Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-09-2010, 12:29 AM   #1
baker2gs
baker2gs began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Converting PDF Tips

Hi, I just got a Kindle 2 so I'm new to all this. Please bare with me, I'm having a problem viewing them in the native format on the device.

I've done a bunch of a research this evening and found out that there is no zoom option for PDF in the Kindle so naturally I began to look at conversion options.

The one that works well from reading the forums here is Calibre, I had converted a PDF to MOBI, but the formatting was lost in the process, now all the pages are running into each other.

Is there an easy way to convert a PDF to a (better) viewable format on the Kindle 2 that keeps the original format of the PDF, either in Calibre or another program?

Thanks in advance - if there is a post somewhere on these forums that outlines the please let me know.
baker2gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:06 AM   #2
Americanchild
Enthusiast
Americanchild doesn't litterAmericanchild doesn't litter

I use Mobi creator professional version. It is a free download and it seems to do better with pdf to mobi than Calibre.

http://www.mobipocket.com/en/downloa...sp?Language=EN

when you install make sure to select the pro version, the standard version does not convert PDF
Americanchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2010, 09:41 AM   #3
baker2gs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanchild View Post
I use Mobi creator professional version. It is a free download and it seems to do better with pdf to mobi than Calibre.

http://www.mobipocket.com/en/downloa...sp?Language=EN

when you install make sure to select the pro version, the standard version does not convert PDF
Would you say that mobi is the best format to convert a PDF to for use with the Kindle?
Old 03-09-2010, 09:59 AM   #4
Gladtobemom
Connoisseur
Gladtobemom began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook, Palm Z72
If you use the Mobi Creator, you can view the intermediate Html version it creates and fix any artifacts if you need to.

Sometimes little cutesy graphics next to page numbers and other things can cause huge numbers of png files. I just open the intermediate html files and eliminate those, or fix it so they all reference the same png file.
Gladtobemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:53 PM   #5
baker2gs

Okay I got Mobi Creator Publisher and when I build it provides a few different files, html, opf, prc, and xml.

I put the prc on the Kindle and viewing it is the same as the the output from Calibre. The page breaks or formatting is no longer there, it's almost like it's one big file and I'm page down the whole time; page numbers and beginnings of chapters show up in the middle of pages.

Anyone have any suggestions or is there a how-to somewhere? Or is this just how it is when converting from PDF to view on the Kindle?

Last edited by baker2gs; 03-10-2010 at 11:01 PM.
Advert

Tags
conversion, kindle, pdf