Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 08-06-2010, 06:19 AM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Cover Advice

I'm working on an illustrated version of Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson. The text is a bit of a nightmare, but I'm just about on top of that. I have good interior illustrations too.

But the cover worries me. Here's what I have so far. Comments or advice on how to make it better very welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cover.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	56252  
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:17 AM   #2
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
I like it.

Have you tried to look at it on the screen of your Kindle or Sony? You might want to make it black and white/greyscale, raise the contrast, or make the "Kidnapped" on top easier to read if necessary. But in general it looks cool.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2010, 08:23 AM   #3
littleredplanet
littleredplanet will become famous soon enoughlittleredplanet will become famous soon enoughlittleredplanet will become famous soon enoughlittleredplanet will become famous soon enoughlittleredplanet will become famous soon enoughlittleredplanet will become famous soon enough

Device: kobo
I agree with Banjobama that it looks nice however, I wonder if it's too 'busy' to make a great ebook cover. With the ebook you really have only about a thumbnail size area to catch a potential customer's eye.

There was a very interesting thread last week about effective covers here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80665

Best wishes,
dale
littleredplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:54 AM   #4
lmpreston
YA Author
lmpreston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lmpreston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lmpreston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lmpreston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lmpreston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lmpreston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lmpreston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lmpreston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lmpreston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lmpreston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lmpreston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I like the initial picture, but think you need to rework the Title words to pop out more.
lmpreston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:03 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the comments so far. I think the comment about it being 'too busy' might be right. I might try to increase the size of the image, clipping some of the surrounding detail, and perhaps increasing the type size.

I will check that the contrast is sufficient for B&W Kindle display, but it's really for the display on the Amazon web site that it needs to be optimised.

And yes, it was that fascinating thread on cover design that prompted me to ask what people thought here.
Advert
Old 08-06-2010, 11:46 AM   #6
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Yup, Pdurrant. Nice, neat image for a paperback. Thing is that you must think of thumbnail cover presentation on line and also how things will look in black and white. My advice would be to think again and with very readable cover text in mind. Luck and best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:09 PM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I might try to increase the size of the image, clipping some of the surrounding detail, and perhaps increasing the type size.
So, do people prefer this cover? I think my font choice might be a bit too delicate — something with thicker uprights might be more legible?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cover2.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	56266  

Last edited by pdurrant; 08-06-2010 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:12 PM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Yup, Pdurrant. Nice, neat image for a paperback. Thing is that you must think of thumbnail cover presentation on line and also how things will look in black and white. My advice would be to think again and with very readable cover text in mind. Luck and best wishes. Neil
I think that you are spot on with the paperback comment. I need to remember that ebook covers aren't going to be viewed as nice 600x800 images, but as 120x160 thumbnails. I'll try some different fonts.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:15 PM   #9
Valmore Daniels
Grand Sorcerer
Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
The font on the second cover stands out - have you tried a sans-serif font, though? That might look a little cleaner.
Valmore Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:42 PM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valmore Daniels View Post
The font on the second cover stands out - have you tried a sans-serif font, though? That might look a little cleaner.
I think you're right, although I want a hint of serif. It's certainly clear in the two samples you've posted which works better at a thumbnail size.

I found ‘Souvenir Gothic’ that seemed OK to me. I certainly think this is my best version so far. Any comments most welcome.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cover3.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	56273  
Old 08-06-2010, 03:05 PM   #11
Valmore Daniels
Grand Sorcerer
Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I think you have a winner!
Valmore Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:32 AM   #12
littleredplanet
littleredplanet will become famous soon enoughlittleredplanet will become famous soon enoughlittleredplanet will become famous soon enoughlittleredplanet will become famous soon enoughlittleredplanet will become famous soon enoughlittleredplanet will become famous soon enough

Device: kobo
The last one looks much better. Cleaner and more contrast to the image. The font works better too.
littleredplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:42 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Cleaner? With all that overly compressed jpeg artifacts?

Is there a copy of the image that does not have any jpeg artifacts?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 05:43 AM   #14
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Cleaner? With all that overly compressed jpeg artifacts?

Is there a copy of the image that does not have any jpeg artifacts?
Yes, this is a very compressed version of the cover. And indeed, with just a scaled up version of the 600x800 original image, rather than making a new 600x800 image of the bit I want.

I won't be using this file — I just wanted people opinions on the differences and overall look. Especially at thumbnail size.

I have to go an get lunch cooked for guests now, but hopefully I'll have time this afternoon to post a more finished version.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:45 PM   #15
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
but hopefully I'll have time this afternoon to post a more finished version.
Well, this evening anyway. I found I was using the original proportions of the illustration, rather than 6x8, so I've fixed that. This has allowed me to increase the size of the text again, without taking away from the illustration. But perhaps I've overdone it?

Anyway, here's a rather less compressed JPG version. I'll be using this, I think, unless something else comes to me before I finish off the text.

As always, comments and/or suggestions are welcome.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cover4b.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	56322