX, inkBOOK, Kobo
Well, on older Kindles (Keyboard, NT) notes were stored in the .mbp file - so they could be copied to computer and read on Kindle for PC. Paperwhite and Touch have new method of storing notes and I'm afraid no one has decomposed contents of .sdr folder...
Vroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:05 PM   #9
crdf
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroo View Post
Well, on older Kindles (Keyboard, NT) notes were stored in the .mbp file - so they could be copied to computer and read on Kindle for PC. Paperwhite and Touch have new method of storing notes and I'm afraid no one has decomposed contents of .sdr folder...
Thank you for the reply and explaining this to me.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:12 PM   #10
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
The Paperwhite still uses the mbp file, which is where the notes and highlights are saved. But your best bet is to either use the My Clippings file or use the Kindle for PC or Kindle for Mac to read and save your notes. Getting the mbp file from there is easier than using the Paperwhite. If you are going to go the method of using the My Clippings file, the new notes are stored at the bottom, so as long as the book is named something relevant, it is easy to find the notes and all you want. You could always empty it out or just rename it to something else and a new one will be created, which should make it easier to find the notes you are looking for.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:36 PM   #11
crdf
Connoisseur

Quote:
The Paperwhite still uses the mbp file, which is where the notes and highlights are saved. But your best bet is to either use the My Clippings file or use the Kindle for PC or Kindle for Mac to read and save your notes.
I will try that, I might be able to transfer those notes there.
Thank you