Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-22-2012, 11:58 AM   #151
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
I don't think that the backplane is necessary for the functionality of the display.
it most certainly is. the TFT backplane is what actually drives the screen pixels. it is not an active matrix display without it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active-...rystal_display

http://www.parc.com/publication/2013...ltage-tft.html

note- eink is electrophoretic material

the flashing circle animated material is not an ACTIVE Matrix display. its an example of their passive matrix Segemented display material now using the "SURF" branding. it does not have a TFT backplane. It will only ever show that flashing circle bit. it cannot, for example, be fed a book page and display it.

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 01-22-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:52 AM   #152
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
the flashing circle animated material is not an ACTIVE Matrix display. its an example of their passive matrix Segemented display material now using the "SURF" branding. it does not have a TFT backplane. It will only ever show that flashing circle bit. it cannot, for example, be fed a book page and display it.
So they could use this for posters or brochures but not for readers?
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2012, 08:00 AM   #153
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
So they could use this for posters or brochures but not for readers?
To switch between white and black requires an applied electric field. That's what the backplane does.

The electric fields are applied by having electrodes controlled by the display controller electronics. These electrodes can be large fixed areas (like in the video you linked to), or they can be small square dots in a grid (like the 600x800 grid in most 6" eInk screens).

It's possible to use either with either plastic, foil or glass substrate, but glass substrates are easier for the pixel grids, because they're not so liable to deformation.

Several companies are working on making eInk displays without glass substrates Hopefully they'll find a economical way to make them in volume, and ereader screens will become more robust.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:08 AM   #154
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
yes sil_lis or for information displays

Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:29 PM   #155
Koda
Connoisseur
Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.

Device: 13" E-ink reader
It's not e-ink but someone is looking (again) in the right direction:
http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/4478...tures-hands-on
Too bad it will end as another vaporware (let's hope not)
Koda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2012, 02:15 PM   #156
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
I think there is a certain possibility this will not be vaporware. I remember seeing something similar when I was in Japan a few months ago, if memory serves it was called Galapagos, a huge screen but very very proprietary, the core reason for its lack og success. It was fantastic for reading Manga and that is why I believe some of the Japanese makers, be it Sony, Toshiba, Matsushita (National&Panasonic) or Sharp (Galapagos maker), will launch a large screen tablet. However, don't expect it to be e-Ink unless it comes with saturated color screen and fast refresh rates. The Japanese makers sees it primarily as a device for reading Manga and if a maker can close a deal with Shogakukan or similar large scale Manga publishing house there will be a device available.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:27 PM   #157
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Good for displays that don't need rapid refreshing. Advertising signs in stores, airport arrival/departure signs and so on. Billboard size might even be possible.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:20 PM   #158
Koda
Connoisseur
Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.

13.3" Toshiba being marketed?
http://android.digital.it/toshiba-at...ici-12950.html
Old 03-22-2012, 02:26 PM   #159
mSSM
Connoisseur? Addict!
mSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with others

Device: Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koda View Post
Even if, this is nothing that special. For instance, there are plenty of business-grade tablet notebook out there. For instance, you have the Lenovo Thinkpad X220T. With 12.5" it's about the same size, and I figure even the battery life is going to be approximately the same. Certainly, it's heavier, but I would think that that Toshiba tablet is a little to unwieldly to have it not rest on a desk.
mSSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:09 PM   #160
Koda
Connoisseur

The Lenovo seems a bit coumbersome... it's an hybrid and maybe the price is higer even for this reason.
A clean tablet like toshiba 13.3" would be perfect for magazines and A4 sized reading.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:09 AM   #161
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koda View Post
The Lenovo seems a bit coumbersome... it's an hybrid and maybe the price is higer even for this reason.
A clean tablet like toshiba 13.3" would be perfect for magazines and A4 sized reading.
The Lenovo, of course, is a real computer. You really can't compare an Android device to a Windows machine on price. There is so much more you can do with it. The question, of course, is if you need the additional functionality.

I would like a 12 or 13" tablet, but with a Mirasol or an improved color e-ink screen. Not just the same old LCD/LED.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:57 AM   #162
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I can't see such a large reader being built with the current technology. The glass substrate is heavy and fragile. I have a 9.7" reader, and it's already difficult to hold for longer reading sessions. The screen, however, is only about half the area of a 8-1/2 x 11 letter-sized piece of paper. So, you would need a reader about the size of two 9.7" readers laid side by side for a 14" reader. It would also probably need a stiffer (i.e. heavier) case to keep the screen from flexing and breaking. The manufacturers probably tried and rejected such designs as impractical. If they could be built with a light, flexible plastic substrate, then a reader of that size might be feasible. Until then, I say don't hold your breath waiting.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:32 AM   #163
Koda
Connoisseur

Quote:
I would like a 12 or 13" tablet, but with a Mirasol or an improved color e-ink screen. Not just the same old LCD/LED
That's the dream of course, but in the meanwhile the Toshiba could be an option, maybe the first real option in that direction.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:55 AM   #164
citron
citron began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
I can't see such a large reader being built with the current technology. The glass substrate is heavy and fragile. I have a 9.7" reader, and it's already difficult to hold for longer reading sessions.
And what about Plastic Logic? It dont have glass substrate and the Weight is 475g for 10.7" screen compare to 650g IPAD3. I would love to also have 10+ " screen but problem is the market. Kindle DX wasn't as successful because mass market for book reading is 6". (reading novel, re-flow content, compact device)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn14MNP0GjE

I believe there is huge potential for 10+ readers in the target group of university staff which reads papers mostly in two column PDF. Another potential are technical people with PDF technical books. But most of the people from these groups usually reads their own PDF content...

There was boom big screen Ebook readers in 2010 but most of them haven't been released or company went out of business because the market is not ready...
http://www.zdnet.com/photos/ces-2010...me#photo-frame

There will be only success when one of the big publishers move printed news from paper to eink. But after News Corp acquired Skiff reader I have feeling that their are too conservative to do that and rather want to keep technology to protect market...
http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/07/s...dle-watch-out/
http://www.skiff.com/press-release.html
http://www.thecoolist.com/skiff-read...mate-e-reader/

Improve touch screen and responsibility and speed is essential for big screen reader success.

Last edited by citron; 03-24-2012 at 03:02 AM.
citron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:41 AM   #165
BoldlyDubious
what if...?
BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: paper & electrophoretic
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
I have a 9.7" reader, and it's already difficult to hold for longer reading sessions.
For what it's worth, my experience with my own 9" reader (weighing around 0.5kg) is that weight is not really an issue. Almost all the time I have the device sitting on my bag (itself on my knees) or on a table. Thanks to the non-LCD screen, viewing angle is not critical at all, so I can easily find a comfortable positioning. There are times when I hold the reader in my hands (e.g., reading while on a crowded bus), but it only happens occasionally.
I would gladly switch to a larger device (accepting a higher weight: say, 1kg). However, a 14" screen is overkill. 12" are sufficient to show A4 pdfs at 100% scale, in conjunction with an on-board cropping option to remove white borders.
BoldlyDubious is offline   Reply With Quote